• 328 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:275
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Surgery Date:01/10/2011
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

im 13 days away from My RNY :P and my Surgeon did NOT tell me to do a Liquid Diet and does NOT have me doing that Colon Cleanse thing ive been hearing about - but i know that i have a Fatty Liver from my Gallbladder Ultrasound - the Tech told me... so HOW is the best way to Shrink My Liver within these last 13 days? is Low Carb best? or maybe Low Fat? ANYONE Know???

i started at 275 - im 51yrs Old - 5'7"

♥ RNY January 10th 2011 ♥

#2 so_fabulous_snc

so_fabulous_snc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr.Fernandez
  • Start Weight:255
  • Current Weight:217
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:12/29/2010

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

My doc has me on a special diet with a certain meal for each day for all 3 meals I could send u a copy if u want and I also have to do a half an oz of lemon juice mixed with 4 oz of warm water every morning.
Referral Approved 10/20/10
Seminar 11/16/10
Surgeon Consult 11/24/10
Lab work 11/30/10
Psych Eval 12/01/10
EKG,Chest X-Ray, GB Ultrasound 12/02/10
Nutritionist 12/06/10
Pre Op Appt 12/22/10
Surgery Approved 12/22/10
Surgery Date 12/29/10
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,450 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:52 PM

I suggest a very low fat - zero starchy carb (breads, crackers and cereal) plan.

Grilled meat and fish - LOTS of fresh veg, salad and fruit - they'll keep you fuller for longer.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#4 Pirata

Pirata

Ironman Triathlete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Location2nd star to the right
  • Surgeon:Dr Barker
  • Hospital:Portsmouth Naval Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-10
  • Start Weight:325
  • Current Weight:185
  • Surgery Date:01/06/2010

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:54 AM

My doctor have me on a liquid diet 15 days prior to shrink the liver. 5 slim fast shakes and unlimited calorie free, non-carbonated drinks. It worked like a charm and I even lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks.
High - 325
DOS - 290
Goal - 190
Curr - 185

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

#5 gsmall

gsmall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Albert Spaw
  • Hospital:Baptist, Nashville
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:290
  • Current Weight:158
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:10/04/2010

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:03 AM

I had a two week diet. The first week was 2 protein shakes a day (17 proteins/less than 200 cal) - 1 lean cuisine meal (very specific meal - I can look it up). The second week was 4 protein shakes a day. Eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day. I could also have broth and sugar free popsicles. Two days before the surgery, clear liquid only.

#6 SweetT

SweetT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Michael Murr
  • Hospital:Tampa General Hospital
  • Start Weight:356
  • Current Weight:329
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):58.2
  • Surgery Date:01/05/2011

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

I just posted something similar on the January thread, but I will repeat here. My doc didn't put me on any certain diet either, but I knew I had to worry about shrinking the liver and losing some weight before surgery. People on here suggested not doing full liquid if I didn't have to and I am glad that I didn't. I am instead following a very low carb, low fat and high protein plan. In the morning I am having a scrambled egg with a sprinkle of cheddar, for lunch I am downing a protein shake (trying to find some that I like, going through my samples), at some point in the day I have a few fresh strawberries or some other similar fresh fruit, and then for dinner I have a spinach or spring mix salad topped with grilled chicken, diced hard boiled egg whites, some vinaiggrette and maybe some steamed green beans. It is extremely satisfying. Though I get a little more hungry than usual, it hasn't been overwhelming. Eating the food, instead of doing all liquid, makes it much easier (at least for me) to deal with the cravings for the bad things and the foods that I can't have.... I've also changed what I drink. I cut out all the sodas and switched to the water, the G2 Gatorade, and a glass of skim milk per day...
Oh, and best of all I think what I am doing is working. I have already lost 15 pounds in the past 8 days! I have to imagine that my liver is shrinking it's little heart away!
Theresa

#7 sassy37

sassy37

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire
  • Surgeon:Dr Paul Super
  • Hospital:Heartlands , Birmingham , England
  • Start Weight:273
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:09/26/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

My doctor have me on a liquid diet 15 days prior to shrink the liver. 5 slim fast shakes and unlimited calorie free, non-carbonated drinks. It worked like a charm and I even lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks.

I did the same here as Sean .. I had a perfect non fatty liver my surgeon informed me and I also lost around 15 pound ..
A VERY low fat diet is reccomended .

Good luck and ensure you follow it you want your liver and yourself healthy for surgery x
Best Regards

Sas xx

Surgery date :Friday 26th Sept 2008

first fill 24.11.08 =6.5cc

Second fill 29.01.09=1 ml

Third fill = 1ml

Forth fill = 1/4 ml

10ml band filled to 8.45ml

Ive lost 133 pounds with THE BAND ! Im at Goal at last !

#8 catgirl

catgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Nohr
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:371
  • Current Weight:222
  • Goal Weight:180
  • Surgery Date:11/08/2010

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

im 13 days away from My RNY :P and my Surgeon did NOT tell me to do a Liquid Diet and does NOT have me doing that Colon Cleanse thing ive been hearing about - but i know that i have a Fatty Liver from my Gallbladder Ultrasound - the Tech told me... so HOW is the best way to Shrink My Liver within these last 13 days? is Low Carb best? or maybe Low Fat? ANYONE Know???

My dr. had me on this diet:
breakfast :protein shake
lunch: protein shake
dinner: 3oz lean meat & salad with viniagrette
3 small pieces of fruit through the day
6 crackers

And it worked awesome for me!! I lost 26lbs in the 2 weeks and he said aafter my surgery that I had the best looking liver he'd seen in years.
Hope that helps. =)
:) catgirl

#9 oocherryo0

oocherryo0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:120
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:08/30/2010

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

My Doc put me on a clear liquid diet plus protein drinks for a week... But because I ate like such a pig the last month before surgery I did a little more then a week. The week before my pre op diet I did two meals liquid and a healthy dinner.

Posted Image

#10 Lileee

Lileee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

I just posted something similar on the January thread, but I will repeat here. My doc didn't put me on any certain diet either, but I knew I had to worry about shrinking the liver and losing some weight before surgery. People on here suggested not doing full liquid if I didn't have to and I am glad that I didn't. I am instead following a very low carb, low fat and high protein plan. In the morning I am having a scrambled egg with a sprinkle of cheddar, for lunch I am downing a protein shake (trying to find some that I like, going through my samples)

did anyone tell you that your TASTE is gonna change after you have Surgery? i got alot of Samples too BUT im saving my Samples until AFTER i have Surgery - that way i can Test Them Out after my tastes Changes...! most of the Samples you really like NOW - you may NOT like after your Surgery... so Save Some Of Them for Later on... OK?

#11 SweetT

SweetT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Michael Murr
  • Hospital:Tampa General Hospital
  • Start Weight:356
  • Current Weight:329
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):58.2
  • Surgery Date:01/05/2011

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Lilee! I'm testing them out, but I know things will change, just sort of ruling out the really nasty ones. I've got the samples and am ready for the post surgery time.
Theresa

#12 Lileee

Lileee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks Lilee! I'm testing them out, but I know things will change, just sort of ruling out the really nasty ones. I've got the samples and am ready for the post surgery time.

LOL!!! but you might end up Loving the ones you Hate right now!!! thats why im saving all of my samples until AFTER i have my Surgery... i dont wanna really love one NOW and really hate it LATER... ill just find out Later which ones i like At All... :P LOL!!!

#13 Julie S.

Julie S.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Surgeon:Dr. John Meilahn
  • Hospital:Temple University
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:119
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):21.8
  • Surgery Date:07/06/2010

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

I did the same here as Sean .. I had a perfect non fatty liver my surgeon informed me and I also lost around 15 pound ..
A VERY low fat diet is reccomended .

Good luck and ensure you follow it you want your liver and yourself healthy for surgery x

Same as Sean & Sassy--nothing but SlimFast shakes, sugar free jello, broth & any other calorie free beverage I wanted (not carbonated). I was told to stay at 800 calories a day. However, it was a huge struggle at times.

"Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment."

"Failing to plan is planning to fail."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."