• Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:310
  • Current Weight:173
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.5
  • Surgery Date:02/17/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

Hi. I had my gastric bypass surgery on 02/17/2010. A little over a year ago. I'm still 45 pounds from my goal weight and I haven't been losing anything the past few months. I feel that I can eat more now and it takes more to get me full. What can I do to get things back on track? Is it normal to stop losing after a year? This is really frustrating for me because I eat a lot of fruit and healthy foods, no junk.

#2 Dr. Callery

Dr. Callery

Bariatric Surgeon

• Administrators
  • 634 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:10 AM

Hi. I had my gastric bypass surgery on 02/17/2010. A little over a year ago. I'm still 45 pounds from my goal weight and I haven't been losing anything the past few months. I feel that I can eat more now and it takes more to get me full. What can I do to get things back on track? Is it normal to stop losing after a year? This is really frustrating for me because I eat a lot of fruit and healthy foods, no junk.

Sounds like you've done very well. You posted that your current BMI is 23. That's well into the normal range. Many people who are heavy have uneven distribution of fat. For instance, they may be much heavier in the hips than in the upper body. These folks will typically get relatively lean on top, but still have large hips and perhaps 10 to 15 pounds of loose skin and fat. Rather than set a "goal weight" off the charts or off wishful thinking, take a look at how you look and feel. If you are lean around the neck and shoulders, that is, if you have definition of your neck muscles and collar bones, you have probably reached about as low as your body wants to go.

On average people lose about 75 - 80 percent of their excess weight the first 1 to 2 years. Then on average they regain about 10 to 15% for a final excess weight loss of 65% at 5 years. You are about right on track by the numbers. You may be able to lose more weight by careful food selection, avoiding snacking, and eating small meals, but it may not be healthy. Check how you look, how you feel, and where the fat is distributed. Also check how your medical problems have improved. I bet you feel a lot better and stronger than before surgery. Thanks for posting and good luck with your progress.
Join our Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/thinnertimes
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drcallery
Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/vBLUX

This advice is not a substitute for a consultation with your doctor, nutritionist, or other healthcare professional.
As always, if you have a problem or health-related complication (or emergency), please contact the proper authorities immediately.

#3 sporkthis

sporkthis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Hugo Berarra
  • Hospital:Sharp
  • Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:310
  • Current Weight:173
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.5
  • Surgery Date:02/17/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

Sounds like you've done very well. You posted that your current BMI is 23. That's well into the normal range. Many people who are heavy have uneven distribution of fat. For instance, they may be much heavier in the hips than in the upper body. These folks will typically get relatively lean on top, but still have large hips and perhaps 10 to 15 pounds of loose skin and fat. Rather than set a "goal weight" off the charts or off wishful thinking, take a look at how you look and feel. If you are lean around the neck and shoulders, that is, if you have definition of your neck muscles and collar bones, you have probably reached about as low as your body wants to go.

On average people lose about 75 - 80 percent of their excess weight the first 1 to 2 years. Then on average they regain about 10 to 15% for a final excess weight loss of 65% at 5 years. You are about right on track by the numbers. You may be able to lose more weight by careful food selection, avoiding snacking, and eating small meals, but it may not be healthy. Check how you look, how you feel, and where the fat is distributed. Also check how your medical problems have improved. I bet you feel a lot better and stronger than before surgery. Thanks for posting and good luck with your progress.

Hi, my body isn't physically where I want it to be. I've set a new goal of 150 so, I need to lose 25 more pounds. I've been going to the gym and eating 3 small meals and 1 snack everyday and I'm not losing. This is extremely frustrating for me. My mom said that maybe my body just needs a break because I've already lost so much so it's stopping me from losing. I don't know if that's true or not which is why I've been trying harder. I don't think I'm drinking enough water throughout the day so maybe that has something to do with it? Also, is it true that I'm able to eat as much fruit as I want or does that only apply to vegetables? I eat a lot of tangerines, bananas, strawberries... is that ok?

#4 Dr. Callery

Dr. Callery

Bariatric Surgeon

• Administrators
  • 634 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:44 AM

Hi, my body isn't physically where I want it to be. I've set a new goal of 150 so, I need to lose 25 more pounds. I've been going to the gym and eating 3 small meals and 1 snack everyday and I'm not losing. This is extremely frustrating for me. My mom said that maybe my body just needs a break because I've already lost so much so it's stopping me from losing. I don't know if that's true or not which is why I've been trying harder. I don't think I'm drinking enough water throughout the day so maybe that has something to do with it? Also, is it true that I'm able to eat as much fruit as I want or does that only apply to vegetables? I eat a lot of tangerines, bananas, strawberries... is that ok?

Fruit is rich in fructose, a sugar. Vegetables have a lot less plant sugar and thus fewer calories per serving. Fruit and fruit juices can be a trap.

So you have to be very careful with fruit. Get a calorie counter book or go to an appropriate web site and track the calories you are consuming from fruit. As always, its calories in vs calories consumed. It doesn't matter where the calories come from.
Join our Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/thinnertimes
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drcallery
Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/vBLUX

This advice is not a substitute for a consultation with your doctor, nutritionist, or other healthcare professional.
As always, if you have a problem or health-related complication (or emergency), please contact the proper authorities immediately.