John

Winter activities and recreation

What are your favorite ways to stay active during the winter? We'll pick some of the best and list them in our first winter newsletter.

• Skiing
  • Hiking and star gazing (cheap and fun... just pick up/print some star charts)
  • Walking to look at Christmas lights

My main activity will no doubt be shivering to death again as the new me (I use the term loosely before Cassie starts :D) cannot handle the cold, but I also want to be involved in the following

Cycling. I want to do some club sportive rides out to say 60 miles this winter backside permitting. The bike is going in on Saturday for a service and some new wheels so it will be ready, the question is will I LOL

Shooting. I want to get more clay pigeon shooting in this winter and we also have some prone 1,000 yard range days planned that should be fun. A mate is preparing some home loaded rounds for me so we'll see how good I and the .338 really are LOL The really cold weather keeps the ranges quieter which is good news

Shopping.................My favorite nuff said

Hiking -- in my neck of the woods the bugs are a problem in the warmer months, so cool-weather hiking is a joy.

Cycling -- outdoors, no spinny stuff. Fresh air and sunshine.

Walking the dogs. Good for me; good for the heelers.

Walking was and still is my favourite form of all exercise and with 6" of fresh snow overnight, I'll be getting out as soon as it gets light outside.

I'm blessed to be living in a beautiful part of the country but I like walking no matter where I am.

Hitting the weights at the gym is something else I like - if I were a guy I think I could have seriously got into that stuff.

Outdoors: shoveling snow, lugging firewood.. LOL...

Every year we talk about snow shoeing and x-country skiing.. not sure we'll have the $ to get gear again this year, though :/

I LOVE being outside when the snow has freshly fallen and it's so quiet and peaceful!

Gym will be my best friend this winter, I'm afraid- swimming, spinning, stairmaster, strength training.

I do not ski, but love the snow and walking and hiking in the snow. Just being outside any time is wonderful. I have also been lifting weights through a class at the local high school so I will continue that after the class ends.

We had 6" of snow overnight and now it's crispy and frozen. Can't wait for daylight and I can get out for a good walk.

We had 6" of snow overnight and now it's crispy and frozen. Can't wait for daylight and I can get out for a good walk.

We're getting freezing rain.. yuck. I'm jealous of your snow.

And Corrine, you are up far too early in the AM, in my book! LOL Have fun!

I would love to try snow-shoeing this year. Not that we have any snow right now, but it will be here soon.

We're getting freezing rain.. yuck. I'm jealous of your snow.

And Corrine, you are up far too early in the AM, in my book! LOL Have fun!

LOL! I'm a morning person for sure. Come 8.30-9.00 p.m. you'll find me away with the fairies.

It was gorgeous outside but so cold - there's icicles hanging from the roof now.

Meg needed persuading to come with me (OK - so I had to drag her!) - she's an out-and-out couch potato for sure but she enjoyed herself once we got into it.

The leaves are drifting off the trees today. Low 70s and fall is here. It is a lovely time to go for a good walk. I am not very good at getting out and active when freezing and snowed in, so our move here has been a better fit. I love biking as well but am not good at getting out to do it. Got to work on that.

If we had much snow here -- and we don't -- cross-country skiing would be at the top of my list. I still have my skis and boots from when I lived in Chicago. Sigh.

If we had much snow here -- and we don't -- cross-country skiing would be at the top of my list. I still have my skis and boots from when I lived in Chicago. Sigh.

You know, I never considered cross-country skiing when I lived in Chicago! That would have been a blast.

I always wanted to try ice sailing, too.

You know, I never considered cross-country skiing when I lived in Chicago! That would have been a blast.

I always wanted to try ice sailing, too.

Mostly I went around to lower Michigan (Warren Dunes State Park), but one New Years Day (1999) we got two feet of snow and it shut down the city for a spell. I was able to ski in the tracks left by SUV tires before it got too deep for them to move about. It was a blast!

Ice sailing -- brrrr. Sounds way too cold for my blood.

Doesn't it look completely amazing, though? http://pictures.polandforall.com/images/ice-sailing-in-poland.jpg

I'd rather go to Norway and fly in a wing suit:

It's the most awesome thing EVER.

I'd rather go to Norway and fly in a wing suit:

It's the most awesome thing EVER.

That reminds me of this... if you ever thought skiing was boring:

Wow! Now I'm dizzy!

I've spent my winters traveling to warmer climates! Skiing is a fun activity and hanging out with friends.

Winter is my favorite time to shoot night photography since there is relatively no humidity to distort the image.

Buying my first pair of Skis this weekend...decided to pick a good winter sport that I would never of thought about doing when I was 350+

Love.Love.Love to ski! I taught all 3 of my kids how to ski at the age of 3 and they love it too. We just booked our trip to Mont Tremblant in Canada and it is our favorite place to go and such a great family experience. I am looking forward to fitting in my old ski pants and hopefully having more energy by then!

i am so excited for winter because this year im making my fiancee take me ice skating!!! its gonna be fun i havent been since being like 9!

went skiing for the first time today...wow I loved it

Hi,

Hiking -- in my neck of the woods the bugs are a problem in the warmer months, so cool-weather hiking is a joy.

Cycling -- outdoors, no spinny stuff. Fresh air and sunshine.

Walking the dogs. Good for me; good for the heelers.