SueM

Hair?

Hi all... (This is such a vain question, I KNOW.) I'm just wondering - does EVERYONE lose most of their hair? I've always had really thick, shiny hair (my one beauty consolation - and no, you can't tell it in my horrible picture), and I'm really nervous that it's all going to fall out.

Has anyone KEPT their hair or not had it be as bad as they expected? Does it ever come back?

-----------

Seminar - 8.03.2010

PCP visit - 9.30.2010

Surgical consult/nutrition/psych - 10.20.2010!

I am not sure if everyone does loose their hair, but quite a few people do. I lost quite a bit of hair starting at about 3 months out. It has started coming back in in the last month or so. It looks a bit funny, a bit like a porcupine. So it does come back. I was lucky and had thick hair to begin with, so noone really noticed except my hair stylist and me. I have taken biotin from the start and don't think it really helped, but didn't hurt.

Cherryl

I haven't lost hair yet but I am only 9 weeks out.

A recent thread on bad breath (Dietary Ketosis) said that an unstable condition of carbs vs protein can/will cause hair loss. It was an interesting topic.

There are several post on this site about losing hair. I was very worried about it from the start & searched to find a way to avoid it! There is no shame in asking or having some concerns about this part of WLS. I didnt start losing my hair until about 7 to 8 months out. It really freaked me out...im not going to lie! My once thick & long hair is now very thin & short! I cut it chin length a couple of months ago. However...since I've cut it, it has been growing back in really nice...& really quick might I add! I take Biotin once a day with my other vit. There are several other things out there on the market to promote hair growth...do a little research & find out what works for you! Good luck! =)

You lose hair if you don't get enough protein in. That's when I know I've had a bad week of not getting protein in.. When my hair starts coming out more in the shower. It's also related to vitimin intake. Maintain your protein intake, and keep up with your vitimins and your hair should be fine. It may get a little flat/ but it will catch up. Your body is going to be going through some crazy changes. Hair and breath are not exempt! :-)

Im 3 months out and I am really starting to lose my hair now, hoping that it doesnt get too bad! But hey its a little to pay for such a big help in a healthier life, right?

yup one thing I have been looking for answers on so its good that I've found some here, I would guess the reason people lose it about 3mo out is because of the limited intake, liquid and puree diet... But any advice to keep from losing too much is welcomed!

To be honest, I think it just depends on the person. My protein levels have been normal during my weightloss and I lost a ton of hair. It was around the 4month mark that it started falling out and it didn't quit untill the 9 month mark. It was so sad, handfuls would fall out at a time. I ended up cutting mine off. It still looks stragly but it's growing back in. I'd still do the surgery all over again. Being healthy makes it all worth it!

I agree with Kevinsgirl, there really is no rhyme or reason to it. If there was then we would ALL do the same thing to stop it and it would work.

I started losing some in the last month. I cut my hair really short and love it but that doesn't stop it from falling out. I get more than enough protein in my diet. What bothers me more than the loss is the change in texture. It feel rough! It's from lack of good nutrition.

It's kind of like chemo... no one know who's hair will fall out and who will keep their hair. Just go with the flow and find good ways that you can live with it. There are some great threads with some great suggestions on this site.

And no, not everyone loses hair. I haven't lost that much myself and I know others who have lost none. It is the luck of the draw if you ask me. But then, I also had the sleeve.

My surgeon told me that about 30% of patients have "appreciable" hair loss, but of course that didn't stop me from freaking out! I have a lot of thick, curly hair and it's one feature I like about myself.

My stylist suggested extensions, but it seems to me they would fall out if your hair was falling out, right?

I am praying someone on this site recommends a miracle that prevents hair loss!

My husband said to stop fretting and just buy a wig and be done with it, but I can't imagine dealing with a wig everday.

Has anyone NOT lost hair after surgery? I can't seem to find an example of that...

Our bodies reaction to the anesthesia also plays a role in the hair loss/change of texture. Everything you put into your system, finds its way out, including through the hair. So, if you're getting your protein and vitamins and still find yourself losing hair, consider the effect of anesthesia. I lost hair after my gallbladder was removed, pre-op, as well as with my tubaligation. The doctors warned me ahead of time. The good news is, it will stop! And it will come back. Mine is coming in nicely now, at a little over a year out. I notice new growth all over the place! I also haven't put any color or anything in my hair since surgery. I use a clarifying shampoo and conditioner by K-Pack. Just making sure all those toxins are good and gone before I add color. Hang in there, its a small price to pay!

i'm also very very worried about my hairloss.. since i've always been a big girl, i always tried to keep my hair long flowy and as healthy as possible.. now i wonder if i should cut it all off short before i start to loose it and it goes too weird... i dont know.. any suggestions to what to do? is it really 30%?? my doctor said that I WILL be loosing most of my hair...

any suggestions about good haircuts to deal with this? short is best??

any suggestions about good haircuts to deal with this? short is best??

I already have thin/fine hair without any surgery and my stylist generally emphasizes styles with lots of layers to add volume & depth. Also, unless there is very significant loss, darker hair colors tend to look fuller.

I'm a natural blonde, but I might go brown if I lose a lot of hair. I wonder if something like Rogaine for Women would work in this case, either to regrow hair or to keep the hair I've got?

I am just over 5 mos out and I am loosing a bit of hair over the last month, but nothing crazy. I only wash it 2 x wk, it is thick and not oily, so my stylist told me to wash it only when needed ages ago. I think this is helping me not loose so much hair. I comb my hair in the shower when conditioner is in it. I lose what I'd estimate to be about 20 strands, and then a little more after styling. Nothing noticable. I have taken Biotin capsules daily since surgery. If this is as bad as it gets I'll have no problem with it!

my doctor said I will probably lose hair because our bodies go into a shock after surgery and it makes every hair on our head turn to "adult hairs" and since adult hairs are always falling out and since our baby and teenage hairs changed it will take awhile for the new baby hairs to catch up. She said to make sure I take my vitamins and make sure I have at least 20 grams of fat otherwise it may cause it more problems

I am just over 5 mos out and I am loosing a bit of hair over the last month, but nothing crazy. I only wash it 2 x wk, it is thick and not oily, so my stylist told me to wash it only when needed ages ago. I think this is helping me not loose so much hair. I comb my hair in the shower when conditioner is in it. I lose what I'd estimate to be about 20 strands, and then a little more after styling. Nothing noticable. I have taken Biotin capsules daily since surgery. If this is as bad as it gets I'll have no problem with it!

Thanks for the info! I wash about 2x per week and condition 4x per week I have dry hair and psoriasis on my scalp, plus its thick and curly so if I overwash I have multiple issues... This might help with loss in the long run....

BTW! Great loss in 5 months!