JeepGirl43

How many ounces per meal do you eat?

19 posts in this topic

I am only one month out and still on soft foods, but can eat about 6 oz without any discomfort. I was wondering if this is normal and what I might expect for the future?

Could some of the folks who are further down the road please tell me your experiences?

Thank you!

This is what I worry about. Not knowing when it's 'enough'. These days, I'm on liquid protein only, but sometimes I drink and I have what feels like a sort of 'full' feeling. It's NOT full. Satiated maybe??? I don't know. It scares me cause I'm so worried that this will fail me. I gotta think positive. My doc told me prior to surgery that my pouch will hold 6 - 8 oz. That sounds like ALOT????

Even now, I can only eat 2-3oz of dense protein at a time.

And that works out at about 1/4 cup.

At your stage, my diet sheet recommended that amount too.

But for things like soups, cottage cheese, refried beans and the like, it was 1/2 cup.

Denser the food, the smaller amount you can eat but the upside is that it will keep you fuller for longer anyway.

I still measure/weigh my foods - not the vegetables and fruits and as I like to eat 6-8 times a day, I just spread my daily amount into smaller meals/snacks.

I have the exact same worries. I am struggling with the "no hunger , no full" - feeling. I am feeling insecure with my new tool.

It seems that I am tolerating food very well again.

First week: clear liquid diet

second week: full liquid diet

third week: puree

fourth week: soft food

I am in the puree stage, and I am allowed to eat everything that is pureed.

I did not have had any dumping or throwing up, but I had two times a very painful feeling of being stuffed.

That happened, when I estimated the food wrong and it kind of swell in my pouch.

My fear is, that I might have overstretched my pouch by theses mistakes.

A couple of days I was a nervous wreck , because of the fear of failure.

Thanks to the good people here in this forum I am doing better now. It seems, that a lot of us know this fear of failure, especially right after the surgery when everything is new. I am just trusting and hoping, it might improve over time.

Acouple of days ago, I signed myself up in a food diary. Its for free. And it actually gave me back some peace of mind, because I know now, I am not screwing it up regarding calories.

The site is:

Calorie Counter - Free Online Diet Journal

Hope you are feeling better and more secure over the time.

Dense protein 1-2 oz.....chili 1/2 to 1 cup easily

4 months out and I can eat way too much of anything. I could easily eat an 8oz steak if I wanted to. At a business dinner I ate 2 large shrimp and a 6oz filet with no issue. I was only going to eat 1/2 the steak, but it was like $55 so I figured I should eat it.

I can easily eat a 6" sub or a whole sandwich on regular bread.

I have to be really careful. I do pretty well 90% of the time.

For dense protein I can only eat about 3 1/2 ounces, but 4 ounces normally per meal. I am almost 7 months out and trying to keep my pouch from stretching out too much. So far it's going really well. I've lost 100 pounds since march.

ok JeepGirl pretty much hit it on the nail for me. I can't tell you guys how much I live in fear (surgery 8/17/10) of my stomach stretching out. I had the Gastric Bypass and I walk constantly and eat extremly small meals. but I seem not to get full at times but I even find it hard to mentally tell yourself to stop eating even when you are full (like old habits can die hard).

I am almost 2 mos. post op and I am only allowed 4 oz of food per meal. And at time it is hard to even get in that full 4 oz of food...I have lost 34 sence my operation.

4 months out and I can eat way too much of anything. I could easily eat an 8oz steak if I wanted to. At a business dinner I ate 2 large shrimp and a 6oz filet with no issue. I was only going to eat 1/2 the steak, but it was like $55 so I figured I should eat it.

I can easily eat a 6" sub or a whole sandwich on regular bread.

I have to be really careful. I do pretty well 90% of the time.

That's crazy.

I never feel full so I eat with my eyeballs. I know about what I am supposed to eat so that's all I put on my plate.

Tell me about it. I don't eat like that, but I can. I do pretty well with portion control, just kinda sucks that I have the ability to eat to much. Oh well, still losing and doing well.

I have one of those pouches that SCREAMS when I eat too much so I try to stick with approximately 3 ounces total per meal which includes my 2 ounces of protein, then veggies after, etc.

Last night for dinner I had grilled shrimp and green beans.......the shrimp were HUGE and I usually only eat 4-5 medium sized ones......well, after 4 bites of green beans and 3 of the SUPER HUMONGOUS shrimp, I was in PAIN......not sick, but hurting!

I think everyone's pouches stretch over time, so we have to follow CINWA's advice and weigh and measure! Oh, and I asked my hubby to please not buy any more GIANT shrimp, ha ha!

Nancy:)

Even now, I can only eat 2-3oz of dense protein at a time.

And that works out at about 1/4 cup.

At your stage, my diet sheet recommended that amount too.

But for things like soups, cottage cheese, refried beans and the like, it was 1/2 cup.

Denser the food, the smaller amount you can eat but the upside is that it will keep you fuller for longer anyway.

I still measure/weigh my foods - not the vegetables and fruits and as I like to eat 6-8 times a day, I just spread my daily amount into smaller meals/snacks.

Ditto! except I eat about 5-6 times a day and haven't added fruits and veggies yet.

At 13 weeks I can eat up to 3 1/2 ounces of solid protein. But, that leaves no room for veggies/fruit so I usually stop at 2 1/2-3 so I have room for fiber. The more dense your food, the longer you will feel satisfied.

The softer the food the more I can eat & the quicker I 'feel' hungry (more like my tummy starts rumbling to tell me to eat, than a feeling of hunger.) I can eat about 1/2-2/3 cup of cottage cheese and things like chili I could probably do a cup easily...not that I do.

I weigh anything and everything I put in my mouth. It's working well, I'm down 71# since my pre-op diet, 56# since surgery.

Wow, my pouch must be really small. I can only eat about 1.5 oz of dense protein and no more than 1/3 of a cup of softer foods. Not really complaining though, I've lost 109lbs so far. :-) I do feel hungry a lot, but I just drink more fluids, especially at night which was my dangerous snacking time prior to surgery.

I've learned with soft foods (yogurt, soups, chili) I can eat it with no problems of getting the "too full" feeling. I've also noticed I can eat some veggies with no problems either. Carrots are fine with me but for some reason lettuce has been a problem lately. Meats I can still have a hard time with sometimes but I really don't eat meat all that often, though I do miss i,t but it seems to hurt my pouch when I do eat it so I don't generally eat it. I have been able to eat eggs though lately and I was actually surprised I could eat two eggs now with no problems but a month ago I couldn't. I hope that doesn't mean my pouch is stretching out :(

I am 6 weeks out and still on mushy foods. I can eat 2 oz. If I go over that I get sick everytime. The last week I have been getting full on about 1.5 oz.

im 7 weeks out tomorrow and im supposed to be on mushies but have found the texture makes me gag them vomit...so i try to stick to ground meats ect and chew like crazy.

that being said...

i max out at 2oz of dense protein, that includes meat, egg, cheese strings ect and even 2oz is sometimes too much.

softer foods like yoghurt, pudding ect, i can do about 3-4oz total.

drinkage i can do 8 oz in about 1/2 hour, liquids seem to pass through unhindered...

if your concerned, call your nut, i know everyone is different but was told once im past the 'tender stages' and my pouch has truly healed i should be looking at a 4-6oz meal total with 4oz of that protein.

I'm 9.5 weeks post-op and have really nver had any consistent feelings of "fullness." So I am eating 5-6 oz of dense protein and 6-8 oz of "slider foods (chili, etc...)." Losing OK esp now that I have been able to get back up to my usual exercise routine.....but do worry about how I'll do post "honeymoon" period.