GeminiGirl

Why LB over GBS?

31 posts in this topic

I am 4 years out with my band. It is working as advertised. I chose it for many reasons. I was on the lower end of the BMI scale for qualifying for WLS. I did not want the malabsorption that GBP offers. Sleeve was not an option when I was banded. But what I know of, I am not sure I'd have seriously considered it.

I will say, if this band gives me problems, I'd get another (at this point, subject to change, of course). If re-banding were not possible, I'd definitely revise to another surgery, and I'd work with my surgeon to decide which procedure was best.

I am preop for band. I'm 60 yrs od, 10+ comorbidities and BMI 37. Insurance(medicare does not pay for sleeve) Since my choice was lapband and GBP, I doubt I would have survived GBP. I know there are band problems and failures but also successes. I would revise to sleeve if I have failure of band(insurance will likely pay by then.) I already have malabsorbtion issues because of diabetes meds wreck my stomach and have chronic diarrhea. With the band's adjustability, same restriction and some weight loss will be acceptable for this sick old woman. I'm not in this for bikini or being hot. I am in it for surviving a few more years and reducing my meds some. Good luck and do your research....everyone's situation is different.

I am going GBS, I know some people have issues with the surgery and issues with mal absorption or whatever, but after hearing a lot of stories of the LB I would never go for it. The issues with band slippage, vomiting, acid reflux, etc just doesn't seem like a comfortable and healthy ride. The Sleeve is never an option for me. I know that with all of the surgeries that you have to work hard at what you do and you have to know that any one of these surgeries is a tool. Knowing that there are some people with issues with GBS they have the option to have it reversed, yes it may be a more complicated or more time consuming procedure but it can be done. Family members of mine have had the surgery, co workers and classmates. Its all a personal preference. My coworker is begging me to get the sleeve because she had GBS and she is having iron issues and having to have iron infusions, I feel bad for her but that doesn't mean that I am going to have to have the same things.

Whatever you choose, know its because it is what you decided, what you spoke with your surgeon about and what would be best for your body. No one else's opinion matters.

Good luck.

Edited by Looking2Lose

Depends on what kind of eating problem you have.

if you get most of your weight from sweets/junk food and you want to kick the habit, GBS would be better.

If you only have portion control problems Lap band would be better.

I forgot what my doctor said about the sleeve... but anyway it really depends on what your problem is.

I get a sweet tooth and that was my problem. My primary care physician tried the lapband and didn't lose any weight, and got on GBS and lost a ton and shes a size 6 now.

Be honest with yourself when you think about your food problems, no one else are hearing the thoughts but you!

I am all for the GBP. I know of too many people who had failure with the lap band. Even though I developed post op small bowel obstruction from the GBP I would still choose it over the lap band. I have a few friends who had the lap band and had to have revisions to sleeve or GBP. Even my daughter who many years ago had a band that you did not fill who loss weight and eventually gained it back. She later had a GBP and has maintained her weight for 7 years.

From what I understand, and the information I received at the clinic I attend, lap-band is reversible, but it is not an easy operation. . .definitely more involved than placing the band, and especially if there are adhesions, or if the band has embedded itself. I chose bypass and I'm very glad I did.