#1 guitarjeff

guitarjeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Surgeon:Justin D. Braverman
  • Hospital:Chapman

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

Hello my name is Jeff, I am 48 years old, I was wondering if other people are experiencing the same issue I have when it comes to the embarrasing odor from my farts. It is really noticeable lately, it has been 2 years after bypass surgery. I did not have this bad of a problem before. This really is the only side effect I have had after surgery that seems to be a noticeable problem for myself, my new girlfriend and co-workers. I lost about 100 lbs. I feel great and maintaining my wieght, so I feel I am eating healthy. I have done some research on this and I guess there is Gas X or Beano I could take, I have also heard of the charcoal liners that are put in and taped to your underwear, but sounds like this could become expensive and I wear boxers, it says have to wear what I call nut huggers or briefs. My new girlfriend is seems to be having a hard time with this as I have to leave the room everytime I pass gas and of course this is embarrasing for me as well. looking for any help or suggestions,

Thanks, Jeff: confused:

#2 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

It's common, and some days seems to be worse than others. You could try logging your food to see what might be triggering the small but you'd need to be patient as it would take some time.

There is an internal deodorant you could take.. they're charcoal based.. this is the brand I've heard of:

Internal Deodorant | Devrom | Effectively Neutralizes Odor from Stool and Flatulence

I do know that one poster here took them and ended up with some health issues related to that.. (Her nick was helena.. and I think it was liver issues) if you wanted to do some reading there.

Currently, I've just been dealing with the issue, but I did add some probiotics that have helped this issue for me.. Psmier was the one that recommended this particular brand they're helping.. Solaray Probiotics. These have several types of bacteria and have to be kept in the fridge. And I've added digestive enzymes for every meal. These have helped a lot but then there are days like yesterday where even I couldn't stand myself and I wonder.. what the heck?? lol.

For me, I would start with trying to figure out what I was eating/drinking to cause the biggest problems first.. and then I'd try the probiotics and digestive enzymes before I would take the charcoal, but that's me..

Good luck!

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#3 Wusang

Wusang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Surgeon:O'Malley
  • Hospital:Rochester University Highland Hospital Center for Bariatrics
  • Height (ft-in):6-00
  • Start Weight:322
  • Current Weight:190
  • Goal Weight:173
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23.5
  • Surgery Date:07/07/2009

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:05 AM

Perhaps there is something in your diet you have changed that is triggering this problem. I haven't had the farting problem since early post op but every now and then when I do fart it has no odor. Once in a blue moon I can clear a room in seconds but I can quickly realize it for something I ate in the last 24 hours different. Food for thought lol, no pun intended!

Also I cannot say enough about probiotics. They really helped me in the early months of post op. I was on a stall and when I took them BANG! Everything started moving again and I had some wicked bowel movements etc.... and everything got really plumbed! I now take probiotics regularly.

#4 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,712 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

Pre-op, I really had a problem being in the same room as myself at times! :o

I don't know whether it's it's got anything to do with the fact that I haven't been able to eat eggs or meat since my WLS or not but I rarely have any smell to my gas - unless I've overloaded on regular cheese but even then, it isn't bad enough to blame the dog for.

I eat loads of beans and that promotes enough gas to fill a helium balloon but it barely has a smell to it.

Like Kel, I take probiotics religiously too (2-3 times a day).

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#5 Losing Me

Losing Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Sometimes it can be too much fiber in our diets that causes it. I just recently had a bout with it but I realize it came from the prunes I was eating. *sigh* I love prunes but they don't like me.
Bariatric Handbook

324/192.4/190/180
Highest/Current/1st Goal/2nd Goal

Body Fat % Goal:15% - 20%
Handle Held Monitior - Body Fat% 31.6
Stand On Scale - Body Fat% 37.4

January 2011 248lbs: 51.6 lbs lost!!

#6 Psimer

Psimer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Carl Lowe
  • Hospital:Presbyterian
  • Start Weight:340
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Surgery Date:06/18/2010

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Ok, I have been fighting this problem. I take 20 billion bacteria Probiotics, with 12 strains of bacteria every day. I also take 2 digestive enzymes. I can honestly say that it has made a major difference in the amount of gas I am passing.

Try it. I am sure it will help you out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 AnnetteNJ

AnnetteNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Surgeon:Dr. Alexander Abkin
  • Hospital:Morristown Memorial Hospital
  • Start Weight:233
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

Pre-op, I really had a problem being in the same room as myself at times! :o

I don't know whether it's it's got anything to do with the fact that I haven't been able to eat eggs or meat since my WLS or not but I rarely have any smell to my gas - unless I've overloaded on regular cheese but even then, it isn't bad enough to blame the dog for.

I eat loads of beans and that promotes enough gas to fill a helium balloon but it barely has a smell to it.

Like Kel, I take probiotics religiously too (2-3 times a day).

OMG Corrine, I nearly peed my pants!! You are too funny!!

I'm a month out and I'm similar to Corrine. I practically levitate off the chair. My stomach(s) make most of the noise and I just make a joke about it. If it's a noisey stomach day, guaranteed to have a noisey toot toot night.

SCALE STOMPER #24

BMI Goal: NORMAL - 148 - 12/01/2011
Off Blood Pressure meds 12/02/2011

Ultimate Goal: To be 125 or ONE pound less than my skinny sister!! (Or at least the same BMI)

Posted Image

#8 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

I feel like I've jinxed myself.

I'm *so* farty today.. I can't even stand being around MYSELF. Hubby has the day off today (it is a Holidy- Town Meeting Day! :D:D) but has spent the majority of it up in the office. I think he just can't stand being around me right now.

We went to vote, and came straight home and he marched directly back up the stairs again.

I could not even bring myself to go to the gym tonight as I can't stop farting and they smell SO bad.. ugh.

(and since adding Psmier's Probiotics and digestive aids, this is the first time I've had it this bad..) Totally jinxed! lol.

The only thing I can think of that is different is that I'm using the Lifeway brand of kefir instead of the Trader Joe's brand... there is nothing new or changed about my diet otherwise! :/

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#9 fflattliner

fflattliner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Bacal
  • Hospital:Oakwood Hospital & Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:314
  • Current Weight:162
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Surgery Date:08/04/2009

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

OMG this is just too funny reading everyones post! LOL

We are quite the group of gassy, smelly farters...thats for sure!

I have never experienced gas this bad till I had WLS. I can drink a glass of water and have gas from it!

I asked my surgeons office, they said "get used to it"....so I guess thats that.

#10 kapair937

kapair937

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Surgeon:Dr Bilof
  • Hospital:Monmouth Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:264
  • Current Weight:142
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/21/2012

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

I was laughing so hard at all these responses.  I goggled it and this is what popped up.  I really didn't think I would find anything, knowing me, I thought I would be the only one that has this problem.  Good to know that I am not alone. I have had this for a few months now.  I have tried altering my foods and everything.  I am going to try the Probiotics and enzymes now and hopefully that will work.  My husband and my kids run from me and I try to blame it on the dogs, but they still all call me out on it.  Keep me up to date with any new information on this.  It is so embarrassing, I wish it would stop. :wub:  :P

1923895.png
            Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

#11 hollysmom55

hollysmom55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGlastonbury, CT
  • Surgeon:Jonathan Aranow
  • Hospital:Middlesex
  • Start Weight:295
  • Current Weight:200
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.3
  • Surgery Date:08/29/2012

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Oh yes!!!!  I have had this terribly ever since I had surgery.  I can so relate!!!

Believe You Can!! :D

Until you spread your wings, you have no idea how far you can fly! :P  

Next Mini Goal:  100 pound loss - Met 6/29/13

5/14 - BACK TO 200 LBS.  UGH!!!! - Next Goal:  Getting it back off.  :eek: 

weight.png

#12 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,712 posts
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:37 AM

Here we are - 3 years later and I've continued to use probiotics.

I've been around the block with those things but once I found PB8, I stuck with them.  I use vitacost.com a lot and PB8 is $11.99/120 caps.

I still get gassy and bloated but the smell is rarely an issue.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#13 Kazkaren

Kazkaren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia
  • Surgeon:Dr Hopkins - Revision
  • Hospital:Holy Spirit Northside Brisbane
  • Height (ft-in):4-11
  • Start Weight:269.7
  • Current Weight:152.7
  • Goal Weight:154
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32.1
  • Surgery Date:12/07/2011

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

I love a good "smelly farts" thread.... somedays it's just as well I live alone.... have to be careful at work though... the windows in our new office don't open.....

weight.png

weight.png

Kaz!