• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Brenda in CA

Drinking with a straw

12 posts in this topic

My dr. told me that I couldn't use a straw after my surgery. I can understand why not to use a straw in the beginning, but now I'm 4 mos. out. Is there still a reason why I shouldn't use a straw to drink from time to time?

I use a straw - I found out early out that I took in less air and was able to drink more too.

I know that some surgeons discourage it but my doc is OK with it as long as it wasn't sticking out of a big cup of soda.

Same here -- I am less likely to gulp with a straw, but then again I have always enjoyed drinking with a straw anyhow. My mom had the surgery 5 years ago and she told me not to let the liquid get to the bottom and suck air through it, which I think is decent advice.

I have always used a straw since about 2 weeks out. It is easier to drink with one and does not allow as much air in so I don't get all the doctors not wanting us to use one. I think this is the only rule I do not follow but It just works better with one than with out so I say try it and if use do not have any issues using one then you ae fine I will not hurt you in any way.

My dr. told me that I couldn't use a straw after my surgery. I can understand why not to use a straw in the beginning, but now I'm 4 mos. out. Is there still a reason why I shouldn't use a straw to drink from time to time?

I use a straw... as long as your pouch agrees with it, then I think you will be just fine. My pouch does not mind a straw :-)

I too was told not to use straws or drink out of bottles after surgery, and I didn't for the first couple of months. But now I do, I have always been a straw user and since I can't stand the chlorine taste in tap water, I only drink my water from bottles. I have no issues, my surgeon says it's fine as well.

I drink with a straw when we go out to eat. I don't like drinking out of glasses in public. I know it sounds stupid but I started doing that after I turned up a glass to drink out of and it had lipstick on the rim. The lipstick wasn't from me...ughh

My doc is good with it now, but I am almost 1 1/2 years out.

I drink from a straw as well. I tried and tried to drink without one but I just took in too much air. I used a straw before surgery so I just assume that what ever you are used to works best.

My surgeon said it was fine to use a straw. He actually said" no your stomach will not blow up if you use a straw". He is a funny guy. I have used one without any problems since a week after surgery.

I remember something about no straws but call me stupid but I got to ask, why can't we use a straw? What is the reasoning behind it?

I remember something about no straws but call me stupid but I got to ask, why can't we use a straw? What is the reasoning behind it?

Supposedly drinking from a straw will make you take in too much air? I don't really follow the logic in that.. but that is what I was told.

I drink thru a straw too and my surgeon is fine with it...Its so weird how all surgeons are so different..