• Hospital:Evan's Army Community Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:232
  • Current Weight:203
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:06/06/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

When I walk, stand too long, or am on my feet for a few minutes, my thigh goes numb on my right side. Sciatic nerve pain was from my pregnancy, but I didn't think any permanent damage was done. Anyone else experience this pre-op and had it magically leave post-op?

~*~*~Tusde~*~*~

Posted Image

300 / 232 / 203 / 150
High/DOS/NOW/Goal!

I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed. And the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I fail and keep trying!

#2 smalltowngirl

smalltowngirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Quinlan
  • Hospital:St Margarets
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):47.3
  • Surgery Date:09/27/2010

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Pre op I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, which is sometimes confused with sciatica. I did have pain management shots, and they did help.

Immediately post surgery the pain was horrendous! Probably from laying on my back in hospital and when I slept. It's got better, but is still there. I need to go back for more pain management.

My advice is, if you can get some pain management shots pre surgery, do it!

Hope this helps :)
Surgery Date: 27th September 2010
5 weeks later: 34lbs down & no more BP meds!
8 weeks later: 40lbs down and stalled!
3 months out: 50lbs down
4 months out: 57lbs down
6 months out: 75lbs down - Onederland :)
Start - 267/Current - 192/Goal - 130

It's hard to feel as fit as a fiddle when you're built like a Cello

#3 Gunslinger

Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Surgeon:Christopher A. Edwards
  • Hospital:St. Johns, Springfield, MO
  • Height (ft-in):6-01
  • Start Weight:419
  • Current Weight:188
  • Goal Weight:220
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.8
  • Surgery Date:12/15/2010

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

I woke up from surgery with numb thighs. Then when I'd roll over, they'd burst into flames. No kidding, they felt like they were bursting into flames. Excruciatingly painful. I rolled very slowly for a week or 2, and then the flames went away. My right thigh is still numb, but getting better. None of the docs have any idea except to say that I pinched a nerve sometime while in the hospital.
Wish I can help you, but I have no answers, just a similar, yet very different story.

#4 SerenaSlimmer

SerenaSlimmer

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lana Nelson
  • Hospital:Norman Regional Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:351
  • Current Weight:210
  • Surgery Date:05/03/2011

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

I have the same problem. I've always thought it was just because of my car wreck back in 1999 but now that I've heard more about this on here I'm wondering whether it has to do with being overweight. Maybe it will go away after losing a bunch of weight... at least I hope :P

~Scale Stomper #18~

~Serena

highest weight 351
current weight 215

(136 lbs. lost so far!)

#5 weekday82

weekday82

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Surgeon:Dr. Wilcox

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

I hope so too! By doing a workout regime, I am just hoping I am not agitating anything.

~*~*~Tusde~*~*~

Posted Image

300 / 232 / 203 / 150
High/DOS/NOW/Goal!

I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed. And the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I fail and keep trying!

#6 Pokey

Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.6
  • Surgery Date:08/20/2010
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

Not my thigh, but my left shin has been numb for months, now. It feels just like when your foot goes to sleep. I can feel pressure and a bit of sensation, but it's mostly just numb. Very weird.

#7 BYPASS PRINCESS

BYPASS PRINCESS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Hospital:St. Joseph's Ontario, Hamilton

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Have you been tested for a DVT ( a blood clot )? They are very common and are treated with blood thinners. Testing is as easy as a blood test and an ultrasound. If you do have one and since it is above the knee now you are at higher risk for it going to your lung, I am not trying to scare you, just want you to be informed.
A chubby chick's journey through thick and thin

http://gastricbypass...ss.blogspot.com

#8 fgsfsf

fgsfsf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

my sciatica started when I was pregnant with my twins 11years ago. It got better as I lost weight but then got huge again and I can't do much for long with losing feeling down to my feet. I'm hoping weight loss again will help. I hate it!

#9 RueLou

RueLou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Start Weight:215
  • Current Weight:176
  • Goal Weight:132
  • Surgery Date:01/12/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

I have a whole area on my right thigh just above the knee that is constantly numb. Even when you run your fingers over it, it feels different than the rest of the leg. I've been wondering weither to mention it to the doc or not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RueLou

"Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it" - Confucius

#10 Bex

Bex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Surgery Date:06/04/2011

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

Numbness, tingling or nerve pain in the outer part of the thigh can be caused by compression of the lateral cutaneous nerve of the thigh. It's more common in overweight people or pregnant women, and usually resolves spontaneously, particularly after losing weight (or having the baby, if pregnancy is the cause.)

That said, if you have any swelling or discoloration of the leg, or if the symptoms don't go away, definitely time to see the doctor.

Posted Image

#11 weekday82

weekday82

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationColorado
  • Surgeon:Dr. Wilcox

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

I don't remember having it when I was thin. I assumed it was a weight thing. Ugh. Come on scale, MOVE!

~*~*~Tusde~*~*~

Posted Image

300 / 232 / 203 / 150
High/DOS/NOW/Goal!

#12 Bruce

Bruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
  • Surgeon:Dr. Matthew Brengman
  • Hospital:St. Mary's Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:497
  • Current Weight:344
  • Surgery Date:06/30/2011
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

I'm pretty sure I have the same thing as the original poster... I've had it for years (I've been fat for years, too... go figure). Typically, my outer thigh is fine, but if I stand or walk for any considerable length of time, the outer portion of my thigh goes numb like its gone to sleep. No pain, no swelling, just typical of what you'd have if your hand or foot went to sleep with none of the waking up tingles.

I've read the same about it being a compressed nerve, and I've never sought treatment... it self corrects just about as soon as I sit down. Sure would be nice if it goes away once I get to my fighting weight, but it's never really caused me a problem.
***************************************************************************************************************************
Cliche to live by: "Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always gotten."

Posted Image

Initial Surgical Consultation: 4/27/2011 - 497
Day Before Surgery: 6/29/2011 - 457

Read my blog at http://www.brucehartman.net

#13 SDKristi

SDKristi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Surgeon:Callery
  • Hospital:Sharp Memorial
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Goal Weight:186
  • Surgery Date:06/02/2011

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

I had that too pre-op - I read that its common in pregnant women, obese, etc. Apparently the nerve s that traverse your belly get compressed...Somewhere I was lurking, people were talking about the exact weight they noticed it occuring. At -30+ lbs since surgery, I think its gone (although I don't get a lot of exercise since surgery due to my bone-crushing fatigue).

Kristi

#14 hoofguy

hoofguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Locationsouthern illinois
  • Surgeon:ahuja
  • Hospital:herrin hospital New life weight loss clinic
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:312
  • Current Weight:175
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28
  • Surgery Date:08/02/2011

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:07 AM

i have the numbness of the outer right thigh pretty much daily. and have had it at all different weights, my DR told me it was probably just a slight pinch of the nerve. I am able to pop my hip everyonce in a while and that seems to alleiviate the numbness. I was told to think about going and seeing a chiropractor ( probably spelled wrong ) my wife has the same problem and the bone cracker seems to help her by popping her hips and aligning her back.

Posted Image

#15 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,928 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Peripheral neuropathy isn't uncommon in the early stages post-op. In my case, it was exacerbated by a B12 and thiamine deficiency.

Personally, I'd recommend everyone start a B-50 complex = it's something the asmbs.org suggest as an option on page 8 of this document: http://www.asbs.org/...s/bgs_final.pdf

Peripheral or Polyneuropathy
Peripheral neuropathy or polyneuropathy is nerve damage that causes burning pain, numbness or tingling in hands, feet and other parts of the body. Vitamins E, B6, B12, and B1 (niacin) are essential to healthy nerve function and deficiencies can cause widespread damage to nerve tissue. The development of peripheral neuropathy after bariatric surgery can occur as the result of its absorption site in the jejunum being bypassed and inadequate nutritional supplements after surgery. About 16 percent of people who underwent bariatric surgery developed peripheral neuropathy, according to one study of more than 400 people conducted by the Mayo Clinic.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#16 ✿ Paula ✿

✿ Paula ✿

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
  • Surgeon:Dr. Schoen
  • Hospital:University of Colorado
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:123
  • Surgery Date:05/26/2011

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Peripheral neuropathy isn't uncommon in the early stages post-op. In my case, it was exacerbated by a B12 and thiamine deficiency.

Personally, I'd recommend everyone start a B-50 complex = it's something the asmbs.org suggest as an option on page 8 of this document: http://www.asbs.org/...s/bgs_final.pdf

Cinwa,
I have found the link and it takes me to ASMBS website. But I would love to access the pdf file. Are you able to narrow it down on the website? I haven't been able to locate it.
I do take B-Complex (not sure if it is B 50) and would like to read more about it.

Posted Image

My husband said to me, " You come with instructions now ! "

#17 BugdocMom

BugdocMom

TT Master

• Community Mentor
  • 6,294 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL
  • Surgeon:Dr. Coon
  • Hospital:Parkview, Riverside, CA
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:238
  • Current Weight:123
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.1
  • Surgery Date:5/31/2011

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

I honestly don't think this particular condition is peripheral neuropathy, although it is smart to get the blood levels checked and run it by your surgeon if you are experiencing this right thigh numbness post-op. And, I agree, we should all start a B50 complex anyway ;)

My sis and I both experienced Meralgia parasthetica when we were obese. Mine went away just fine as I lost weight. Since my hip replacement, though, it bothers me when I sit too long... which is a lot right now.