Xeniak

Need a recipe for a Birthday, like Cake, pie, or a special dinner

21 posts in this topic

Well since surgery i have avoided at all cost eating cakes, cookies, pies, etc. I have not made any either..

Now i'm just desperate for something special for my husbands birthday just in a few days. His mother's tradition was to make a pear pie he loved. It takes a lot of sugar butter and flower - so its out of the question because I just dont trust myself having something like that in my house!

He's been dieting with me and told me to avoid the birthday cake/pie all together this year but I am dying to do something special!

I have

- substitute sugar that can caramelize etc

-sugar free jello (different flavors)

- sugar free puddings (different flavors)

- low sugar canned fruit

I was thinking of making some kind of jello and fruit squares or maybe a sugar free pudding pie.. but i dont know how to even make a crust without flower and butter.. i heard something about an oatmeal crust somewhere.. anyone ever try anything like this?

Please any advice I will try! I want to make his birthday special!

Not sure about an oatmeal crust, but you can make a fairly low sugar/fat graham cracker crust. Get tge graham cracker crumbs instead of the regular crackers (they are a bit lower in sugar) and then use splenda. Pillsbury now makes sugar free chocolate and yellow cake mixes and sugar free canned frostings (not sure if they are available everywhere though). I've made the sugar free cake and instead of frosting poked holes in the cake after it comes out of the oven and then once cooled pour sugar free pudding over the top and the put in the fridge till cold (whatever flavor combo you like). I've also made an apple crisp using splenda and oatmeal, and made cheesecake using splenda and reduced fat creamcheese. I've found that I can make most things from scratch and use the different substitutes (I have a friend who is a diabetic so I've been doing this for a while). Good luck!

There is a great recipe for a Sugar Free banana Split Cake. I have made it for my husband several times because he is diabetic.

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

4 tablespoons butter, melted

3 medium bananas, sliced thin

1 box sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix

3 cups skim milk

1 (16 ounce) can juice packed crushed pineapple

1 (8 ounce) carton sugar free whipped topping

1 cup sliced strawberry

Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.

Pat into a 9x13 baking dish.

Spread sliced bananas over crust.

Mix pudding and milk according to package directions.

Spread over bananas.

Drain pineapple as dry as possible and spread over pudding.

Spread whipped topping over pineapple

Top with sliced strawberries.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Just before serving I drizzled chocolate over it. It is great.

Hope this helps!

Why don't you just go buy him a special cupcake, put a candle on it and call it a day?

I would do a Graham cracker crust fill with pudding and freeze. Then caramelize pears in your sugar substitute and top it.

Kind of like bananas Foster

Why don't you just go buy him a special cupcake, put a candle on it and call it a day?

I think this is a great idea. You won't have to worry about being tempted and he gets a 1-serving sweet treat.

Wow i really liked the pudding, banana and strawberry pie recipe. I think i will try this one.

I guess one problem i forgot to mention is that a lot of American branded stuff i cant get here in Denmark. I'm not even sure what i will do about the graham crackers lol but i guess i will bounce around supermarkets today see if i can find something similar to it.

His birthday is Feb 2.

The reason i dont get him a cup cake is because its tradition for the birthday person to bring the cake to work here. We talked about buying a cake he could bring. If i cant find a healthy and nice solution i will just end up doing this last minute. Since making something unhealthy for him its kind of out of the question, we agreed we would just buy something instead.

If you cannot find graham crackers you can also use a vanilla wafer or some type of cookie crumb bottom. maybe a chocolate cookie crushed to make a crust and then that would eliminate the chocolate on type. just some ideas. Hope everyone enjoys it. ;)

hah! after talking about it with my husband (about the pudding pie) he told me its great we'll have that but he will buy cake for his co-workers because he would be embarrassed to bring that in LOL

Ok the experimental pie pudding will happen and i found something in danish stores called Ymerdrys (a version without sugar and very high fiber) to try to make the crust with.

I will try to post pictures once i make it.

Thankyou ladies, i'm really excited even if i didnt get to make anything for him to take to work with him i will still do this for him lol

Edited by Xeniak

Oh, Interesting tradition. Here in America the office (or a generous co-worker) brings in a treat/cake/whatever for the birthday person (and officemates) to share. Your husband sounds like a pretty cool guy. :)

I made the pie that GlendaRN posted and even posted up the recipe varication i made of it with pictures :)

I made the pie that GlendaRN posted and even posted up the recipe varication i made of it with pictures :)

what a sweetie you are for your hubby :)

And I have to say- you're really good about posting up links and stuff.. I think that's great! :)

thankyou misty! Too bad i'm so bad about typos huh LOL I just saw my tpos in your quoting me haha

thankyou misty! Too bad i'm so bad about typos huh LOL I just saw my tpos in your quoting me haha

I would be in trouble without a spell check.

If it really bothers you (some people it does- others, not so much) there is a free program you can download for spell checking.. though I admit I HAD to turn off the little dinger as I made so many it got annoying as heck to hear.. lol..

TinySpell - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com it sits in the system tray on your computer (this is PC only but mac has one built in already, lol) CNET verifies that the program is safe to download.

It works for any program too. When I had a PC I loved having this. Anyway.. it's not a big deal but if it bothers you, that is an option. :)

I know his birthday has already passed, but in the event you need something else, everyone loves this dessert and it's pretty easy to make sugar-free. I like to make it in a pretty bundt pan. It's easy to make, but time consuming.

Rainbow Jello

thank you misty! I will have to try it so it can help me :) I think i get really messed up with the typos trying to type and watch tv at the same time.. or talk on the phone then i type the wrong words here and there hehe :)

Pokey - sounds so good! I was actually thinking of making strawberry jello with real strawberries in it with my leftover strawberries. It has been such a long time for me since I've had jello because i had some *right* after surgery and HATED it. Dont know why :( but i want to try it again maybe it was something to do with me being sick of everything i was eating at the time hehe. by the way - your link did not work for me

Edited by Xeniak

Sorry about the link. I just checked it and even though it doesn't appear in the post, the language filter didn't like part of the blog name. I don't know about your browser, but mine asked me if I meant adventures of a food **** (but they used to real word) and I just clicked yes. For those that does not work for the link is: http://adventuresofafood****.blogspot.com/2008/04/rainbow-jello.html replace the stars with the 4 letters- Ess Ell You Tee. :)

ROFL!!!!! took me a while to get what you were saying!!! OK i'm heading there now! thankyou for the link :D I'm laughing so much right now LOL

wow!! that looks so amazing

IMG_1283.jpg

Yah, everyone oohs and ahhs when they see it. I'm thinking about making one for Mardi Gras in grape, pineapple, and lime. They are super easy to make, it's just takes a little time. :)

I almost forgot about the rainbow cake! My kids thought this was awesome!!!!! It was pretty cool if I do say so myself. :)

Rainbow Cake

ETA: I haven't actually checked out the nutritional info myself. We made it pre-op, but it looks like it could be made bariatric friendly. :)

Edited by Pokey