jumping_dolphin

8 days post-op and feeling down

17 posts in this topic

Hello, I am brannnnnnd new to all this. I found this forum and there seems to be alot of great tips and advice on here, so I thought it would be a good idea. I did alot of research before hand and went to all the education my surgeon required. I felt excited and very ready to have this procedure. My recovery is going well, not really any pain anymore. Physically, I am starting to feel great. But emotionally, is a completely different story. Ever since about 5 days out or so, I just feel like "what did I do to myself"?? I feel so weird, like I'm not me anymore. I guess it is because food was such a BIG BIG BIG part of my life before, that I really have no idea what to do without it. So far, nothing seems the same without food. Christmas is this week, and it doesn't feel like Christmas because food is such a big part of Christmas for my family. I keep breaking down and crying randomly and am very emotional. I never understood when my mom asked me before surgery "are you ready to cope with the death of your best friend?" I just shrugged the thought off because I was so ready to just rush through this surgery, eat very little, and get thin. I had no idea I would feel this way and how much I would miss food. I went to the mall to do christmas shopping and my sister parked us by the entrance by the food court... that was like taking a crack addict into a crack house with a straight jacket on! I just have NO IDEA how I am going to deal with this. I hear alot of "its gonna get better" and "its gonna be so worth it" from my friends, but I just don't believe it at this point. I feel very hopeless, which is not at all what I expected to feel after having this surgery. I am trying to drink water, take my meds, drink protein, etc...but its hard to find motivation to do any of that. I just want to sit and cry or sleep. I don't think this severe overnight depression is normal. I don't know. Anyway, I just wrote a whole lot and this is my first post :eek:, so that is really bad lol. Can anyway tell me if they experienced this and if it got better for them? Thanks for reading if you stuck through reading all this!

Hi there-

My name is Nikki, and I had GBS the day after you did (12/14/10). I understand some of what you are saying, and I'm so sorry that you're having a rough go. The Christmas thing will definitely be tough for me as well, my family does all seafood (my fave) and lots of rich butter sauce. I really miss food, too. And I don't think any additional preparation on our parts would help these issues.

Have you read about "head hunger"? Where your brain is telling you "Food-Food-Food" and your new pouch doesn't even know what hunger is yet. This could be the culprit-and I'm having trouble with this also. I've been trying to think logically about this, but it's dang frustrating. I do know that reading through different post on TT has helped tremendously.

Hang in there girl, I'm with ya! ~~~~~~~~~ Sending you good vibes from Ohio!!!

I went through a huge emotional let down at first. Like you I felt prepared in every way but I wasn't prepared for the depression and emotional turmoil post surgery. I finally just had to tell myself to get up and get going. Actually my teen daughter told me that "it was time to quite feeling sorry for myself." LOL I was so mad at her but she was right. After that each day got better and now I feel good. Food just isn't an important part of my life now. I eat to live now and do not live to eat.

Check out this blog....she is wonderful. She is candid about what she went through.....maybe you can relate? Focus on one day at a time.....

Surviving “Hell Week” – The First Days After Gastric Bypass

hi! i had surgery the same day you did! i feel exactly the same, litterly crying because i can't eat lol. it's making me crazy, especially since i still have to cook for my family. i think "what have i done to myself" every, single day, but i lost 13lbs the first week! it is just head hunger, i think, going from eating whatever you want to eating nothing hardly at all, it messes with you. this morning i made my two year old microwaved chicken nuggets, and i drooled, seriously, over nuked chicken nuggets LOL. Heres to hoping it really does get better! (and it will!) I can't wait to chew food again!

Hi there! I had surgery same day as you and am right with you. My family ordered pizza last night and i drank my strained cream soup while they ate.

I know what's on the other side is good and I am planning on spending tons of fun buying new clothes when I go to London this summer!

Looking beyond this week is what is keeping me going. This is temporary.

(((((huggs)))))I really don't have much to say because I'm still in the pre op stages. However, I'm hoping you start feeling better very soon! Hang in there girlee!

Welcome to TT! And thanks for sharing your very raw emotions. It is good for us pre ops to hear how difficult it could be. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I am going a week from today and I give you all the credit in the world for doing this right before Christmas. That has to be hard. You WILL get through this but it may be tough for a while. Think about any other major life change you experienced. It was exciting and scary and sad all at the same time I bet and then you got your equilibrium back eventually. That will happen again.

I have a friend who is 6 years out and she warned me how emotional it can be. She made it through and says she would do gastric bypass every year if she had to, so that gives me hope.

Hang in there and Happy Christmas

All I can say is it gets better. Lots Lots better. We all went thru this. Once you get your grove down and figure out what you can and can not eat, what things do and do not bother you. Plus as the weight comes off and the smaller sizes go on you can't help but love it. The food isn't as important anymore. It just takes time.

I think you owe it to yourself to sit down with a therapist and get this all out. It is a seperation from an old dear friend. We all got here because we love to eat. When you lose that forst 50 pounds you will understand why you did this. Try and make new feelings about the holidays. think about gifts and being with family instead of the food. Make WLs friendly foods for the holidays and invite others to taste them. I can give you a great butternut squash soup recipe that is low fat, low carbs and everyone will lick their platters clean or a turkey veggie chili that will knock your socks off. Stay focused because at the high weights you are doomed for alot of health problems. instead of missing the food celebrate the new you, your new life ahead the the new health you have found. Good luck to you

Thank you everyone that responded! This is such a nice place to come and talk to other people going through the same thing. Although it is still hard, I can feel things getting a little easier each day. Last night I ended up in the ER after having some very bad stabbing pains under one incision. My surgeon told me to go to the ER, just to make sure. Everything was fine, I have a slight infection though.. That sets things back a little and had me down last night. But I looked in the mirror today and can already see small changes in my body and face that make me feel good. I know things will get better, its just gonna take some time. I am making an appointment with a counselor and going to have counseling through these first few months to help me transition to this new lifestlye. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!:)

It's very common to have buyer's remorse early out of surgery. I went through it. It took a month or so before I started to feel normal and adjusted to my new eating habits (which change every couple of weeks). You're a young girl and have a whole life ahead of you, you will be so much more happier and healthier with your WLS. Give it a little time and soon you will have your clothes falling off you and buying smaller more stylish clothing.

Believe us....you will love the new you.:)

Hey there, and Merry Christmas! You absolutely are not alone in this, I had my surgery seven years ago and of all the things that I struggled with post op, this was the biggest. For me personally the struggle with weight was life long so all of a sudden at 39 I had to stop making my life revolve around food and I honestly didn't know what else to do. Food had always been the driving force of my social life, family life and even working life.

Now seven years later I can honestly say to you although it was tough, I would do it again in a heartbeat and I am glad now that I don't have the "food monkey" on my back any more. It doesn't dictate what I do or how I spend my time any longer.

Hang in there, be strong even when you think you can't - be that much stronger and keep your eyes on the prize.

You are GOING TO MAKE IT!

I am a little over two weeks out and I can totally relate to how you are feeling...for the past week or so I have been feeling the same way. I have a ton of thoughts running through my head and I have literally felt scared every day for some reason or another this past week. I'm hoping and praying that it will get better, but in the meantime I'm doing every I can to remind myself why I had the surgery in the first place. I hope that with time we both will be feeling happy and healthy!

"Buyer's Remorse" is the perfect term to describe the first two weeks. It seems most people go through it. My advise is to talk to those around you who will help you, get up and get moving, try not to dwell on the things that you are leaving behind and focus on the positive. It does get better!

Hello, I feel your pain. I have been having a lot of sadness over the food loss. I had the surgery 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and the holidays have been really really hard.

I just want to be able to eat some normal food even if just a small portion.

Chicken, lettuce, rice- All of it makes me throw up still. I am not sure about the 6 month thing. I pray that I can have small portions of real meals in 6 months. The only food I can still eat is driving me insane. I am sick of shakes and they make me nauseous now. Constantly on the lookout for new ideas on how to eat things I like in teeny portions. One thing I have been able to get down are beans...I read that on here actually. Someone else mentioned they were eating a lot of them so I tried. They were a godsend. I just crave that hot warm meal type of food so badly. I have good days and bad days. But, I am starting to adjust more. You will too. You will find some things you like that will help you with the loss, even in very small portions. I already feel lighter and have more energy so that makes it all worth it. You will get through it.

hi!!! congrats on ur surgery!!! i had my gb on august 13th....i felt just like you...i was so depressed..crying..angry...misserable at the loss of "food"....i cursed my doctors and myself!!! BUT..yesterday at christmas dinner i was relieved....for the first time in a very long time..i felt in control of my overeating...i didn't feel so stuffed and uncomfortable as i would have before...i stopped when i was full...i enjoyed myself....i didn't care that i couldn't stuff myself till i was numb....i had a bite of something sweet and was fine with that..compared to polishing off an entire plate of fudge and cookies!! all i'm saying is that it get's better...its so early out for you right now and its a hard time mentally....but just wait...you'll be 100 pounds down in a few months and that will feel great....you will get to that point when you could care less about the food court...and when that day comes all this pain and feelings of loss will make you smile...because then you will know that you have won this battle!!! GOOD LUCK! ;)