Pepper

Excess Skin

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has had any major problems with excess skin, what you may have done about it, or what you have done to decrease the chance of having a lot of excess skin.

I haven't had too much of a problem yet, I have lost 132 lbs so far with 48 to go. I am actually surprised it hasn't been worse. I am slowly build up my exercise routine though. Hopefully that will improve it even more.

wow 132 pounds! thats amazing! Im so glad you say that about the skin, I havnt had surgery yet (waiting for a consultation appointment) and I have these fears of having all this saggy excess skin and saggy boobs! hahaha

I probably have about 160 pounds to loose to get to my ultimate goal weight.

wow 132 pounds! thats amazing! Im so glad you say that about the skin, I havnt had surgery yet (waiting for a consultation appointment) and I have these fears of having all this saggy excess skin and saggy boobs! hahaha

I probably have about 160 pounds to loose to get to my ultimate goal weight.

I don't regret it at all, I've been lucky though, no complications after 8 months. I've only have had 2 dumping spells in 8 months and they were both in the fist 6-8 weeks when I was "testing the waters"!!! I feel 10 years younger though. You will have to exercise too though!

Yea! I love swimming and have just moved into a new house with a pool! so I will be living in that pool this summer!! cant wait!

I haven't had too much of a problem yet, I have lost 132 lbs so far with 48 to go. I am actually surprised it hasn't been worse. I am slowly build up my exercise routine though. Hopefully that will improve it even more.

Hi guys! I also have this issue.. i've lost 40lbs pre-op and already my belly is hanging a bit pretty bad.. i'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong. I have been doing cardiod workouts and boxing with my wii :) since i've been too scared to go to the gym being this big. Also signing up for a cardiod workout class with big girls but i wonder if all this bouncing makes my skin flap more so sag more?

What kind of exercises do you do rex? please give details.. bikes is what my physical therapist suggest but i dont even meet the weight limit weight for it...

Congrats on your new life! Like T-Rex I feel 10 years younger. I havent had any skin issues. I drink double the water and incorporate toning exercises into my routine. Im not sure that is the answer I just know my outcome. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey ;)

It's very difficult to predict the amount of excess skin that we'll be left with. A lot of things can factor into it.

Age, how long you've been overweight, yoyo dieting, pregnancies, genetics, alignment of the stars etc. etc. etc.

Exercise will never make excess skin go away - apart from the fact that the skin stretches to accommodate our excess weight, simple fact is that we also grow extra skin and that can't be ungrown - we're stuck with it.

There's a lot you can do to minimize the effects - things like regular exercise will tone up the body and a good moisturizer will rehydrate the skin and make the problem a little less noticeable.

I've lost around 150lb, had 2 babies a 35+ year history of yoyo dieting and was 52 when I had my WLS. Not the best hand of cards to be dealt but all in all, I'm pretty happy with how I turned out and my doc is amazed at how little excess skin I actually have.

A word of warning though. At about the 9-18 month mark, I looked horrible. Very wrinkly, and facially (and the neck), I looked old. But almost overnight, that changed and it was almost as if my skin readjusted itself to fit a little better. And it's something that seems to happen to a lot of people at around the same time.

Sweetheart - you have a lot to contend with when having WLS - both physically and mentally. Don't get bogged down with stuff like that right now. And it doesn't happen overnight anyway.

Thanks Cinwa! your post has made me feel a lot better! I know its silly worrying about that stuff now, but now that I have finally got my consultation appointment with all the important people I'm sooooooo excited and am not even gonna think about my silly little fear of excess skin now.

yes i agree :) thankyou cinwa -- the only thing is i would like to hear more in details what excercises you focused on that helped your issues! I love the mosterising idea too because i didnt think of it but i will incorperate mosterising more with hopes that it will help my skin not be too bad.. thankyou so much