• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
bigtime

Numb Thighs after surgery?

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone gotten a good answer on why they have a dead spot on their thigh after surgery? I know that not everyone has experienced this but many people that I have talked to on here have.

bigtime likes this

I don't have a dead spot on my thigh, but I do still have a fully numb lower belly from surgery four years ago. It came in handy for all those heparin injections though... The doctor told me that there are loads of nerves that need to reconnect and sometimes they just don't.

Has anyone gotten a good answer on why they have a dead spot on their thigh after surgery? I know that not everyone has experienced this but many people that I have talked to on here have.

Absolutely! I'm 5 months out and still have a dead spot on my right thigh. My dr. figures it's because that's where I got most of my morphine shots and that they must have either nicked or severed a nerve in doing so. He said the feeling may come back but it might take a year or two..if ever. At first, I found it really annoying but after 5 months, I'm quite used to it. I'm still hoping the feeling comes back though..

I still have a numb spot (actually it's quite large) on my right thigh that I got after my first c-section almost 8 years ago. It has never gotten any better and I don't suspect at this point that it will. It's only annoying when I notice a large bruise and have no idea how or when it happened.

We discussed this with my Dr. at our group meeting last week. Like others have said, it's because during surgery nerves get cut and it takes time for them to reconnect, and sometimes they never do. My dead spot went away about 6 months post-op. :)

Stuff like this is always worth running by your doc.

And it's always worth asking for some bloodword done too. I had Thamine and B12 deficiency post-op and I had areas of numbness on my legs.

I still have a numb right thigh. Sometimes it feels like pins and needles and somtimes it's just numb. Dr. said it they was I was tied on the table during surgery and it's common and will go away. It's nerve damage so I hope it does remedy itself soon. It's rather annoying.

Just got home from the hospital...and my left thigh has a numb section! So weird... my Dr said the same thing about being strapped on the table.

I've actually not heard of this. Interesting.

I experienced a burning sensation on the skin on my hips for a few weeks after surgery. It started a few weeks after. I guess it's the same type of thing.

Woke up with feeling back again in my thigh...so that's a little relief.

I'm almost 6 weeks out and I still have constant numbness on the outside of both my thighs. From above my knee

All the way to my hips. Sometimes it feels burning. It's very annoying and I pray it goes away. I thought it would have by now.

I haven't had my RNY yet but after I had my gallbladder removed, years ago, I had that problem ( left thigh) still have it to this day...When I asked my surgeon he acted like I was nuts and told me that it was NOT from his surgery..funny I didn't have it before HIS surgery!! I have always wondered why..