Cicoca

Loose skin

9 posts in this topic

I am really curious to know have anyone experienced a lot of loose skin with your weight lose. I have about 180 lbs. to loose to get to my goal weight and loose skin is a concern. I was told that if I started taking Letichin (a supplement) it would help with the elasticity of your skin. Have anyone found this to be true or anything else that would help while I am still pre-op?:)

My doctor bluntly told me I would end up with a LOT of excess skin. For most of us it seems the skin has been stretched so much over the years there is no elasticity left. I would anticipate younger people may have a better time of it, but I've never read anything to that effect or of using Letichin. Worth talking to the doctor about.

Thanks mcnerd!!!

How much loose skin you end up with depends on many things. You're age, how long you've been obese for, whether you've yoyo dieted, pregnancies, genetics etc. etc. etc.

And the other thing is that as we put weight on, we don't just stretch our skin, we actually grow extra skin too and you can't ungrow it.

So how do so many women have babies and stretch out their skin tremendously and then it goes back into place? Is that due to the short amount of time they are large?

So how do so many women have babies and stretch out their skin tremendously and then it goes back into place? Is that due to the short amount of time they are large?

If a woman isn't overweight to start with and gains just the recommended 25-35lb or whatever during her pregnancy then, statistically, she's going to reduce her risks of ending up with stretch marks. And genetics will play a role in it too.

But being realistic - not one of us is here because we gained just 25-35lb!

You're typically talking about having a good 100lb excess weight. And if that isn't bad enough, over the years, most of us have seen a good few of those pounds come and go and come back again (bringing a few friends to join the party).

Readytotransform likes this

Thanks guys!!!! Anyone else?

yeah my genes played a trick on me my tummy didnt go back after my pregnancies and well I have excess skin on my tummy right now!

I don't think we can loose over a 100lbs and not have loose skin. It really depends on your history though, as to how bad it will be. I have lost 130 and my stomach looks like a sharpei(sp) puppy. My inner thighs and arms have loose skin as well. But that is the price I am happy to pay for no longer being on BP and diabetic meds and for being truely happy with myself for the first time in my life. I hope to be able to have the skin removed in the next year or so, but if not, I will still be in a size 8 jeans and loving life.

cherryl