• Hospital:Hospital of Central Connecticut
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:398
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:?
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

I've been having problems with constipation the last few weeks. But before I even start, please don't tell me, "OMG you could have a blockage you need to go to the doctor asap!", because I did go to my doc and he told me to take Miralax. I've heard great things about it online and on this website that it's a godsend and works so well. Well, it's not working for me at all. I've been taking it since Saturday and nothing. Initally after I take it I hear a little bit of gurgling in my stomach but nothing that indicticates I need to have a BM. You might come to the conclusion that I might be impacted or something but I know that I'm not because when I try to go to the bathroom, I am expelling little bits and pieces... just nothing substantial. So I know for a fact I'm not impacted, it's just the muscles in my intestines won't move so I can get out alot of poop. Besides going to the doc, any suggestions?
"I’m deeply comforted to know that no amount of absentminded woolgathering can reconstruct “the plan” into something that I must practice or rehearse for, even if I wanted to.

It will be unplanned, unpremeditated, extempore, unconstrained, unforced, and the thought becomes more beautiful the more I think about it - or perhaps the more I try not to."

- Owl City

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#2 gnaed

gnaed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Surgeon:Terence Clarke
  • Hospital:Ellis
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:135
  • Goal Weight:129
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.7
  • Surgery Date:02/14/2011

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

I've been having problems with constipation the last few weeks. But before I even start, please don't tell me, "OMG you could have a blockage you need to go to the doctor asap!", because I did go to my doc and he told me to take Miralax. I've heard great things about it online and on this website that it's a godsend and works so well. Well, it's not working for me at all. I've been taking it since Saturday and nothing. Initally after I take it I hear a little bit of gurgling in my stomach but nothing that indicticates I need to have a BM. You might come to the conclusion that I might be impacted or something but I know that I'm not because when I try to go to the bathroom, I am expelling little bits and pieces... just nothing substantial. So I know for a fact I'm not impacted, it's just the muscles in my intestines won't move so I can get out alot of poop. Besides going to the doc, any suggestions?

When I got really (and I mean really really) desperate, I used an enema. It worked, but yuck.
~Karen~

5402199.png

Weight:
247/210/135/129 = highest (11/25/10)/surgery (2/14/11)/Today/goal

Goals:
Under 200 / Halfway mark / 189 / 179 / 169 / 159 / 149 / 147 (100lbs.) / 141 (Normal) / 139 / 135
[size=6
Size [s]24 22 20 18 16 14[/s] 12 10
8[/size] [size=4]6

#3 islandmama

islandmama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

I had surgery on the same date (1/31) and am having the same issue. Miralax has not worked for me either. I have had to use laxatives for the past few weeks. This week, I took a different tact and I started on probiotics today and I am trying sooooo hard to make sure that I get all my water in for the day. Still no luck. Any suggestions??

#4 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 25,598 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

Besides calling your doc - continue with the Miralax and up your fluids beyond all belief. Miralax works to increase the amount of water in the intestinal tract to stimulate bowel movements - if you're not getting enough fluids inside you, it can't do it's job effectively.

Question! Are those little bits and pieces firm or soft? If they're firm, a glycerine suppository can help lubricate the area.

But if you see no improvement in the next day or so then you have no option but to call the doc.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#5 vballmom32

vballmom32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Clarke
  • Hospital:Ellis Hospital, Schnectady NY
  • Start Weight:297
  • Current Weight:245
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:02/17/2011

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

I am in the same boat as you.

I take a colace daily
miralax daily

every 3rd day if no BM I take Milk of Magnesia

and sometimes I use a suppository which works right away...where M.O.M. takes a couple of hours

I see the Doc on Friday and will see what they tell me and give you all an update.

Joyce
*Joyce*Surgery date 2-17-11
start weight 297
current weight 245
Goal weight 140

#6 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

And another note: just because you can expel some poo does not mean you're not impacted. My son once had diarrhea that passed by his impacted stool. He was so impacted they nearly opened him up in an emergency surgery so.. pooing isn't a sign you're not impacted.

And also- you can safely take two to three doses a day of miralax, according to my GI doc.. check with yours to see if they okay that for you.

Miralax, mixed with a gallon of water is the same exact medication as is used for a bowel prep before surgery & colonoscopies called "Go Lightly"...(in a higher dose than for the OTC)

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#7 Pookie89

Pookie89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationPhoenix
  • Surgeon:Fang
  • Hospital:St. Lukes
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:282
  • Current Weight:198
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:12/14/2010

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

I didn't know go lightly and miralax were the same thing. I guarantee, if that's the case, when you up your dose of miralax you WILL go. I don't know the dose difference but go lightly has explosive results...someone on here posted the salt water concentration that induces bowel movements pretty rapidly. You could either search it or google it to get the ratio of water to sea salt...I have this problem too from time to time.

#8 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

I didn't know go lightly and miralax were the same thing. I guarantee, if that's the case, when you up your dose of miralax you WILL go. I don't know the dose difference but go lightly has explosive results...someone on here posted the salt water concentration that induces bowel movements pretty rapidly. You could either search it or google it to get the ratio of water to sea salt...I have this problem too from time to time.

I didn't know either, till I was hospitalized last Aug/Sept and they made me drink a gallon of that stuff for a colonoscopy....and they didn't decide that until a few hours after they'd made me drink barium for four hours straight during the small bowel follow through.... ugh.. they totally should've done the colonoscopy FIRST.... I was up drinking that stuff all night and the barium just stopped me up so it took a lot longer to work.. but work it did! I really did think it impossible to drink a gallon of that stuff but... .. ugh.. bad, bad memories.

I also had to drink a gallon of it the day before I swallowed the camera last year for my camera endoscope... at least now I know- start it hours earlier than is typical due to how slow we are vs a 'normal' person.

But yep... it is, and if a few days of one dose miralax isn't working, add another for a day or so.. and still nothing, a third is how my doc wants me deal. He does not like the other laxatives as they're harsher and can cause other problems. I've not had to go to three dose so far, thank goodness.

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#9 jessikagurl101

jessikagurl101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • Hospital:Hospital of Central Connecticut
  • Start Weight:398
  • Current Weight:199
  • Goal Weight:?
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

And another note: just because you can expel some poo does not mean you're not impacted. My son once had diarrhea that passed by his impacted stool. He was so impacted they nearly opened him up in an emergency surgery so.. pooing isn't a sign you're not impacted.

And also- you can safely take two to three doses a day of miralax, according to my GI doc.. check with yours to see if they okay that for you.

Miralax, mixed with a gallon of water is the same exact medication as is used for a bowel prep before surgery & colonoscopies called "Go Lightly"...(in a higher dose than for the OTC)

Do you know how much MOM I can take? It has worked for me in the past, but I took ALOT of it. This was before surgery though, I took one dose (4 tbs) then waited a day, nothing then took another dose. So I had taken roughly half the bottle in 2 days but by the 3rd day I was going alot. Could I do this again? I'm scared cause I know my body works differently now.
"I’m deeply comforted to know that no amount of absentminded woolgathering can reconstruct “the plan” into something that I must practice or rehearse for, even if I wanted to.

It will be unplanned, unpremeditated, extempore, unconstrained, unforced, and the thought becomes more beautiful the more I think about it - or perhaps the more I try not to."

- Owl City

Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

#10 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

Do you know how much MOM I can take? It has worked for me in the past, but I took ALOT of it. This was before surgery though, I took one dose (4 tbs) then waited a day, nothing then took another dose. So I had taken roughly half the bottle in 2 days but by the 3rd day I was going alot. Could I do this again? I'm scared cause I know my body works differently now.

Can't help you there... My doc was very emphatic that I wasn't to take MOM and I never have.. He doesn't even want me taking stool softeners... For him, there is nothing safer and more effective than Miralax.. though you might need more than one dose a day.

#11 bambinari

bambinari

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Surgeon:Dr. N
  • Hospital:Overlake
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:162
  • Goal Weight:151
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):43
  • Surgery Date:12/14/2010

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

I swear by miralax. Take a gallon of that and it will help.
Scale Stomper #2

Dec 1, 2010 -- 260
Dec 14, 2010 - DOS -- 245

Made goal of 150 on February 15th, 2012

New goal: lose the 12 pounds I gained after I stopped journaling and weighing. Hmmm. Is there a connection?