cheekytonya

How much is too much weight to lose?

Hi had Gastric Bypass 2008 started at 257 now weigh 137.. Alot who have had this surgery tell me the have gained and stablelized already. For me I keep loosing. Im 5ft5 137 is this normal? In july 2010 I was 156. A little concern. WHne the surgery was done my Surgeon told me I should bottom at 165 when all is said and done. SO what's up with me?

We see this question fairly often. An ideal body weight depends on the size of your frame and to a certain extent on your fat distribution. Here is a good link that you may find helpful. Met life ideal height weight tables references Read the whole page because it goes way beyond the somewhat antiquated Met Life tables.

One guide that I use to judge if my patients have reached a good goal weight is to look at their neck and clavicle area of the upper chest. If they have good definition of their neck muscles and clavicles but do not look "boney", then I think they've reached a goal weight, even if they still have big hips or thighs.

If fat distribution is fairly even, then you'll have fewer fatty areas after weight loss. If your lower abdomen or hips/thighs are particularly large before surgery, these areas will still be big, and you may need plastic surgery to even them out.

Another definition of "ideal weight" is a weight where you feel healthy. Sometimes people feel their best when they are on the high side of normal and feel washed out at a so called ideal weight. Again fat distribution is not uniform for most people, and trying to slim down everywhere may leave you depleted.

Lastly, your body image will lag behind your weight by several months. You will feel like you are still large long after the weight is reduced. So trust in your scale and in the comments that you hear from others. You will start to "feel" thinner a few months down the line.

Thanks Dr. Callery This really helped me in understanding that with a little more weight in my hips and thighs I may be at an ideal weight even with them still a little bigger than I would like. It makes sense but something I still needed to be reminded of. Thanks for this great site.