• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Gregory Adams
  • Start Weight:240
  • Current Weight:141
  • Goal Weight:143
  • Surgery Date:11/11/2009

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:14 AM

I just got this on my live feed on facebook. These vitamins look fantastic. It would be nice to only take them in the morning and evening.

Do you think these are to good to be true?

Journey Bariatric Vitamins

#2 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

Yep.. too good to be true. The first thing I see is that calcium and iron are in one pill... which negate each other, it's the wrong kind of calcium anyway- so you'd need to add calcium.

You have to take 8 of these a day to get close to the RDA that is recommended by American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery

And their calcium, which they compare more favorably than calcium carbonate, but to me that is misleading.. it should be comparing itself to calcium citrate since that is the calcium we can absorb. This one is their own creation and hard to know if we absorb this one or not.

Then they sell their extra calcium and extra iron and b-12.. which is odd, to say the least.. if it's an 'all in one' as they claim (which it clearly is not)

As a comparative- Celebrate multi's, which are my favorite.. you only need to take 2 a day.. MUCH better than eight! They don't put iron and calcium in their tablets so that you can schedule your intake how you want to for maximum absorption.

Just the 8 vs 2 would win me over.

Bariatric Vitamins | Celebrate Bariatric Supplements | Bariatric Surgery & Nutrition is their website.. email and request samples.. just tell them what surgery you had and they'll send the appropriate type for you. You can ask for either chewable or tablets.

HTH.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#3 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 26,894 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

Along with what Kel says - there's no vitamin K or copper - copper is proving to be emerging as something to watch in bypass patients.

We're prone to iron deficiency anyway and iron needs copper to be properly utilized. When copper is not present in the proper amount, the iron accumulates in the tissues instead of in the hemoglobin molecule.

Severe ataxia, myelopathy, and peripheral neuropathy due to acquired copper deficiency in a patient with history of gastrectomy | Alternative Medicine Review | Find Articles at BNET

9/24/07 - Lap. - RNY with umbilical hernia repair

10/27/08 - Open - removal of omental mass, gallbladder, appendix, adhesions

11/12/10 - Open - bilateral femoral hernia repair

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#4 kevinsgirl

kevinsgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

I'll just stick with my Celebrate Vitamins.

You think that bariatric vitamins would be regulated by the FDA. It's scary that they can make big claims that aren't true! Thanks so much for the information.

#5 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'll just stick with my Celebrate Vitamins.

You think that bariatric vitamins would be regulated by the FDA. It's scary that they can make big claims that aren't true! Thanks so much for the information.

Very true.. it is scary.. And as bad as I feel these particular ones are- they are far from the worst!

What kind of cracks me up is part of their ad campaign is about not having to worry about a lot of pills every day.. but you have to take 8 of those vs 2 of Celebrate!? LOLOLOL..

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#6 kevinsgirl

kevinsgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

What looked appealing to me was buying 1 bottle of vitamins. I knew it had to be to good to be true...

One thing I was doing wrong with the Celebrate Vitamins was not taking iron. I didn't realize that they didn't have any iron in the multi. So for 9 months I wasn't taking any iron. I only found out when I went to a support group meeting and our Nut talked about how celebrate didn't have iron in the multi and that you had to add to it which made them a more expesive option. Oppps :o Anyways, I'm taking iron now and feel great!