• Surgeon:Dr. Michael Murr
  • Hospital:Tampa General Hospital
  • Start Weight:356
  • Current Weight:329
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):58.2
  • Surgery Date:01/05/2011

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi! One week from today I will be starting my (two week) Liver Shrinking Diet. When I last saw my surgeon, he suggested that I do a liver shrinking diet but said he didn't care how I did it and that it was totally up to me what I did. I've read of a variety of different approaches that people describe on here. I am planning on doing the full liquid diet for the two weeks, as it seems regularly prescribed and to be effective for those that follow it. Since I don't have any real doctor's guidance though, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. That's where I am asking for help from all of you... I've read of a lot of people that just use the sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast and have up to 6 a day. Is this good? Safe? Will it do the job of shrinking the liver? Should I be using straight protein shakes instead of the Carnation Instant Breakfast?

Thank you so much in advance for your help...
Theresa

#2 sassy37

sassy37

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire
  • Surgeon:Dr Paul Super
  • Hospital:Heartlands , Birmingham , England
  • Start Weight:273
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:09/26/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Band

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

Most liver shrinking diets are to be low fat .... I did liquids for nearly 1 month ... slim fast , protein shakes , soups , low fat yoghurts ...
I can not advise on the carnation breakfast as we dont have that in England .
Drink plenty of water and just stick away from your fats you will prob loose I did but it is all about shrinking the liver and reducing the fatty deposits thats so common in big people .
Its all about making your liver healthier and smaller for surgery ..

Good luck on your pre op diet and with your surgery hun xx
Best Regards

Sas xx

Surgery date :Friday 26th Sept 2008

first fill 24.11.08 =6.5cc

Second fill 29.01.09=1 ml

Third fill = 1ml

Forth fill = 1/4 ml

10ml band filled to 8.45ml

Ive lost 133 pounds with THE BAND ! Im at Goal at last !

#3 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,744 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Babe - unless you really want to, I wouldn't be inclined to do a straight liquid diet. I warn you that is really tough to do.

Personally, I suggest a very low fat - zero starchy carb (breads, crackers and cereal) plan.

Grilled meat and fish - LOTS of fresh veg, salad and fruit.

Carnation Instant Breakfast is pretty useless stuff - tastes OK but the protein is pathetic.

Take a look at GNC for some of the ready to drink protein shakes. You don't have to worry too much about making sure it's whey protein isolate now - that'll be different after your WLS.

Maybe have a shake for breakfast, a salad with lean meat or fish for lunch and some grilled protein with a bucket of vegetables for supper.

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#4 debbielynn

debbielynn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Surgeon:Quebbemann
  • Hospital:Tri Cities Regional
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:289
  • Current Weight:164
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.7
  • Surgery Date:10/07/2010

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

this is what my doctor prescribed for the liver shrinking diet. it worked and I lost 20 pounds before surgery.

Bariatric advantage protein shakes 3-6 per day mixed with water only. any flavor is ok

3 protein bars from bariatric advantage

all the carrots, celery and peppers I wanted.

64 oz water a day

vitamins

I cooked the veggies in pam and I followed it perfectly. the 2 weeks goes by really fast too. I am suprised he did not give you a plan to follow. can the nut do that for you?

#5 carolanne

carolanne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Nussbaum
  • Hospital:Morristown
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:307
  • Current Weight:142
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):23
  • Surgery Date:12/30/2010

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:10 PM

My surgeon also doesn't require it. He told me to just not go crazy over Christmas. That said, I am trying to improve my lean protein and water intake, reduce fats, stop snacking etc. Something is working because I have lost 5 lbs since Monday.

As I get closer, I may take cinwa's advice and use protein shake, salad with lean chicken etc.

Carol Anne in NJ
Stay at Home Mom to 3 beautiful boys.
Looking forward to a long active life with them!

highest weight/surgery day/current/goal
305/286/154/165

Surgery Date 12/30/10

weight.png

#6 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

I commend you on trying to make sure you do this up right, right from the start.

I echo Corrine's advice all around. And please, do try to keep it low fat and low carb.. I can't stress that enough.. esp. the low carb (by that I mean, no "starchy" carbs as Corrine states. Fruit & veggie carbs = good stuff!)

Not sure if you've heard about the lady here whose liver cracked in half during surgery. Well, that was me.. and it was due to my being too stupid to follow that.. I didn't have a good support system at all, and didn't find this place till several weeks post op- wow, did I learn a lot! But I hope you can learn from my foolishness. Don't fret or stress about the holidays this year, you can do this, knowing that though you're abstaining from stuff this year, you're giving yourself more holidays to come.. healthier ones!

Good luck!

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#7 Buckeye

Buckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:314
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:175
  • Surgery Date:11/30/2010

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

I had to do a 5 day liver shrink. Could have up to 6 Carnation Instant SF Breakfast per day with skim or 1% milk, SF jello, broth, Decaf coffee (no cream), Crystal Lite and water, water, water. I mixed the CIB with 8 oz skim milk, added 1/3 c powdered milk for double milk protein, sweet n low packets, 2-3 ice cubes and gave it a whirl in the blender. Tasted good (you do get sick of them) but it was something different than just mixing as normal. I have one of those bullet style mixers that has been wonderful. Best of luck to you in this amazing adventure!
Start wt 314 on 5-10-10

Surgery wt 274 on 11-30-10

Home from surgery wt 289 :( 12-2-10

Current wt 197

#8 Shawna

Shawna

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Start Weight:520
  • Current Weight:518
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):81

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'm in the same boat! According to my doctor, my liver is one of the biggest that he's ever seen - so I have lots of work to do.

Being almost 500 lbs, you hear terrible things all the time but it was a big shocker to hear my doctor say it in such a somber tone.

#9 kimj

kimj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Surgeon:John Raheb and Dr McPhee
  • Hospital:portsmouth naval hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:306
  • Current Weight:209
  • Goal Weight:155
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):35
  • Surgery Date:12/01/2010

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

I loathed the two week liquid diet. I cheated the first week with sandwich meat, and carrots. I made sure the last three days I did only the liquid. 6 shakes a day. both, sugar free jello, crystal light an sugar free popsicles. He told me I did wonderful because I hardly had a speck of fat on my liver. Thank goodness or he would have never found the !!!!BENIGN!!!! nodule on it. (Sorry, It is still recent happy news for me! So I have to type it with excitement after a week of how long do I haves?!) I think what helped me was that I started a high protien No starch carb diet back in Jan. Lots of chicken and fish, and veges. Tried to limit my veges to two a day due to natural sugars. LOVED strawberries and chicken on mixed greens. mmm I cant wait to eat that again. I only drank water and crystal light. So if you do cheat on your liquid, do it with meat and veges. My head hunger appreciated it!
My new Birthdate!!: Dec 1st, 2010

306/245/155
sugery 255 Dec 1st 2010
1st goal 250 1-11-11
3rd goal 200
4th goal 175
5th goal 155

#10 Tigergal71

Tigergal71

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Fernandez
  • Hospital:Brandon Regional Hospital
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:357
  • Current Weight:164
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.9
  • Surgery Date:10/21/2010

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

I know it's crazy that I can't remember my liver shrinking diet and what I ate....It was only a couple months ago!!!!!! I remember lots of salads with grilled chicken....since lettuce is one of the very last things I'll get to add back in, I was told to get my fill of those. For breakfast, I had scrambled eggs, a slice of toast and stuff like that. Like everyone says, LOW CARB!!! But eat your fruit & veggies. One KEY thing for my liver detox plan was 4 oz warm water w/1 oz lemon juice (Minute Maid frozen concentrate....put it in the fridge and allow it to thaw and just add it to the warm water). I followed my liver detox diet very well, with the exception of eating a few more calories at times than was on there. I was told that was ok, but the lemon water was key. My surgeon said my liver was all cute and tiny and shrunk up out of the way. So it does work :)
I'm out of town now, but private message me if you want more info on my liver detox diet. I have the copy of it at home and can post it here, or message it to you privately!!!

Hi! One week from today I will be starting my (two week) Liver Shrinking Diet. When I last saw my surgeon, he suggested that I do a liver shrinking diet but said he didn't care how I did it and that it was totally up to me what I did. I've read of a variety of different approaches that people describe on here. I am planning on doing the full liquid diet for the two weeks, as it seems regularly prescribed and to be effective for those that follow it. Since I don't have any real doctor's guidance though, I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. That's where I am asking for help from all of you... I've read of a lot of people that just use the sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast and have up to 6 a day. Is this good? Safe? Will it do the job of shrinking the liver? Should I be using straight protein shakes instead of the Carnation Instant Breakfast?

Thank you so much in advance for your help...

PENNIE Tigergal71 ~ Scale Stomper #61
HIGH/DOS/CURRENT/GOAL
357/330/163.75/150
2010: -78
2011: -100 (Half of my body weight on 11/12/11)
2012: -15.25 as of 8/26/12 (healthy BMI reached on 8/23)

TOTAL LOST : -193,25 lbs!!!!
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

#11 horensavtizl

horensavtizl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

I have liver problems (A swollen liver) and my doctor wants me to do a two week all liquid diet with less ten 30 carbs a day to shrink my liver. I am using muscle milk light as my protein drink, they said that sugar free Jello and popsicles, and clear broths are fine to eat on the diet as well. I know its going to be hard (and over Christmas!!! I start Monday) but it will be worth it.
L

#12 FSU Girl

FSU Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Surgeon:Dr. Rosenthal
  • Hospital:Clevland Clinic
  • Height (ft-in):5-09
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.8
  • Surgery Date:12/22/2010

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:59 AM

Hey everyone!
I've been on this liquid diet for a week and a half now (my surgery is on Dec 22) and I've been doing really well so I thought I would share what my surgeon requires.
He requires 80-100 grams of protein a day with three protein drinks, I use Isopure they are 40 grams of protein each 0 carbs and I believe one gram of sugar. I am allowed sugar free jello and popsicles but I really am not a fan of either so I haven't eaten any.
I've lost 20 pounds so far and surprisingly have a lot of energy!
I also find it good psychologically because I am getting over my craving for junk and fatty foods. Its a good test for how the rest of my life will be and I'm enjoying it I've learned to say no and not feel weird :)
Good luck everyone! I hope everyone does amazing!!!