• 136 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:120
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:08/30/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

It's been awhile since I have posted. Started a new job and just really ain't liking the new forums lol.. But I have a question and figured this might be a great place to ask... I want to enlist but have been told that they wont take me because of the surgery. Has anyone been able to get into any branch of the Military after having Gastric Bypass Surgery?

Posted Image

#2 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

Do a quick search on this.... there are several current threads discussing this and so far, the answer has been no, you cannot join the military post surgery. Sorry, hon.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#3 oocherryo0

oocherryo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

I tried searching but there are a lot of post to sift through that don't even go with what I searched lol. It's sad really.. Before surgery I NEVER would have though about joining. Now that I feel great and have lost all my weight I would love to serve my country. I really don't feel any different that someone who hasn't had the surgery. I can eat normal foods now... Just smaller amounts and I keep sugar out of my diet for the most part. It's really sad what we are limited to...

Posted Image

#4 kelz684

kelz684

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Hospital:St. Barnabas
  • Start Weight:250
  • Current Weight:116
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:11/26/2007

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Enlisting means bootcamp, which is rigorous and lots of long days and intense training. I think some former service-men/women said that there was times where you had less than 5 mins to eat and what you had would NEVER go well with what a post-opper would need. Add in all the pills, vitamins and protein we need everyday, the Army, Navy, Marines, etc isn't going to bend backwards for you to take those all the time. I'm sorry, but maybe you could possibly look into law enforcement or something like that? While they all have "training" it is more laidback than a real bootcamp.

#5 jmagoni

jmagoni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNorth Providence, RI
  • Surgeon:Jeannine Giovanni M.D.
  • Hospital:Roger Williams Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):6-01
  • Start Weight:391
  • Current Weight:310
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Surgery Date:03/12/2013

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Military enlistment post-op is a negative. Sorry.. In the military, especially during basic training, you have to finish everything on your plate and often in 3-5 minutes. No matter how far out from surgery one may be, this wouldn't bode well for them. Not to mention the uncertainties you face while deployed and the stress it puts on your body/digestive system. I have quite a few friends who have deployed and told me about spending 2-3 weeks at a time in the middle of the desert, sleeping in the sand and eating next to nothing/drinking little water. It's just not safe for either party. Law enforcement would be your best bet if you're looking to become part of a paramilitary organization. The training is similar, but the stress on your digestive system isn't present.

Edited by jmagoni, 26 April 2011 - 05:13 PM.

-Jeff

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality that guarantees all the others. - Winston Churchill

Stop wondering if you can, and know that achievement is as simple as trying - over and over and over again.

Posted Image

#6 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

I tried searching but there are a lot of post to sift through that don't even go with what I searched lol. It's sad really.. Before surgery I NEVER would have though about joining. Now that I feel great and have lost all my weight I would love to serve my country. I really don't feel any different that someone who hasn't had the surgery. I can eat normal foods now... Just smaller amounts and I keep sugar out of my diet for the most part. It's really sad what we are limited to...

the best way to search for it.. would be to limit the search to titles.. that narrows things down a LOT. They limit you due to the potential problems that they don't want to deal with.. and if you think about it, that makes sense. They limit out a lot of other things as well so don't feel singled out!

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#7 oocherryo0

oocherryo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Enlisting means bootcamp, which is rigorous and lots of long days and intense training. I think some former service-men/women said that there was times where you had less than 5 mins to eat and what you had would NEVER go well with what a post-opper would need. Add in all the pills, vitamins and protein we need everyday, the Army, Navy, Marines, etc isn't going to bend backwards for you to take those all the time. I'm sorry, but maybe you could possibly look into law enforcement or something like that? While they all have "training" it is more laidback than a real bootcamp.

Law enforcement really isn't my thing. IMO I don't think we should be treated any different when it comes to things like this. I don't need loads of time to take Vitamins (something I can do in less then 2 mins) and protein is my main source of food and I don't need a ton of time to eat either. I don't get sick when I have to eat in a rush. I can do situps, pushups, climb, and run.. I don't think this surgery limits anything I can do besides eat. Like I said in my last post I can eat almost anything with out getting sick (besides sugar) I just eat smaller portions. That's jmo.

Really though I want to know if anyone has been able to get in at all after the surgery?? If so how did you do it?

Posted Image

#8 oocherryo0

oocherryo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

the best way to search for it.. would be to limit the search to titles.. that narrows things down a LOT. They limit you due to the potential problems that they don't want to deal with.. and if you think about it, that makes sense. They limit out a lot of other things as well so don't feel singled out!

I'll search that way misty. Thank you.

Posted Image

#9 Psparrow

Psparrow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFt. Stewart, GA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Oliver Whipple
  • Hospital:Memorial
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:269
  • Current Weight:168
  • Surgery Date:05/09/2011

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

I posted on another thread about this, but my husband is Active Duty Army and is being medically retired due to a brain tumor and shunt placement. He wanted to go career, so it's definitely been an adjustment knowing that he will soon have to return to civilian life. We tried thinking of some ways to allow him to still feel like he's helping his country, and one of the things we came up with was sending care packages to Walter Reed (Army medical center where wounded warriors go). My husband was there for about a year, so it's a very personal thing for him. You don't have to enlist to support our country, and I know for a fact that any bit you could do to help these soldiers would mean the world. Best of luck to you :)

#10 jmagoni

jmagoni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

Law enforcement really isn't my thing. IMO I don't think we should be treated any different when it comes to things like this. I don't need loads of time to take Vitamins (something I can do in less then 2 mins) and protein is my main source of food and I don't need a ton of time to eat either. I don't get sick when I have to eat in a rush. I can do situps, pushups, climb, and run.. I don't think this surgery limits anything I can do besides eat. Like I said in my last post I can eat almost anything with out getting sick (besides sugar) I just eat smaller portions. That's jmo.

Really though I want to know if anyone has been able to get in at all after the surgery?? If so how did you do it?

It's just not possible. Sorry..I've talked with recruiters out of my own interest and have many friends who are career military, and they all say the same thing, "Not a chance". They're not discriminating against your abilities to do physical activity, but you are a major liability to them with an altered digestive system. Military personnel face extreme conditions when deployed, ones that someone who has had WLS surgery will not be able to handle the same as someone who has a normally functioning digestive system.
-Jeff

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality that guarantees all the others. - Winston Churchill

Stop wondering if you can, and know that achievement is as simple as trying - over and over and over again.

Posted Image

#11 02rsr

02rsr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Hospital:St. Lukes
  • Current Weight:135
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:03/14/2011

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

I'm sorry the military will not allow you to join if you have had WLS. I'm a spouse of an active duty military member and when I was in the process of getting approved there are many places in the paperwork that states you will not be allowed to enlist. If you are an active duty member and have the procedure done, it is grounds for a discharge. Sorry :(
Start Weight 250

Surgery Date 3/14/2010

250/135/135

Start weight/current/my goal

#12 kelz684

kelz684

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

It's just not possible. Sorry..I've talked with recruiters out of my own interest and have many friends who are career military, and they all say the same thing, "Not a chance". They're not discriminating against your abilities to do physical activity, but you are a major liability to them with an altered digestive system. Military personnel face extreme conditions when deployed, ones that someone who has had WLS surgery will not be able to handle the same as someone who has a normally functioning digestive system.

It's hopeless.. you can't change people when they are determined. There have been numerous threads on this and you are a liability. They won't let a lot of people in and yes we are different than most others. It isn't discrimination... again you are a giant liability. Sorry.

#13 berna79

berna79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Martin
  • Hospital:Madigan
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:271
  • Current Weight:169
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:03/14/2011

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

I am sorry to say joining the military is a negative. I had my orientation for weight loss at an army hospital ans the sugeon mentioned anyone enlisted is banned from this type of surgery and joining after having this surgery is not allowed to join. Mainly because you wont be deployable and the army requies you to be mission ready. Volunteering is something you can do to be part of the organization and I know you mentioned not interested in law enforcement bu basically that is what the army is. Good luck on your new adventures

Posted Image

#14 oocherryo0

oocherryo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

I posted on another thread about this, but my husband is Active Duty Army and is being medically retired due to a brain tumor and shunt placement. He wanted to go career, so it's definitely been an adjustment knowing that he will soon have to return to civilian life. We tried thinking of some ways to allow him to still feel like he's helping his country, and one of the things we came up with was sending care packages to Walter Reed (Army medical center where wounded warriors go). My husband was there for about a year, so it's a very personal thing for him. You don't have to enlist to support our country, and I know for a fact that any bit you could do to help these soldiers would mean the world. Best of luck to you :)

I would love to support our military by sending care pckgs but we are struggling right now. That is one of the reasons I want to enlist. I want a better life for my family. I can't get anywhere with education because I'm the supporter in my family. I can't go part time to go to school. Thanks. I have a great recruiter that says she will fight for me the best she can. I understand though that government is hard to change LOL. Maybe a few of us can get it changed though.

Posted Image

#15 oocherryo0

oocherryo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

It's hopeless.. you can't change people when they are determined. There have been numerous threads on this and you are a liability. They won't let a lot of people in and yes we are different than most others. It isn't discrimination... again you are a giant liability. Sorry.

Like I had said. I haven't been on this forum for awhile (now I can remember another reason why I left) I did try to search before I posted. It didn't pull up helpful threads. Then mistee was kind enough to tell me how to search it.

I appreciate you opinion on it but I want someone who has actually tried to do it and been told no. Not just I have heard and this is what happened to someone else or this is what this website says.. Things can and have changed before.

Posted Image

#16 Erika

Erika

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:256
  • Current Weight:126
  • Goal Weight:136
  • Surgery Date:09/07/2010

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

More power to you if this is something you are interested in exploring.

As someone who has gone through bootcamp, I cannot imagine it working out well post-op. Vitamins were not allowed. Supplements were not allowed. Medications were not allowed. We had no choices over the food we ate, how long we got to eat, and no choices over how much to drink and when. You would be required to drink with meals. Because of being female, we were required to drink 2 big glasses of cranberry juice every morning to fend off UTIs (no choice about it, we drank while being screamed at to drink it faster).... there is no way I could handle 24 oz of cranberry juice each morning now.

I can't blame the military for not wanting post ops.... the risks of complications coming up even years later or nutritional issues coming up in the long run and then they would be responsible for the medical bills.
Trying to get back on track after having a baby :)

#17 jmagoni

jmagoni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

Like I had said. I haven't been on this forum for awhile (now I can remember another reason why I left) I did try to search before I posted. It didn't pull up helpful threads. Then mistee was kind enough to tell me how to search it.

I appreciate you opinion on it but I want someone who has actually tried to do it and been told no. Not just I have heard and this is what happened to someone else or this is what this website says.. Things can and have changed before.

I think you're missing valuable posts here. I have already stated, I have tried, and been told "No". Others have said the same. I know it is something you really want to do, but you can't ignore the reality of the situation. The government has strict rules about who can enlist. They aren't just targeting WLS patients. Many people are medically disqualified from service. WLS puts you in this category. Good luck in whatever you decide to pursue!
-Jeff

Posted Image

#18 oocherryo0

oocherryo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

I think you're missing valuable posts here. I have already stated, I have tried, and been told "No". Others have said the same. I know it is something you really want to do, but you can't ignore the reality of the situation. The government has strict rules about who can enlist. They aren't just targeting WLS patients. Many people are medically disqualified from service. WLS puts you in this category. Good luck in whatever you decide to pursue!

I wasn't quoting you. I was telling Kelzz or what ever her name is I was looking for someone who has tried.

Edited by oocherryo0, 26 April 2011 - 07:55 PM.

Posted Image

#19 kelz684

kelz684

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

I wasn't quoting you. I was telling Kelzz or what ever her name is I was looking for someone who has tried.

Or whatever my name is? I have a name. If you aren't going to take the advice and just do it, why do you bother asking?

We all have said that there are other threads about this that are RECENT, like as of the past week...and even 2 people chimed in stating they tried and were told no... It is good that you want to serve your country, but do you want it cos you are hard up for money/benefits? Because if you are, someone starting in the military isn't going to make much to fend for themselves, let alone a family, unless you enlist as an officer... to my understanding it is hard to enlist as an officer... mostly never happens.

#20 chamacos

chamacos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:360
  • Current Weight:207
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:07/13/2010

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

I checked about joining the national guard and this surgery disqualify all of us, permanently. There's no waiver either. Law enforcement seems to be the only route if you like that type of career.