• Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:258
  • Current Weight:135
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.7
  • Surgery Date:08/18/2009
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

Has anybody heard of Planet Fitness??? We have one opening up in May. They are pre-selling memberships. It sounds to good to be true. No commitment, $10 a month, or they have a 19.99 one that includes unlimited tanning and use of their massage chairs. I was just wondering if any of you heard of this.
Date of Surgery 8/18/09

highest/Date of Surgery/Current/Goal

256/234/135/150

GOAL ACHIEVED 5/12/10

Official Membery of The Century Club 7/15/10

#2 gnaed

gnaed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Surgeon:Terence Clarke
  • Hospital:Ellis
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:135
  • Goal Weight:129
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.7
  • Surgery Date:02/14/2011

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

There's one very close to my house. A lot of people go there and love it. It has a different atmosphere than most gyms, very female oriented and very reasonably priced. The only reason I don't go there is because I get a similar deal from the gym I already belonged to when that one opened (and I have a small philosophical issue with a gym that keeps tootsie rolls on the counter and has bagel and pizza days, but that's personal).
~Karen~

5402199.png

Weight:
247/210/135/129 = highest (11/25/10)/surgery (2/14/11)/Today/goal

Goals:
Under 200 / Halfway mark / 189 / 179 / 169 / 159 / 149 / 147 (100lbs.) / 141 (Normal) / 139 / 135
[size=6
Size [s]24 22 20 18 16 14[/s] 12 10
8[/size] [size=4]6

#3 Lori88

Lori88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • LocationRI
  • Surgeon:Dr. Pohl
  • Hospital:Roger Williams
  • Start Weight:240
  • Current Weight:118
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:01/05/2011

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:16 AM

That is the gym I belong too and I love it. It is a gym for everyone - at least the one I belong to - all ages, men & women, all different shapes and sizes. They don’t offer any classes but they have treadmills, elliptical, stair climbers, bikes and all different weight machines and free weights. :lol:

Lori
CURRENT WEIGHT: 116-120lbs :D 
Lowest weight after WLS: 108

Highest weight 240
Date Of Surgery: 1/5/2011

#4 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,912 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:22 AM

You need to check if you're going to be locked into a 1 year contract.

It seems that there has been an issue with members trying to cancel their membership and having to pay for the priviledge. Being a franchise operation, it's worth Googling for all things Planet Fitness related (particiularly your local gym) before commiting yourself.

But that applies to all gym's requiring an annual membership subscription.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#5 RacheyRoo

RacheyRoo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTomball, Tx
  • Surgeon:Dr. T. Jayakumar
  • Hospital:First Street Hospital, Houston, Tx
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:373
  • Current Weight:257
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:12/28/2010

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

they have a few around here as well.. not the gym i joined but when i lived in my apts they were offering a special with no sign up fees or something of that nature
Heaviest/DOS/CURRENT/GOAL
373/ 358 / 230 / 140-145
Scale Stomper 36 :-)

#6 lisalee

lisalee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Leland Cook
  • Hospital:Frye Regional
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:129
  • Surgery Date:12/10/2010

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Has anybody heard of Planet Fitness??? We have one opening up in May. They are pre-selling memberships. It sounds to good to be true. No commitment, $10 a month, or they have a 19.99 one that includes unlimited tanning and use of their massage chairs. I was just wondering if any of you heard of this.

I am a member and really Love it! You get all shapes sizes and ages and its truly a no judgement zone. They have alot of equipment so you don't have to wait for machines. You won't be disappointed.

#7 Swammy Cakes

Swammy Cakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationPontiac, Mi
  • Surgeon:Dr. Edelman
  • Hospital:Harper University
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):30.1
  • Surgery Date:11/16/2009

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'm a member also. I love it so far. There's no classes or anything but you don't feel uncomfortable when your there like at some gyms. It's not intimidating at all.
Lap RNY November 16, 2009

#8 PhillyDude

PhillyDude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE
  • Surgeon:Dr. Michael B. Peters Jr.
  • Hospital:Christiana Care Main Campus
  • Height (ft-in):5-11
  • Start Weight:489
  • Current Weight:320
  • Goal Weight:275
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40.1
  • Surgery Date:02/21/2011

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

My wife and I just signed up - in what we pay in a year there, we were paying in 7 mos. at the local YMCA - yeah, they don't have a pool or classes, but I really didn't utilize them in the 3 years I was a member there anyway.

They tell you right off the bat it is a "no judgement zone" meaning that they don't want people in there just lifting weights and flexing because that frankly is a bit intimidating to new members and causes them to not come back. They try to cater to the new gym person and offer free training sessions...which is a very nice perk.

They have treadmills, ellipticals, small amount of barbells, dumbbells, specific muscle group machines, universal machines and a circuit workout routine that they compare to Curves (30 minute - best workout you can get in that short of a time they claim).

No slamming of weights is allowed.

I opted for the "black" plan which is $19.99/mo, the sign-up fee was pro-rated and I paid $11.99 and then in June, I owe them another $40 to lock in the rate for the next year. If I cancel, it is $58. The "black" plan does come with unlimited tanning, unlimited message chairs (think what you see in a mall or on a cruise ship (Carnival)) and 1/2 priced cooler drinks (water, Gatorade) along with 10 visits to other clubs per month and unlimited guest privileges.

Seemed good to me compared to Bally's or something else that tried to get you in for 2-3 yrs and costs an arm and a leg to begin with.

#9 bobbiecakes74

bobbiecakes74

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI
  • Surgeon:Panduranga Reddy Yenumula, MD
  • Hospital:Sparrow
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:334
  • Current Weight:163
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:03/14/2011

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

i'm going to sign up after work! :D B)

#10 Candi133

Candi133

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Hospital:Mobile Infirmary

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

I've had a membership there before. They're very conscious of making people comfortable working out. It's not the place for burly dudes grunting and lifting mega amounts of weights. They actually have a buzzer that they sound if you're grunting or you drop weights. I personally didn't enjoy the place. However, it was cheap. They don't have any aerobics classes or anything. Just a few dozen machines and some tanning beds. It's all according to what you want out of a gym. For some folks -- it's a perfect match.

#11 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Has anybody heard of Planet Fitness???

Nope. Never.

( :P~~)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#12 Xeniak

Xeniak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationDenmark
  • Surgeon:Dr Omar
  • Hospital:Aalborg Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:390
  • Current Weight:170
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:11/02/2010

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:37 AM

There's one very close to my house. A lot of people go there and love it. It has a different atmosphere than most gyms, very female oriented and very reasonably priced. The only reason I don't go there is because I get a similar deal from the gym I already belonged to when that one opened (and I have a small philosophical issue with a gym that keeps tootsie rolls on the counter and has bagel and pizza days, but that's personal).

LOL - my gym did the same thing! during Christmas we had a lot of Christmas candy and cookies on the tables they have around the gym for people to take a break.. i was always wondering how could they put the temptation around after we worked so hard to burn the calories! I told one of my trainers and ever since they've only had dried fruits and nuts :P

See pictures @ goal- lost 107 kilos / 240 lbs/ after my pregnancy i gained 20lbs but I got my biggest goal, my biggest dream, my baby girl - see pictures here

#13 Jaepyrl

Jaepyrl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Stephen Carryl
  • Hospital:Brooklyn Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:287
  • Current Weight:289
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):43.6
  • Surgery Date:05/25/11
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:58 AM

They are all over up here in NY and they are REALLY REALLY GREAT!!!! I was a member before surgery and I cant wait until my four weeks of no strenuous activity is up so I can go back!!! DEFNITIELY GET THE $20 Black card membership! you get unlimited guest passes and unlimited free training! oh and please please please take advantage of the Red Light Therapy Treaments if they offer them at your location...It is a great cleansing theraputic massage perfect for after workouts!!!!
Starting Weight: 289lbs
Surgery Date: 5/25/2011
Goal Weight:155lbs
Current Status: officially on the band wagon!

Always aim for the moon, if you dont make it, at least youll land among the stars
!

Posted Image