kimj

I feel like I will not be ready

I am trying to make a list to get everything ready by Dec. I am super cleaning, rearranging, and trying to prep. I dont want to come home and feel lost. What did you do to prepare for your surgery? What did you not do, that you wish you did? I will be on only shakes and clear liquid from Nov23- Dec 22. ( for some reason they are not having me do full liquids) Then I will be on soft until Jan 19 Then pureed until feb 16th. What groceries did you buy before surgery? How fast do you go through a 2lb canister of protien powder? I am trying to figure how much I will need until I can eat solids again. Thank you for any help, tips, or stories to help me prepare! Thanks! kim:confused:

You'll be ready! I made sure all my bills were paid, house clean, laundry done and scripts filled! For when you get home have something you want to watch or read (I went through every episode of Entourage). Be sure to have a heating pad, ice pack, miralax, gas strips and a good thermometer. I dont know what plan your Doctor has you on but when I got home I had jello, popsicles, broth, crystal light and protein shakes. One thing I wish I had done was take my measurements every week. I was to focused on the # on the scale (still am) the measurements speak louder than the scale. Oh and I go through a container of protein shakes once a month. Its a big container! It should last longer but my kids drink the shkes too! :P

you'll be ready :) I'm a week away and i still dont be ready but we will be :) its just a scary time and i guess there are always endless ammount of tips, information to read and things to do :) In the end do what you think its important to you and have someone be there with you after the first week or two after surgery if possible incase you need help with something, thats what i'm doing!

Ofc i'm trying to clean everything. My husband and i are going to try to paint and do a few house projects this last week if we dont finish it then it will have to wait maybe half a year lol.. its stuff we wannted to do for years but now we're like why not, people are coming by to visit me and everything is clean lol why not just do it :)

You'll be ready! I made sure all my bills were paid, house clean, laundry done and scripts filled! For when you get home have something you want to watch or read (I went through every episode of Entourage). Be sure to have a heating pad, ice pack, miralax, gas strips and a good thermometer. I dont know what plan your Doctor has you on but when I got home I had jello, popsicles, broth, crystal light and protein shakes. One thing I wish I had done was take my measurements every week. I was to focused on the # on the scale (still am) the measurements speak louder than the scale. Oh and I go through a container of protein shakes once a month. Its a big container! It should last longer but my kids drink the shkes too! :P

I learned that about measurements, too! I lose more inches than weight and have noticed that when I focus on the amount of inches I do much better!

Thanks! My biggest fear is to get home from surgery, and not have something, or have to do something I forgot to do before. Thant and that my mom is coming to help me out the first week, and I know she will be cooking for my hub. If I could go for a walk by myself I would, but with my back I have to stay on the treadmill for now. So that is going to be a big challenge. Thanks again!!

I had the band put on october 7th 2010. I only had to do a 2 week pre op liver shrinking diet. I completed my 2 week post op liquid diet and now am on to phase 2 with pureed foods. I am doing well. A month with just clear liquids is thought but you will get through it. It looks like you are already losing so that is great! cinnamon and vanilla extract are great flavorings for the shakes if you get bored. Remember to use the low sodium broths. Practice sipping them instead of gulping them. you will need this skill for after surgery. I am happy with my band. I can feel the port under my skin which is a bit weird but other than that I am melting away. I am losing at least 1/2 pound a day right now. I am trying to get to 50 pounds by thanksgiving. good luck with your surgery. Lets keep in touch.

debbie

Hi Debbie! Sounds like you are doing very well! I am hoping to have a speedy recovery as yourself! 1/2 pound a day, WOW! That is amazing! i am getting ready to start testing out more shakes, that way I do not get to bored! lol I love the idea of adding flavors! I am a big stevia nut, and they have the best flavors! I make a ff calorie free hot chocolate, it is hot water a few drops of french vanilla stevia and if I am aiming for more of a chocolate flavor, I will add in some cocholate drops! People think I am crazy (who are not trying to change their lifestyle) but I love it! I started my WL journey in January. I started with the HCG diet! IT was great! Taught me how to eat correct serving sizes, and is high protien based. I learned a lot! I also no longer have high cholestorol (sp?), or sleep apnea. whew! I did that for three months, and then I move away from my doctor who was monitoring me on that journey. Here, they are not so keen on the idea of it. I personally think it did wonders for me! Now, I am ready to continue my journey with the lap band. I am looking forward to the day when anything more than walking does not hurt me! lol I was always active in my teen years, but was always overweight. Now I want to be active and healthy! I hope to stay in touch also! There is not very many of us bandsters on here! lol

. Remember to use the low sodium broths. debbie

I almost forgot, my nutritionist said that I should stick with the regular broth, then after a few weeks, go to the low sodium. Were you suppose to do low sodium from the beginning?

On things I wish I had done. I wish that I had made arrangements with a trusted person to take me to the hospital in case of an emergency. My husband had to travel for work 2 weeks after my surgery. I came down with a nasty bladder infection. On things Im so glad I did: I bought a hydra coach water bottle. It has a sip tracker that helped with making sure I got enough water. Good Luck!!!!

I bought a wedge pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond, a magic bullet, a pill crusher, small containers, 4 oz. size with lids, little spoons, little bowls and saucers, even smaller drinking glasses, along with the needed liquid diet food.

Thank you! Those are some good things to add to my list! I love my magic bullet! I have been testing different things out, trying to make a small recipe book for myself. What is the wedge pillow for? Was there anything that you wished you had done prior to surgery, that you did afterwards? Thanks!!

Take a before picture. You can use the same location & pose of the picture and similar lighting to show your before and after pics. I did not take my "before WLS until liek the day before surgery and by that point I had already lost 25 pounds so it does not quite show me how big I was before I started losing.

For my pre-op diet I had a choice of slim fast high protein (5 per day) or water. I feel your pain especially in seeing some people getting mushy foods right up to the night before surgery. This definately made me jealous but the point is, I got through following my doctor's diet to the letter.

Thank you! Those are some good things to add to my list! I love my magic bullet! I have been testing different things out, trying to make a small recipe book for myself. What is the wedge pillow for? Was there anything that you wished you had done prior to surgery, that you did afterwards? Thanks!!

It just supports you in bed better than a pillow. I couldn't lay flat or on my side for a week or so. Slept propped up on the wedge with a pillow under each arm.

I did what you are doing, cleaned the house, paid the bills, got all my food and supplies ready for when I got home.

ok, gotchya! I will have to go check them out. I was thinking about getting a recliner to get through the first few days too. I am definately going to start a scrap book for before and after. Thanks to all replies!!

Kimj! what do you mean by magic bullet? I'm sorry I dont know most of the terms yet :)

Kimj! what do you mean by magic bullet? I'm sorry I dont know most of the terms yet :)

It is a blender. Here is where I got mine:

Walmart.com: As Seen on TV Magic Bullet Express Blender/Mixer System: Appliances