Photo
- - - - -

Having trouble with understanding the Maintenance Phase...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jodi

Jodi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Boorse
  • Hospital:Lehigh Valley Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:251
  • Current Weight:127
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:03/24/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:48 AM

I am 10 months out and am at 142 lbs as of today. Many people are starting to tell me that I am looking too thin now. I NEVER had a stall and have lost every single week. Although the weight lose has slowed down lately, I still continue to lose every week. I made an appt. with my dietician for next week because I do not understand the Maintenance Phase. I have increased my healthy eating and still lose. I do not want to start eating the junk so my weight loss with stop (ex. sugar, flour, rice, bread, processed foods).

I cannot believe that I would ever be asking this BUT has anyone ever had a problem with continuing to lose weight? If so, what did you do?

This is my typical day of eating:

7:00 am
B - cup of coffee with 1 tbl. of splenda and 2 tbl. of sugar free french vanilla
1/2 cup of sugar free maple oatmeal

11:00 am
snack - 1 cup of fruit (ex. watermelon, grapes, raspberries, blueberries)

2:00 pm
lunch - 1/2 cup of homemade chilli (90% fat free beef, lots of beans)
1-2 ozs of sharp cheddar cheese

5:00 pm
dinner - 1 oz of swiss cheese (whick is 1 slice)
3 oz of roast beef lunchmeat (sometimes I use chicken breast or turkey)

I started to eat a handful of dry roast peanuts sometime in the day to try to stop the losing.

I do not eat after 6:00 pm.

Edited by Jodi, 08 January 2011 - 05:50 AM.

Jodi

highest/surgery/now

251/246.5/125

#2 Laureate

Laureate

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee
  • Surgeon:Mark Colquitt
  • Hospital:Blount Memorial Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:328
  • Current Weight:179
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Surgery Date:10/26/09

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

I'm pretty sure you are below the calories for maintenance phase. Glad you are turning to your nutritionist.

#3 texasgirl

texasgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Surgeon:Dr.Phillip Leggett
  • Hospital:Houston Northwest Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:114
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19
  • Surgery Date:11/30/2009

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

I never thought I would ever say that I wanted to stop losing weight. I am now at 126 lbs and look to thin, my legs, arms etc are very tiny. I started at 267 lbs on 11/30/2009 and I have slowed down on weight lose but continue to lose at least 5-10 lbs per month. I eat alot of calories but still lose, how many calories should I be having daily in the maintenance phase? I am also afraid I will start gaining but I haven't yet. Is this common? My doc goal weight was 140 lbs, Ilm 15 lbs below that. Any advise? My labs always are good. Still struggle w/ getting enough protein and vitamins.
Surgery Date 11/30/09 Day of Surgery 267 lbs Current Weight 126 lbs Goal Weight 140 lbs My Goal 135 lbs Savonna Gallbladder Removed 12/5/10

#4 Losing Me

Losing Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

Yeah you are way below the calorie intake for maintenance. Increase your calories by 500. You should see a difference in your weight loss. If you are still losing too much after two weeks add another 500.
Bariatric Handbook

324/192.4/190/180
Highest/Current/1st Goal/2nd Goal

Body Fat % Goal:15% - 20%
Handle Held Monitior - Body Fat% 31.6
Stand On Scale - Body Fat% 37.4

January 2011 248lbs: 51.6 lbs lost!!

#5 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,704 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

I am 10 months out and am at 142 lbs as of today. Many people are starting to tell me that I am looking too thin now. I NEVER had a stall and have lost every single week. Although the weight lose has slowed down lately, I still continue to lose every week. I made an appt. with my dietician for next week because I do not understand the Maintenance Phase. I have increased my healthy eating and still lose. I do not want to start eating the junk so my weight loss with stop (ex. sugar, flour, rice, bread, processed foods).

I cannot believe that I would ever be asking this BUT has anyone ever had a problem with continuing to lose weight? If so, what did you do?

This is my typical day of eating:

7:00 am
B - cup of coffee with 1 tbl. of splenda and 2 tbl. of sugar free french vanilla
1/2 cup of sugar free maple oatmeal

11:00 am
snack - 1 cup of fruit (ex. watermelon, grapes, raspberries, blueberries)

2:00 pm
lunch - 1/2 cup of homemade chilli (90% fat free beef, lots of beans)
1-2 ozs of sharp cheddar cheese

5:00 pm
dinner - 1 oz of swiss cheese (whick is 1 slice)
3 oz of roast beef lunchmeat (sometimes I use chicken breast or turkey)

I started to eat a handful of dry roast peanuts sometime in the day to try to stop the losing.

I do not eat after 6:00 pm.

Babe - you're falling way short on your calories.

Take a look at this calculator: How Many Calories You Need Today - Calorie Calculator

Based on your age, height, weight etc., it'll give you a reasonable indication of your calorific needs just to maintain your weight.

You've got to work towards that ballpark figure but it's not something you're going to do overnight.

There's a few things you can do to increase your intake easily - a cup of 2% milk as approx. 130 calories. A tablespoon of peanut butter is around 100 cals. A protein drink made with milk is another good option - split it into 2 x 1/2 cup drinks.

A teaspoon of EV olive oil is 40 cals. And think about adding some fat free half half to your oatmeal. 4 tablespoons has around 40 calories. Not a lot but it all adds up.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#6 SummerEA

SummerEA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta
  • Surgeon:Dr. Nohr
  • Hospital:Medicine Hat
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:340
  • Current Weight:185
  • Goal Weight:190
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.5
  • Surgery Date:01/15/2009

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

Babe - you're falling way short on your calories.

Take a look at this calculator: How Many Calories You Need Today - Calorie Calculator

Based on your age, height, weight etc., it'll give you a reasonable indication of your calorific needs just to maintain your weight.

Holy crow! That calculator is great. Based on that, I'm eating way less than I should. But, for me that means I just plateau. That was my problem pre-op, I didn't eat and it killed my metabolism. So, I'm more active than I used to be and still not eating enough. Part of it is (exactly!) that I'm drinking 1% milk, eating low fat and low calorie everything because it's habit. What an eye opener! Thank you!

Jodi,

Apparently I'm not completely clear on it either! I was told that eventually your body will know when to stop. The only thing is you need to be getting enough calories for the amount of energy output or you will continue to lose.

When I'm eating enough (which according to that calculator isn't something I've been doing lately), I find I lose but gradually and many times my output is higher than my intake anyway. Be good to yourself, remember your "tool" doesn't work without your input. Maybe rethink the % of your milk or yogurt, use real sugar a couple of times a week or treat yourself to a small glass of fruit juice (that's what used to kill me before surgery)... My nutritionist told me that any of these aren't a bad idea. She also said to treat myself by adding "junk" but to avoid adding back in things like ice cream so I don't eat anything like that. Or white bread products in any form. Or anything carbonated.

Basically, think healthy but not TOO healthy 24/7. All things in moderation. :)

You can do it!

*hugs*
~ Erin :)

Scale Stomper #55

Highest/Pre-Op/Current/Personal Goal
345/340/185 :) /190

Milestones: Open RNY January 15, 2009, Two-terville March 7, 2009, Halfway to Goal June 3, 2009, Century Club and 2/3 of the way to goal August 31, 2009, One-derland September 4, 2010, Consult for Panni January 5, 2011, Panni May 12, 2011

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." ~ John Lennon

#7 Juno

Juno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland/France
  • Surgeon:Gilles Chassot
  • Hospital:Hopital de la Tour (Geneva, Switzerland)
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:292
  • Current Weight:145
  • Goal Weight:139
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.3
  • Surgery Date:06/29/2010

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

Does that calculator apply to WLS people?

Highest/2 weeks pre-op/DOS/Current/Goal
[center]
330/292/277/145/139

Down 147 lbs (50%) in 15 months ...

ONEDERLAND! - 2 December 2010
Under 150 lbs and 'normal' BMI - 30 July 2011
50% of me gone! 14 October 2011
139 lbs - Very final, completely finished goal :)

#8 Losing Me

Losing Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

Does that calculator apply to WLS people?

Unfortunately there isn't a calorie calculator for us. Most people long term avg between 1200 to 1700 calories per day. It all depends on you height, weight, and daily activity.
Bariatric Handbook

324/192.4/190/180
Highest/Current/1st Goal/2nd Goal

Body Fat % Goal:15% - 20%
Handle Held Monitior - Body Fat% 31.6
Stand On Scale - Body Fat% 37.4

January 2011 248lbs: 51.6 lbs lost!!

#9 MzPen

MzPen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNags Head, NC
  • Surgeon:Marc Boustany
  • Hospital:Norfolk Sentara General
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:298
  • Current Weight:279
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:06/08/2011

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Just my humble opinion, but if I were you I'd try to get more protein in at breakfast, maybe some kind of protein shake. And possibly add another small meal in there. Just me, but I would never try to add calories with sugar, but then I'm sugar sensitive. For me, fat calories are much better.

#10 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

It's a great calculator to start with an idea. It would apply to WLS people as we still need our nutrients...however, because of the WLS, we will need to supplement some of our vitamins and minerals to keep up with our body needs. You will need to adjust based on your own needs and surgery...Lap-Banders don't have the malabsorption problems that other WLS procedures have. When there's malabsorption, then there needs to be adjustments in the quality and type of food to eat, while balancing calories.

I personally don't track calories...it's about a balance of protein and carbs...I eat as much protein I can tolerate ( a shake in the morning and meats,beans, fish, and dairy throughout the day) and add carbs to each meal. I take my supplements 5 times a day, spaced out to absorb best.

If I want sweets, I have them, If I want chips, I eat them...I don't restrict on what I want. I have a few bites. A couple times a week, I indulge in more sweets (had 3 Twinkies yesterday :)). At the end of each month, it all evens out okay for me.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#11 mego5dzgrc

mego5dzgrc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationFresno, California
  • Surgeon:Dr. Onopchenko
  • Hospital:Atlanticare
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:288
  • Current Weight:148
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:04/12/2010

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I'm having the opposite problem. I am at almost 10 months out and I still have about 30 or so pounds to lose. I am currently fluctuating between 162 and 160. I have been in the 160's for almost 2 months now. The last 3 months, my weight loss has slowed down to almost nothing. Last month I only lost 2 or 3 pounds. I have started working out at the gym and trying to add more protein, but I feel like I am eating way more than I did in the beginning. I know that with time, we can eat a bit more at meals, but it also scares me into thinking I am eating too much now. I'm not really gaining, just fluctuating up and down over the same few pounds. I'm wondering if I am done, but I really don't want to be yet. Its very frustrating.
4-12-10 - The day my life changed FOREVER! :P
8/30/10 - ONEderland! Wooo HOOO!
3/7/11 - hit my size 8 jeans goal!
Only 27 more pounds until my goal weight!

#12 HealthNut

HealthNut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Surgeon:Eliseo Bautista
  • Hospital:St. Mary's - Richmond, VA
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22
  • Surgery Date:09/23/2009

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

I wouldn't worry about being done losing, mego5dzgrc... I did the exact same thing (stalled for a few months around 160ish) then I started losing again a few months later. I had surgery Sept 2009 and have lost 100% of my excess body weight. Be patient with yourself, eat healthy, drink your water and realize that your body is adjusting to the new exercise regimen (and you may be gaining muscle weight) and way of eating. Hang in there! It'll come!
HealthNut:D

SURGERY: September 23, 2009
[COLOR="Indigo"]Starting Weight: 258
Current Weight: 133

Personal Goal: 135
Lowest 127