clockman_tom

Pre-Surgical Diet

7 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

I am going to have the R n Y hopefully before the end of year. I have gone through my insurances required six month diet and have lost about 12% of my weight. Today I met with my nut to learn about the 14 day pre-surg diet. After all of my reading here, I was expecting a liquid diet.

To my surprise, I will be on a 4 meal replacement drink and one meal diet for those 14 days. They want me to have one meal consisting of about 4 oz protein and two servings of veggies once per day. I even asked if this applies for the two or three days before surgery and she said yes, I just cannot have any food after midnight the night before the surgery.

I see the surgeon next Monday Nov 1st, then present the paperwork to BCN Michigan for approval which should take less than ten days to hear back. Then the surgery will be scheduled, so it is very possible that I could be having my surgery early in December.

So I am just curious if anyone ate real food during the 14 days leading up to their surgery.

Cheers,

Tom

I think the liquid only before surgery is primarily to reduce their liver size before laparoscopic surgery so its not in the surgeon's way. I would assume you do not have that issue.

Greetings all,

I am going to have the R n Y hopefully before the end of year. I have gone through my insurances required six month diet and have lost about 12% of my weight. Today I met with my nut to learn about the 14 day pre-surg diet. After all of my reading here, I was expecting a liquid diet.

To my surprise, I will be on a 4 meal replacement drink and one meal diet for those 14 days. They want me to have one meal consisting of about 4 oz protein and two servings of veggies once per day. I even asked if this applies for the two or three days before surgery and she said yes, I just cannot have any food after midnight the night before the surgery.

I see the surgeon next Monday Nov 1st, then present the paperwork to BCN Michigan for approval which should take less than ten days to hear back. Then the surgery will be scheduled, so it is very possible that I could be having my surgery early in December.

So I am just curious if anyone ate real food during the 14 days leading up to their surgery.

Cheers,

Tom

The answer is yes. Most people do do a all liquid diet. But some doc's are realizing that making people do the all liquid diet leads to more cheating.

So Rejoice! Because I think it is the better diet in the end. A light diet will also shrink your liver. Now just try to stick to it.

FYI- Some docs don't have their clients do any diet at all. Go figure! Why everyone is not the same is beyond me.

Best of luck and CONGRATULATIONS!

My bariatric surgical team did not prescribe liquid diets. Instead, they designed a strict high protein diet. I lost a good amount of weight!!! This was a 14-day diet that concluded when I started my surgical prep.

My diet was protein drink for breakfast and lunch and a salad with a small serving of meat (not fried) for dinner ny veggie in it except avocados and I had to use wishbone spritzer dressing. I could have all the decaf tea, coffee, water, and crystal light I wanted. 2 days before surgery I had to do all clear liquids with nothing affter midnight the day before surgery

Hi Tom,

My surgeon doesn't believe in liquid diets. My pre-op diet consisted of 3 meals per day with 3-4oz protein, 1 cu veggies, 1 cu fruit. I lost 15# in the two weeks prior to surgery. Good luck with your pre-op prep and surgery!!

Start DOS Current Goal

248 231 217 130

Hi Tom,

My surgeon doesn't believe in liquid diets. My pre-op diet consisted of 3 meals per day with 3-4oz protein, 1 cu veggies, 1 cu fruit. I lost 15# in the two weeks prior to surgery. Good luck with your pre-op prep and surgery!!

Start DOS Current Goal

248 231 217 130