• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
Mamadebski

Dehydration

19 posts in this topic

How do you know if you are getting so dehydrated that you need to get IV fluids? This weekend I became pretty ill with a bad cold and diarrhea. I could barely get anything down at all. The thought of taking my chewable vitamins made me want to vomit. I need to find some liquid forms of vitamins and calcium I think. This morning I am still struggling to get fluids, meds and any type of food in. I vomited right away. Now I'm sucking on unsweetened ice tea simply for taste. I will get back to water ASAP as I know that the tea has caffeine, which will only exacerbate the problem.

Things are going to get better, right? I'm feeling some regrets right now.

Please tell me it is so.

Deb

Edited by Mamadebski

Debs - you aren't going to come to any harm by not taking your vitamins and calcium for a couple of days.

The only thing you need to concentrate on is getting fluid into you right now - forget the food, no protein shakes - not milky stuff - just clear liquids.

Given that you're not even a month post-op, you might want to make a call to your surgeon's office and ask their advice too.

Thanks, Corinne. I want to be so positive about things - I'm just not in great space right now... I feel like a pain in the neck for calling the office, but I'll do it.

Deb

call your surgeons office, even if you dont need to be admitted for fluids, they may be able to give you some antinausea meds. I landed myself in the hospital twice for dehydration, it is not fun. The last time they released me with 3 different kids of antinausea meds, and I have been great since. Good Luck. Hope you feel better soon!

Well, I called my surgeon's office and they want me back in the ER again to have a swallow test. My surgeon called me and asked what my symptoms were - she stated that it seems so strange that I would develop problems two weeks after surgery when it all went so well initially. Is this her way of being concerned? I immediately begin to wonder what she is thinking. This isn't all in my head. Sorry - just need to vent... If I hadn't been told that things were all in my head so so many times before, then maybe I wouldn't be reacting this way. Perhaps I'm just reading more into my surgeon's reactions than I need to. Anyway, I'm off to another ER adventure in Boston.

Deb

seriously, Deb.. I don't know why your surgeon is acting like it is unusual for someone to struggle, even if things were perfect up to this point... and for you that is simply not the case. Ignore her comment that she doesn't understand.. if you feel like garbage, you feel like garbage and it is their job to suss out what is the problem/cause and what is the solution.

Dehydration is a very common issue early post op when it's so hard to get fluids in, add diarrhea and you almost can't avoid it!

If you continue to struggle to get fluids and food in and it causes pain... have them check for a stricture.. those are most common through the first six to eight weeks (not 'common' per se but if you get them, that is the most common time, though they can come later for some).

Glad you're going in.. dehydration can be extremely serious. I think sometimes people don't take it seriously... and it can be deadly if left unchecked. I'm glad you are taking the chance that this is your issue seriously. You're better off going in and being wrong than being wrong and not going in, you know? {{hugs}}

Good luck Mamadebski.....I hope they get this all figured out for you and get you back on track. I know right now you're having your "buyer's remorse", but hang in there! Things always seem to hace an uncanny way of working themselves out. Think of this as a little speed bump ;)

I hope you feel better quickly and this all gets resolved soon. Sorry you are going through this! Keep us posted, I will keep you in my thoughts.

Cyndie

Quick point - at 3 days post op, I developed an obstruction at the y junction where the intestine from the pouch meets the intestine from the remnant stomach. It cleared up enough that things passed through, and I got to go home. At about 2 or 3 weeks post op, it came back, which coincided with me moving from the full liquid phase into the pureed phase. Point is, you don't know what will upset your system, and often, it isn't anything you did or could possibly have foreseen.

Second point, it *does* get better. I had a absolutely awful first month and a half after surgery, and I'm still here and pretty happy about life now. :)

awww Deb. I am sorry I just got home and got your PM about this. I responded on your page, but I will do so here as well. I am glad you called the doctor, and I can totally sypathize with you on this issue. It is NOT in your head. Regardless of anything they tell you in the office, or in the ER- you know your body better than any of them do. If you think something is wrong... then something in wrong!

Hang in there, it does get better. Trust me, I had remorse for at least 3 months with all my complications... but looking back I would do it all again in a hearbeat!

I don't know where she is right now as far as the ER... but I did text her and got a reply around 4ish that she had IV fluids and was headed for a 'swallow test'. I dunno if that means a scope to see if she has a stricture or not.

I hope she's feeling better soon.. she's already been through ENOUGH! I was glad they were taking her seriously at the hospital instead of making her feel it was all in her head.. grr.. that makes me so mad!

Oh My Goodness ,,, Deb I am thinking of you and hope your trip to ER in boston turned out 'good'... I am sorry I won't be around to hear how you are doing for a few days... But, I am thinking of you. As you know, my surgery is tomorrow at 8am.... I'll be sending positive vibes your way.... I am very glad that you are being pro-active and calling your doctor, they can't help us unless we keep updated with any problems.. My surgeon has told me several times to call, no matter how small an issue I think I have... So, good call and hope to hear from you soon.... Lisa

Has anyone heard from Deb? I hope she's ok!!

I sent her a message but not heard back. I will give her a call later today- don't want to call too early.

I cannot thank you all enough for your good thoughts. Between coming down with a bad cold that made me want to drill into my sinuses to drain them and feeling very constricted with taking in fluids, I did end up in the ER again- for 26 hours, and then was admitted for another night to get very well hydrated with IV fluids.

The long and the short of it is this: My Omentum (the fatty tissue that surrounds and protects the small intestine) is still inflamed 5 weeks post-surgery and is constricting the emptying of my small intestine. It is truly fascinating to watch the barium go down smoothly, then poll, back up and then very, very slowly begin emptying downwards. It looks like 5 lanes of traffic trying to squeeze into one lane at rush hour.

I feel like writing an "Ode to my Omentum"!

Anyway, I'm home again and feeling a bit better, though struggling to get even liquids down right now.

Again, thank you so much to all who have checked in on me. I really appreciate it.

Deb

Deb, I'm glad to hear your back home but am feeling sad you've had to endure soo much in your first 5 post weeks ! WoW, hopefully your Omentum doesn't cause a stall in your Momentum to Go Forward from here on, he, he, he... I hope you have no more 'news' to post, or that it would be good news here on.....

Take Care, Lisa

Deb, I'm glad to hear your back home but am feeling sad you've had to endure soo much in your first 5 post weeks ! WoW, hopefully your Omentum doesn't cause a stall in your Momentum to Go Forward from here on, he, he, he... I hope you have no more 'news' to post, or that it would be good news here on.....

Take Care, Lisa

Ha ha ha - I like it! My Omentum stalled my Momentum - I feel a rhyme coming on...

Right now I'm drinking a berry smoothie made with frozen strawberries, soy milk and Greek Yogurt. It is the only thing that I have been able to keep down that has any substance. So, I guess I'll drink these until I get sick of them because having no other nutrition other than bullion and water has not been fun.

Deb

So sorry to hear that you have been so ill but also so relieved to hear you are home and appearing to be on the mend. Funny how we all don't really know each other but I was truly worried about you and checked the post's each day to see if there was any news on how you were doing. I was so relieved when I saw a post from you on another subject. Glad to know you are home! And I hear you about bouillion and water - don't think I will ever be able to smell or stomach broth again!

I cannot thank you all enough for your good thoughts. Between coming down with a bad cold that made me want to drill into my sinuses to drain them and feeling very constricted with taking in fluids, I did end up in the ER again- for 26 hours, and then was admitted for another night to get very well hydrated with IV fluids.

The long and the short of it is this: My Omentum (the fatty tissue that surrounds and protects the small intestine) is still inflamed 5 weeks post-surgery and is constricting the emptying of my small intestine. It is truly fascinating to watch the barium go down smoothly, then poll, back up and then very, very slowly begin emptying downwards. It looks like 5 lanes of traffic trying to squeeze into one lane at rush hour.

I feel like writing an "Ode to my Omentum"!

Anyway, I'm home again and feeling a bit better, though struggling to get even liquids down right now.

Again, thank you so much to all who have checked in on me. I really appreciate it.

Deb

Oh, isn't that barium stuff so much *fun* to drink? If I never see another barium it will be too soon. :/

Do they expect that this restriction will resolve once the inflammation is taken care of? Ew.. will you need more barium? If so, massive sympathies sent your way :(

You "sound" better than you did before.. anyway.. I'm glad you're getting 'something' into you! We might have to postpone our x-country/snoeshow plans for this year if the two of us don't get better! lol..... (hoping to get my next surgery scheduled soon enough to get out there this winter!!)