• Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:256
  • Current Weight:193
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40.5
  • Surgery Date:02/01/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Hi doctor Ive asked this question several times...but noone really knows the answer...I hope you can explain it to me....I know we are not suppose to have soda....for obvious reasons...and Im not a soda drinker.... but my vice is carbonated water....it has nothing in it calories, anything but its carbonated...are we allowed to have this? Im almost 8 weeks out
start/bsur/now/my goal
255/249/189/155
1st Goal- 225 lbs DONE 3.3.11
2nd goal- 200 lbs DONE 5.25.11
3rd Goal- 175 lbs
4th Goal- 155 lbs (100 lbs down!!)

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Calorie Counter[/url

#2 Dr. Callery

Dr. Callery

Bariatric Surgeon

• Administrators
  • 626 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Hi doctor Ive asked this question several times...but noone really knows the answer...I hope you can explain it to me....I know we are not suppose to have soda....for obvious reasons...and Im not a soda drinker.... but my vice is carbonated water....it has nothing in it calories, anything but its carbonated...are we allowed to have this? Im almost 8 weeks out

Great question! The conventional wisdom is that carbonated beverages should be avoided after gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Reasons stated include potential stretching of the pouch or sleeve and uncomfortable bloating caused by the expanding gas. These reasons make common sense, but to the best of my knowledge have never been tested in an objective manner. I suppose one would have to have half of a randomized group drink sodas for five or ten years and the other not. So you can see that that's just not going to happen. The question "do sodas stretch the pouch" will remain unanswered.

Another reason that surgeons advise against sodas is the possibility that drinking calorie free sodas will pave the way to drinking sugary sodas. Again, I don't know if that's likely or not, but drinking sugar sodas is the kiss of death to successful weight loss maintenance after bariatric surgery.

Really drinking any calorie containing beverages including juice bar drinks, vegetable juice, sodas, sports drinks, kids sugar drinks, ice tea containing sugar, coffee with milk, and beer will lead to intake than more calories than needed and weight gain. Now does that mean No Milk, No Juice.....? Well not really. It just means that if you drink liquid calories, you have to figure it into your daily calorie allotment and eat less of other foods. Since many calorie containing liquids have little nourishment other than sugar, that means eating less healthy stuff. A bad trade off. To summarize, if you do drink calorie containing liquids, make sure they are nutritious and include the calories in your daily calorie allotment. If they are of little nutritious value, make them small, occasional, a real treat. So have that glass of orange juice or glass of milk or glass of wine, but remember that they contain about 100 - 120 calories so skip something else and keep your calorie budget intact. Drink your calories responsibly. :)
Join our Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/thinnertimes
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/drcallery
Subscribe to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/vBLUX

This advice is not a substitute for a consultation with your doctor, nutritionist, or other healthcare professional.
As always, if you have a problem or health-related complication (or emergency), please contact the proper authorities immediately.

#3 50 is the New 40!

50 is the New 40!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHonolulu
  • Surgeon:Dr. Robert Lim
  • Hospital:TAMC Tripler Army Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:228
  • Current Weight:170
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:05/02/2011

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

Great question! The conventional wisdom is that carbonated beverages should be avoided after gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Reasons stated include potential stretching of the pouch or sleeve and uncomfortable bloating caused by the expanding gas. These reasons make common sense, but to the best of my knowledge have never been tested in an objective manner. I suppose one would have to have half of a randomized group drink sodas for five or ten years and the other not. So you can see that that's just not going to happen. The question "do sodas stretch the pouch" will remain unanswered.

Another reason that surgeons advise against sodas is the possibility that drinking calorie free sodas will pave the way to drinking sugary sodas. Again, I don't know if that's likely or not, but drinking sugar sodas is the kiss of death to successful weigh loss maintenance after bariatric surgery.

Really drinking any calorie containing beverages including juice bar drinks, vegetable juice, sodas, sports drinks, kids sugar drinks, ice tea containing sugar, coffee with milk, and beer will lead to intake than more calories than needed and weight gain. Now does that mean No Milk, No Juice.....? Well not really. It just means that if you drink liquid calories, you have to figure it into your daily calorie allotment and eat less of other foods. Since many calorie containing liquids have little nourishment other than sugar, that means eating less healthy stuff. A bad trade off. To summarize, if you do drink calorie containing liquids, make sure they are nutritious and include the calories in your daily calorie allotment. If they are of little nutritious value, make them small, occasional, a real treat. So have that glass of orange juice or glass of milk or glass of wine, but remember that they contain about 100 - 120 calories so skip something else and keep your calorie budget intact. Drink your calories responsibly. :)

Excellent advice Dr. C. I think you hit the nail on the head. Calories count. Count your calories. Thanks for question and the advice. :)

Posted Image

5 lbs away from normal BMI

#4 Mirabelle

Mirabelle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Morris Washington
  • Hospital:Centrastate
  • Start Weight:265
  • Current Weight:143
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:07/12/2010

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

I was a really big diet soda drinker before my surgery. I gave it up for good when I started my pre-op diet and I would venture to guess that giving up soda (yes, even diet soda) has contributed to my significant weight loss in the past 9 months (over 120 pounds!).

I did attempt to try a very small amount when I was a few months post op and was immedietly hit by sharp sharp pain. Totally not worth it.

First bariatric appointment weigh in: 265
Day of Surgery 7/12/10 (after 3 week liquid diet): 238
Current Weight: 152

Bariatric PA's goal: 165 (achieved on Dec 31st!)Bariatric surgeon's goal: 131 (I"ll believe it when I see it!!!)

:pMommy to three little girls! Married to the best guy in the world!

#5 madrigal_singer

madrigal_singer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Surgeon:Soloman
  • Hospital:Torrance Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):35
  • Surgery Date:03/16/2011

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Another reason that surgeons advise against sodas is the possibility that drinking calorie free sodas will pave the way to drinking sugary sodas. Again, I don't know if that's likely or not, but drinking sugar sodas is the kiss of death to successful weigh loss maintenance after bariatric surgery.

I make my morning (decaf) tea count by using vanilla protein powder mixed with milk to make a morning tea latte. Although there is calories, I get almost 20 grams of protein in my 16 oz tea without pain!
Posted Image

Scale Stompers #51

“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?” -- Rabbi Hillel

3/16/11: 247 BMI: 41
4/16/11: 217 BMI: 36
5/16/11: 209.4 BMI: 35.1