aubbers

complications years later

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I"m new here. I had RNY in 2003. Last week I had to have emergency surgery for intussusception (where your small intestine telescopes into it's self and becomes obstructed).

They had to remove 6 inches of small intestine. Has anyone had this problem? Also, I am only able to eat like I did about a month after my bypass surgery. It's been a long time. Has anyone else had revisions or other procedures and gone through this?

Hi, I"m new here. I had RNY in 2003. Last week I had to have emergency surgery for intussusception (where your small intestine telescopes into it's self and becomes obstructed).

They had to remove 6 inches of small intestine. Has anyone had this problem? Also, I am only able to eat like I did about a month after my bypass surgery. It's been a long time. Has anyone else had revisions or other procedures and gone through this?

I have heard of this before they say once we lose so much weight that it leaves open spaces in our abdomen and our intestines can loop around and get twisted. I am so sorry you have had to go through that I don't think it is common but it does happen. I hope you have nothing but smooth sailing from here on out. Great job on your weight loss and keeping your weight off for the long term. Welcome to TT.

goingtobethinin2010 likes this

I have heard of this before they say once we lose so much weight that it leaves open spaces in our abdomen and our intestines can loop around and get twisted. I am so sorry you have had to go through that I don't think it is common but it does happen. I hope you have nothing but smooth sailing from here on out. Great job on your weight loss and keeping your weight off for the long term. Welcome to TT.

I had not heard about that before. Thanks for the info!

The only other one I can think of that has had that was Beth (nick: MiladyB) and maybe Kelly (Kelz684)

The telescoping intestines is not the same as the looping and twisting, from what I understand.. the telescoping is more internal to the intestine and the looping and twisting is more external. I am not sure what causes the telescoping though. I'm wondering if it's nerve related, perhaps? It might be due to the more open spaces but I don't think it would be dependent on that to happen.

Did the doctors say what causes it at all?

According to PubMed.gov intussusceptions are a recognised complication of a gastric bypass.

Apparently, "The etiology remains largely obscure" - a medical term for "we don't know the cause".

This is an interesting read from the asmbs.org: http://www.asbs.org/html/pdf/soard_article_080606.pdf

Particularly:

ConclusionIntussusception after RYGB for morbid obesity is a rare

and challenging problem requiring early diagnostic radiologic

evaluation and surgical intervention. The etiology

remains obscure but is likely multifactorial, involving unrecognized

lead points and intestinal dysmotility. Adhesions

play a role and may explain why no reported cases have

occurred after laparoscopic gastric bypass. CT should be

obtained early, because it has the best diagnostic accuracy.

A surgeon familiar with the techniques of bariatric surgery

should undertake exploration. Given the logarithmic growth

in obesity surgery, we suspect that intussusception after

RYGB will be more frequently encountered, and we recommend

early radiologic evaluation, consultation with a

bariatric surgeon, and surgical intervention.

I've had pain on occasion and was once diagnosed with the intussception a few years ago but it seemed to come and go and it was agreed we could keep an eye on it and avoid surgery at that time. I was told to watch for signs though, in case it did become obstructed. It seemed the pain would occur when I had not eaten in a long while and stomach acid was high. I could usually make the pain stop with antacids or eating.

I'm not sure if these were separate pains and the Drs didn't know either. When I was first diagnosed, I did find that it can be a rare complication after Open RNY. Hopefully, this will be the only occurrence. This surgery and recovery have been far worse than my original RNY.