BamsGirl

Throw up??

36 posts in this topic

Ok I know this is gross but am wondering about this. My fiance' had a bypass 3 years ago and when he eats to much he gets sick but can't throw up, he actually just spits over and over. He said you can't throw up after this surgery. So I am wondering if this is true for everyone? Also what can he do when he gets sick, I can't touch his stomach because it hurts so bad, Thanks for any info.

Ok I know this is gross but am wondering about this. My fiance' had a bypass 3 years ago and when he eats to much he gets sick but can't throw up, he actually just spits over and over. He said you can't throw up after this surgery. So I am wondering if this is true for everyone? Also what can he do when he gets sick, I can't touch his stomach because it hurts so bad, Thanks for any info.

I throw up. I threw up constantly after surgery - several times a day. (No stricture, just unlucky.) Now it's once a week or so, when something doesn't agree with me. Maybe it's just hard for some people to throw up? I used to be a bulimic, so I pretty much have the gag reflex mastered. :lol: (kidding)

No, I have thrown up. It seems a little harder, and is definitely a little different than the previous throw up with stomach acid, but I throw up. I actually will drink more water if I am not feeling well to give my stomach more fluid to expel whatever is bothering it. (Had issues twice with fish.)

Now I stay away from fish and am trying to train myself to eat slower and STOP! It is the one extra bite that can do you in and make you sick.

I have never actually vomited (had the foamies once when I didn't chew enough).

Some people do have issues with nausea and vomiting - thankfully I didn't but I've also been careful to stick with the guidelines I was given on measuring/weighing my food to avoid overeating - maybe that's something your fiance should do to avoid to avoid the spitting and painful stomach issues.

I have thrown up foam and thick spit and that is it. I thought too that it was weird that no food comes up but for that I am thankful :lol:

I puke all the time :(. Sometimes it is just thick spit and other times it is the food too. It looks just like it did when I chewed it up..Gross I know but there isn't any tummy acid its just soaked in spit.

I threw up 3 times, but I had a stricture. I was disappointed to discover that for me, it was just like throwing up used to be but without the bitter bile taste. Still went up my nose, still made me feel awful. Fewer dry heaves, maybe.

I know this is an older thread but...since my gastric bypass (in dec 2014) I cannot throw up. I get nauseous at times like I NEED to but I just heave-and the problem is when I do that, my head swells up with pressure that leaves me with an extreme amount of pain in my head-throbbing! (You know that feeling if you sneeze holding your nose? WORSE!) yesterday I felt like I had a little bit of food poisoning--and my nausea lasted off and on all day with several "bouts" of the horrible heaving! Felt like my head blew up and I've had a headache almost 24 hours. Didn't know if this was a common occurrence with anyone else. I'll call my doc Monday (today is Saturday) any help would be appreciated!

9 minutes ago, raiderjules said:

I know this is an older thread but...since my gastric bypass (in dec 2014) I cannot throw up. I get nauseous at times like I NEED to but I just heave-and the problem is when I do that, my head swells up with pressure that leaves me with an extreme amount of pain in my head-throbbing! (You know that feeling if you sneeze holding your nose? WORSE!) yesterday I felt like I had a little bit of food poisoning--and my nausea lasted off and on all day with several "bouts" of the horrible heaving! Felt like my head blew up and I've had a headache almost 24 hours. Didn't know if this was a common occurrence with anyone else. I'll call my doc Monday (today is Saturday) any help would be appreciated!

I had a VSG and appear to have no problems with vomiting the little bit in my esophagus if I over-eat. Yes, and it is mostly saliva sometimes! maybe @cinwa or @Res Ipsa or @ThinCVT or some other Adults on the site have some idea about this...

It's been 6 year since I posted my reply above and to this day (getting on for 10 years post-RNY) I have still not thrown up.

I've had a couple of bouts of nausea/stomach flu etc., but the most I've ever done is heave over and over.

If you get an answer from your doc Jules, please post and let us know what s/he said and/or recommends.

I have thrown up twice for eating to quickly. 

Looking for some help here. My wife is 7 weeks post op with a gastric bypass. She has been throwing up continually for the past 3 weeks. When it first started we went to the ER and they diagnosed her with pancreatitis, and kept her for a week on fluids. She continued to throw up the entire week. I say throw up, but it is more like a straining dry heave with some thick saliva. What little she does eat doesn't usually come up. Had a gastro Dr look at things and after several X-rays, CTs and MRIs they came to the conclusion that it is a side effect of the surgery. Her surgeon ordered a TPN for her. That was 3 weeks ago. She will still throw up saliva. Sometimes it is foamy, but mostly clear. Any help, suggestions or guidance will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Tom   

NerdyLady likes this

Hi TomR73, pancreatitis really sucks and sympathy to your wife. It is the only pain I know that is worse than kidney stones and childbirth. It takes time to get better and thank God for the TPN. She needs the nutrition in the TPN to help heal up the pancreas. The ONLY thing that helps is the passage of time and what the docs call bowel rest. The pancreatitis will subside and then she will be able to eat although it will be only liquids to start. Let us know how she is doing and if you need to vent or scream or ask more, use  the forum!

NerdyLady likes this

Thanks for the responses. I thought I would give an update. After 4-5 weeks of being on TPN and using various nausea medications my wife started to dry heave continuously. I brought her to the ER on Monday and after a few days of testing and trying more medication a DR finally decided to target the gallbladder. They did a sonogram and a HIDA scan and decided that it needed to go. They removed it this morning. It has been like flipping a switch, she is talking and laughing, so far no nausea. We are planning on staying one more night here at the hospital and go home tomorrow. Praying that this is the turning point in this journey.  

Wow, @TomR73, great update! So glad things are looking up!

Hi Tom, thanks for the update. I sure hope this IS the turning point! Keep us posted.

So glad that it looks like her troubles might be at an end. What an awful experience. I hope this does the trick! Best wishes.

That is wonderful news Tom. 

4 hours ago, TomR73 said:

Thanks for the responses. I thought I would give an update. After 4-5 weeks of being on TPN and using various nausea medications my wife started to dry heave continuously. I brought her to the ER on Monday and after a few days of testing and trying more medication a DR finally decided to target the gallbladder. They did a sonogram and a HIDA scan and decided that it needed to go. They removed it this morning. It has been like flipping a switch, she is talking and laughing, so far no nausea. We are planning on staying one more night here at the hospital and go home tomorrow. Praying that this is the turning point in this journey.  

I'm incredibly happy to hear this news. Here's to a speedy recovery for your wife!

And so the saga continues..... Following the gallbladder removal Dixie had 2 full days of feeling good and eating, the only trouble being pain from the surgery. We left the hospital on Sunday, with her feeling good and ready for a nausea free future, even made an appointment for Friday to get the PICC line taken out. Her appetite was back and I went on a grocery trip to get stuff she would like and be able to eat. Two meals on Sunday and three or four on Monday came to an end when she woke up on Tuesday. Tuesday morning Dixie had complaints of her stomach not feeling good, hoping maybe it was just gas buildup from the procedure. She took it easy during the day and didn't eat much. Tuesday night it all went down hill. Starting around 6pm, all nausea and vomiting. Called the DR and made appointments for the next day. She finally went to sleep sometime around 4am. We cancelled the DR on Wed, because she was sleeping, and planned on going Friday. Sunday we had started the TPN back up so she wouldn't get dehydrated or malnourished while she was getting back into the eating habit. Wednesday evening I got to looking into what was in the TPN, suspecting it of causing the nausea. Several of the ingredients in it have nausea and vomiting listed as side affects. I stopped the TPN Wed night to see if there was any changes. She slept mostly all night and only vomiting a few times Thursday. Ah-ha, I thought, I cracked the case. Nope. Thursday night at least once an hour, you know what. Finally around 8pm we loaded up and headed back to the hospital. So, here we are again all tests show good. Nothing wrong. Her poor body just doesn't like the RNY. We are in the process of getting it reversed, but DR wants to do one last test for motility of the esophagus. This test is only done on Monday and Thursday, so we wait. After the test results come back, probably normal, we will work on the reverse. The only problem is that the DR wants to wait five more weeks to allow her abdomen time to heal from the gallbladder removal. We will see if this can be moved.

Thanks for following our story. I will post what is to come.

Tom

NerdyLady likes this

Oh no! So sorry to hear of the setback! I wonder if they gave her anti nausea meds for the surgery, and those tricked us! I wonder if you can get some of those meds to take at home while she waits for reversal. So sorry for you both. Thank you for the update.

Oh my, this is horrible news...So sorry to hear this...Sending prayers that they can find out what is causing the problem..

NerdyLady likes this

15 hours ago, TomR73 said:

And so the saga continues..... Following the gallbladder removal Dixie had 2 full days of feeling good and eating, the only trouble being pain from the surgery. We left the hospital on Sunday, with her feeling good and ready for a nausea free future, even made an appointment for Friday to get the PICC line taken out. Her appetite was back and I went on a grocery trip to get stuff she would like and be able to eat. Two meals on Sunday and three or four on Monday came to an end when she woke up on Tuesday. Tuesday morning Dixie had complaints of her stomach not feeling good, hoping maybe it was just gas buildup from the procedure. She took it easy during the day and didn't eat much. Tuesday night it all went down hill. Starting around 6pm, all nausea and vomiting. Called the DR and made appointments for the next day. She finally went to sleep sometime around 4am. We cancelled the DR on Wed, because she was sleeping, and planned on going Friday. Sunday we had started the TPN back up so she wouldn't get dehydrated or malnourished while she was getting back into the eating habit. Wednesday evening I got to looking into what was in the TPN, suspecting it of causing the nausea. Several of the ingredients in it have nausea and vomiting listed as side affects. I stopped the TPN Wed night to see if there was any changes. She slept mostly all night and only vomiting a few times Thursday. Ah-ha, I thought, I cracked the case. Nope. Thursday night at least once an hour, you know what. Finally around 8pm we loaded up and headed back to the hospital. So, here we are again all tests show good. Nothing wrong. Her poor body just doesn't like the RNY. We are in the process of getting it reversed, but DR wants to do one last test for motility of the esophagus. This test is only done on Monday and Thursday, so we wait. After the test results come back, probably normal, we will work on the reverse. The only problem is that the DR wants to wait five more weeks to allow her abdomen time to heal from the gallbladder removal. We will see if this can be moved.

Tom

I'm so sorry that this is happening to Dixie. I hope that the esophagus tests come back with good news. Please keep us posted. Your wife is in my thoughts 

TomR73, this sounds very similar to my story.  Right now I'm sitting at home hooked up to tpn via picc line and have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.  I'm feeling very anxious....Have things gotten any better with Dixie?  Were the doctors able to find out what is wrong?

On 7/1/2017 at 4:56 PM, TomR73 said:

Tom

Hi Tom missed this posting when you made it. So sorry! The pancreatitis quieted down? Hope Dixie better asap!