• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
jenny003

stomach virus after GBP?

14 posts in this topic

so I was wondering how severe is the stomach virus after GBP? is it the same intense awful pain and yuck that you felt before the surgery, or is less or more now?

Im terrified of getting it and just wanted to hear what others have experienced to help prepare me just a little! Thanks!

I am almost 3 years post-op and have NOT had a stomach/flu bug since surgery. Not sure if it's all the added vitamins or what...just hoping I didn't jinx myself saying this!

I had the flu two weeks ago and I will honestly tell you that it was the flu lol not any worse not any better just made me sick as heck and miserable.

I just picked my daughter up from a friend's house and she has a stomach virus. So I am interested in the answer to this question as well. I'm 4 weeks post op Monday. I just pray that I do not get this!

I am sure this is not what anyone wants to hear, but I just got out of the hospital because of a stomach virus. I was hospitalized for 3 nights because of it. It somehow got into my system, affected my stomach AND intestines. So not only was I sick as heck, nauseous etc- but I had a stabbing pain in my gut that had me rolled up in a ball practically in tears.

whether or not it affected me this way because of my bypass, im not sure. But ive never had anything like that happen to me before...

everyones body is different though, this is just my experiance- so I guess you will only find out how yours reacts when you actually get one.

I am sure this is not what anyone wants to hear, but I just got out of the hospital because of a stomach virus. I was hospitalized for 3 nights because of it. It somehow got into my system, affected my stomach AND intestines. So not only was I sick as heck, nauseous etc- but I had a stabbing pain in my gut that had me rolled up in a ball practically in tears.

whether or not it affected me this way because of my bypass, im not sure. But ive never had anything like that happen to me before...

everyones body is different though, this is just my experiance- so I guess you will only find out how yours reacts when you actually get one.

Dear Xan,

I'm so sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. It sounds like it was a horrible time for you. Are you feeling better?

Deb

My husband has it now. I bet he had not missed 3 days of work in 5 years and he stayed home today. He has not been able to sit up all day. I pray that I do not get this.

You know, along the same lines, I am terrified of food poisoning now. Because once it's down, and has made me sick, I can't puke it back up. So I inspect my food like crazy, and am careful to watch what I get when I eat out.

I am so terrified of getting sick with this, Im scared of the pain, not the puking persay but the pain!

ughhh

I had a bad stomach virus at about a year out.

It wasn't any worse because of my WLS. The pain is low in the intestines.

Imodium was my friend - that and stopping all dairy products until it cleared up.

I have a worse time with illnesses now as I can't eat or drink enough to stay hydrated and fed during an illness...and the medicines don't work the same to treat the symptoms. I suffer more, though it seems I recover very quickly....

I have a worse time with illnesses now as I can't eat or drink enough to stay hydrated and fed during an illness...and the medicines don't work the same to treat the symptoms. I suffer more, though it seems I recover very quickly....

Marie,

I've just posted about the efficacy of meds post gastric bypass.

I'll post it again here:

It's worth mentioning that for some, a gastric bypass can impact the efficacy of medications.

I was lucky to have a doc who was aware of this as a possibility when I was having a problem getting the "normal" period of pain relief from Percocet.

This is the link to the full article: Medication and nutrient administration considerations after bariatric surgery -- Miller and Smith 63 (19): 1852 -- American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy

Marie,

I've just posted about the efficacy of meds post gastric bypass.

I'll post it again here:

I know all about that...it's been a nightmare for my docs trying to keep me on the right schedule of medicines/supplements and the right form..I easily can overdose on the routine regimen of medications.....and with 2 major GI bleeds, I have to be on PPIs forever now... but the insurances won't pay for the more soluble kinds of medications...the scheduling of food vs supplements vs medicine takes all day!

I actually had a bacteria infection 2 days after I came home from the hospital, just 4 days post op. It was awful; I couldn