• Hospital:Fresno Heart Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:358
  • Current Weight:358
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):60.9
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

:confused:Can Nyquil and dayquil mess up a blood test. Im sick and I was supposed to go get my blood drawn on tuesday morning but I have been too sick. Now that Im feeling better, but still on dsyquil, will it mess up my blood tests? Better yet will being sick period mes them up?
1.5.2011-Psych val.

9.17.2011-met with new surgeon, restarted journey.....

358/?/358/160
starting/day of surgery/current/goal

pounds til goal:198

SCALE STOMPER #86 BABY!

#2 pharmscott

pharmscott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Surgeon:Robert Chastanet
  • Hospital:Chesapeake Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:308
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:03 AM

Nyquil has alcohol in it....quite a bit actually. But it would be gone from your system before you had any bloodwork done. Just need to remember that after your surgery because it will not be an option for you then.
I need a new Signature lin.....wait....this counts!

Scale Stomper #15

#3 Xan

Xan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Sandor
  • Hospital:Winchester Hospital
  • Start Weight:291
  • Current Weight:130
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:05/17/2010

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

why would dayquil/nyquil not be an option after surgery? I had a cold a couple months ago and was downing that stuff every 4 hours or so. Its made with acetaminophen aka tylenol. My surgeon said it was fine. The only thing I can think of is that some people may dump on the liquid (I didnt).

also, they now make an alcohol free version. I didnt take that one though, because the alcohol is pretty much what helps knocks you out, and is the whole point of taking a nighttime medicine.

obviously I wouldnt reccommend taking it directly after surgery, but once you are a few months out and getting back to normal... it shouldnt be a problem...

but as always... consult your surgeon first :)
Xan
height: 5'9"
Highest/day of surgery/current/goal
291/259/130 :( /150
1/3/2011- GOAL REACHED!!!!
BMI 19.2 I have resigned myself to this. Lets hope I dont lose more!!

#4 pharmscott

pharmscott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Surgeon:Robert Chastanet
  • Hospital:Chesapeake Regional Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:308
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:01/31/2011

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

why would dayquil/nyquil not be an option after surgery? I had a cold a couple months ago and was downing that stuff every 4 hours or so. Its made with acetaminophen aka tylenol. My surgeon said it was fine. The only thing I can think of is that some people may dump on the liquid (I didnt).

also, they now make an alcohol free version. I didnt take that one though, because the alcohol is pretty much what helps knocks you out, and is the whole point of taking a nighttime medicine.

obviously I wouldnt reccommend taking it directly after surgery, but once you are a few months out and getting back to normal... it shouldnt be a problem...

but as always... consult your surgeon first :)

You are correct...there are a number different formulations of Nyquil, gel-caps, dissolveable strips, alcohol free, and traditional nyquil. The only difference between Nyquil and just about every other OTC cough/cold med is in the one with 10% alcohol. The alcohol is the only reason I can come up with as to why anyone would drink that god-awful stuff anyway. So if we are talking about the traditional Nyquil then yes it should be avoided immediately post-op as alcohol is a gastric irritant and can cause healing issues of the pouch. It can be tolerated once the pouch has healed but know that it has been shown in gb patients alcohol levels go higher and last significantly longer than people who have not had the surgery. And the effects may not be noticed by the gb patient...blood alcohol levels while driving even though you may not feel "drunk" still = DUI.

agreed...consult your surgeon first....
I need a new Signature lin.....wait....this counts!

Scale Stomper #15