CZJ

1st fill - no restriction!!

Hi Guys

Had my first fill today - 2ml in a 10ml band. It was empty to start. 8 hours later Im starving, feel no restriction at all!!

Any suggestions?

Cath xx

Hi Guys

Had my first fill today - 2ml in a 10ml band. It was empty to start. 8 hours later Im starving, feel no restriction at all!!

Any suggestions?

Cath xx

Yep...be patient....the band does very little with hunger until you are at the "sweet spot"...however it is a slow process to get there. You should feel a little restriction when you are eating denser foods but if you drink when eating it will slide right through with little to stop it.

I've read it can take until 4th fill... Ugh I get 2nd tomorrow... First was 1cc (10cc band)... Can't wait to get to sweet spot it's soooo hard!! Hang tight my friend we will get there.

Wow, guys! They must've thought I looked hungry, because I got 5.8 at my first fill! :rolleyes: Of course, I had to go back two weeks later and get .8 back out! It's amazing how different the docs are! I wonder what makes them decide how much fill to put in? I do have to say, I definitely have some restriction. I don't know if I am at my sweet spot yet or not, but I rarely feel like I want seconds anymore. That's like a whole new world for me! Good luck!

Are there different size bands? I noticed that a few of you have stated that you have a 10cc band. Also, do they always wait for a few weeks before doing the first fill?

Are there different size bands? I noticed that a few of you have stated that you have a 10cc band. Also, do they always wait for a few weeks before doing the first fill?

I'm pretty sure they wait 4-6 weeks to give your tummy time to heal! It seems like every surgeon i've heard about waits at least 4! :)

yes they have several size bands for realize and lapband. I have the lapband starndard ap which is 10cc. I guess my doc goes slow.... Makes it that much harder I tell ya! Tomorrow fill 2 and I think it will be another 1cc bringing me to 2cc... Feel so far off.

so is 10cc same as 10ml in the uk, i am guessing it is. I am to have my 1st fill in 2 weeks and i can;t wait, as i know by eating mashed foods i have no restriction, and have not lost anything for 2 weeks.

So who decides what fill goes in? can we not ask for a bigger fill at 1st because i know 1 will not be enough and by reading other posts people only feel the sweet spot after approx 4. Or correct me if i am wrong has any1 had restriction on small fills.

Just curious as i would like to jump straight in a a minimum of 3.

any advice would be helpfull.

shirley

so is 10cc same as 10ml in the uk, i am guessing it is. I am to have my 1st fill in 2 weeks and i can;t wait, as i know by eating mashed foods i have no restriction, and have not lost anything for 2 weeks.

So who decides what fill goes in? can we not ask for a bigger fill at 1st because i know 1 will not be enough and by reading other posts people only feel the sweet spot after approx 4. Or correct me if i am wrong has any1 had restriction on small fills.

Just curious as i would like to jump straight in a a minimum of 3.

any advice would be helpfull.

shirley

At my surgeons office they gave me no option, if they had, I wouldn't have gotten 5.8 cc's! She didn't really even tell me until it was done, and like I said, I had to go back 2 weeks later and get .8 out. I'm not sure how they decide, but at my unfill the pa told me that is their standard starter fill. I would've never gotten so much put in, because I live almost three hours from my surgeon. I would've rather started a little slower! I go back next week and am actually thinking of getting a little bit more taken out. So I do think I understand why most surgeons go slowly, but I also understand all of your frustration at it! It seems like there needs to be a little bit better balance between 1cc and 5.8 cc! Maybe 3 cc or something? :)

I believe every surgeon is different. Some people lose without fills while others require many fills. So it's up to surgeon as well as patients body. Had 2nd fill today 1cc added. I feels a lil different but haven't eaten much as of yet. Not sure if anythings gonna get stuck and hope it doesn't. Only time I felt stuck was when I mindlessly picked up a drink with a meal it was awful.

I just had my 4th fill last week & I'm finally feeling restriction. I have a 10cc lap band and my surgeon put 1.6 cc in it during surgery. I have no idea how they know how much to put in, but I'm on my 4th fill and I think I have over 8cc in it now. Thank Goodness I'm finally feeling restriction because I was about to give up. My best advice to you is to KEEP GOING BACK to your doctor frequently. He/she may only put in a little at a time and it may take a few fills before you get "there". I lost my insurance 2 months after surgery and didn't feel I could afford $175 for each fill. Had I paid attention and thought about it, I could have easily saved that much $$ in restaurants & groceries! It's very worth it to go in often and get properly adjusted so the band can work. I wish I hadn't waited so long!!!

I have had my first fill and still have no restriction. I go again at the end of the month for another fill. I have a 14 cc band and he put 4cc in it at my first fill.

Had 3ml in my first fill - going tomorrow for another fill - hoping it does something because like you feel no different at all and no food is a problem.

I have the same problem. My first fill was 2 cc. Nothing different. My next fill is in August.

I have had my lapband for almost one year now. I totally lost faith for a while. No restrictions.

I had 4 fills up to now.... the fills had no effect, I could eat steak and chips and was constantly hungry....

so.... last month I went back and .... far out.... I was 6kg heavier than what I started off with... do I have to say more...

The surgeon was hard on me and added a fill, he also did not tell me how much but boy o boy, my own saliva battles to pass through the band now.

I really battle to get my daily water in. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night choking on water pushing up through the band... scary. I lost 10kg's since the last fill.

I am not constantly hungry any more, but, pshycologically I am starving, my head plays with me.... tells me to eat ice cream as I am starving... and after 2 spoons... it comes out violently.... but, I am trying.... trying to get my body to rule my evil hungry mind....

I am on 2 Optifast shakes a day, try to get 500ml's of water or tea in during the day.

For dinner I have a clear broth soup, as no mushy food will pass through the band. And, then after 8 at night I dare not have anything to eat or drink out of fear of choking at night... I had a few close shaves.... no fun.

Since it is still winter in our area, its not easy to do any exercise or go for a walk. Spring will be here soon and hopefully I will be able to add a few more exercises into the mix.

Currently I have a vibrating plate exercise machine but it gets painful around the stomach if I stand on it for 10 mins...

For those Lapbanders out there, its a tough road... hang in there.

how is everyone getting on with there bands

Hi I'm new to this site and new to my band and both physically and emotionally starving. I had my op on july 3rd.. Thought it was amazing couldn't eat at all (that was swelling) now even though I've had a fill 4.5 mls and I had 1.5 in from surgery (my band is 14 ml) I'm starving.. I'm eating healthier options food and exercising more but weight loss is minimal.... Feeling really deflated,, cost alot of money and no ones expectations are being met..

Hang in there Zingy! According to your stats you've lost more than 50 pounds in about 9 weeks!  That's amazing!!!

Hunger:

How often are you going in for check-ups/fills?

My husband and i had surgery 7/8/13, so we aren't far apart

My dr has me coming every 2 weeks for now, just to adjust as my body does. My husband also has a 14cc band, and is currently sitting at 7ccs. I would call and make an appointment if you dont feel that things are going well.

One thing i learned is that they dont expect you to go straight to eating only 3 small meals a day. It is a process in itself to get the band to its optimum capacity for you. Its okay to snack on proteins to help you not feel so hungry. String cheese, almonds, and jerky is highly recommended. 

Dont be discouraged... you're off to a great start!

Don't panic just yet,,, I was feeling exactly the same after my first fill. My wl was totally down to diet and determination.. Booked my second fill last wed..omg what a difference.. Went from 6 cc to 8 cc. No hunger at all. Drinking is harder..no more gulping only sips... I was losing heart now I'm really happy.. Xoxo