John

Weight loss surgery comparison

36 posts in this topic

Here is an interesting article. It is not so much on malabsorption, but talks about how our metabolisms and genes are changed by surgery.... There is a link at the bottom that takes you to the peer reviewed journal for those who want to know where the claims come from :)

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/diabetes/art4005.html

link to peer reviewed info:

http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247%2813%2900125-3#Discussion

Edited by Becca52
Violetmortica likes this

Here is an interesting article. It is not so much on malabsorption, but talks about how our metabolisms and genes are changed by surgery.... There is a link at the bottom that takes you to the peer reviewed journal for those who want to know where the claims come from :)

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/diabetes/art4005.html

link to peer reviewed info:

http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/fulltext/S2211-1247%2813%2900125-3#Discussion

Becca, you legend 2 fabuloso articles how awesom we are change our genes as we lose weight its fantastic, thankyou so much for sharing :)

Becca52 likes this

My endo/surgeon both told me Roux en Y is the most successful surgery they do for diabetics, although the choice was mine. Since my reason for WLS in the first place was to stop the Diabetes I chose Roux en Y. I think there are so many factors to consider for each individual, there is no "One size fits all". No matter what surgery you decide, DO YOUR RESEARCH! It is life altering surgery and you want to be able to get the most success from it.

Jolls likes this

Thanks to everyone!  I have a laundry list of questions for the surgeon's nurse at my first one-on-one meeting tomorrow afternoon.  Here are my own personal pros/cons for each.

Bypass Pros:

1. Long term research

2. More weight loss

3. Decrease in cravings/tastes change

Bypass Cons:

1. Malabsorption

2. Scarier - in the sense that there appear to be more side effects and huge variables in those effects

Sleeve Pros:

1. Can continue to eat healthy proteins I enjoy

2. More "normal/flexible" diet allowed (I don't plan on sharing the fact I had bariatric surgery with many people). That being said, I plan on following the dietary guidelines provided for either option I end up with.

3. Not as many vitamins needed - already calcium, vitamin D, and iron deficient 

4. Part of the stomach that signals hunger to the brain is removed

5. Worst case scenario - can have bypass later is absolutely necessary

Sleeve Cons:

1. Not as much long term research

2. Less weight loss

3. Doesn't hold me as accountable (I guess this is just with sweets?)

John – I appreciate the link: http://www.thinnerti...comparison.html

It was helpful to see these options laid out side by side.  Hoping to join either the GB or VSG pre-op group soon!!

I just got this link to a surgery comparison "tool" in an email newsletter. I haven't looked at it in depth and I have no idea if it is unbiased, but thought I'd add it to this thread as another resource for comparing weight loss surgery options. If anyone uses it, please give us a little feedback on how valuable you found it... THANKS!!

http://www.realize.com/surgery-comparison

Great information. Thank You!

Thank you for sharing this..... I am so torn though. I talk to the surgeon and he says sleeve and yet I talk to most people on here and most had the RNY over the sleeve. I don't know what to do.....

Lexuskela- for what it's worth I was sleeved 6/27/14. Almost eleven months out I've lost 115 - 20 lbs below where they estimated I'd be - without an exercise routine (I know, I know - slap wrist!). Knock on wood there haven't been any negative side effects. For me, meeting with the surgeon determined my final choice. He prefers bypass for diabetics or people with more complications. For me, he thought the sleeve made the most sense & I've been thrilled. Feel free to pm me with questions. :)

MaggienScout and Lexuskela like this

Still finding it hard to decide between these but thanx for the info  :)

Still finding it hard to decide between these but thanx for the info  :)

In some ways it is simple - both the vertical sleeve and RNY gastric bypass have their own advantages and disadvantages.  Each of them can help you lose weight and get to your goal weight, and then maintain at your goal weight.  As an informed consumer you need to make the weight loss surgery choice that is best for you and your needs.  Note that sometimes this choice is mandated by your health insurance company or by your choice of surgeon (not in my case - BCBS of MA let me chose my surgery type, and my surgeon had lots of experience with both procedures).  Also, some people should only have one of these surgeries due to other medical conditions.

I will leave it to others to explain why they chose the vertical sleeve.  (I cannot image a good reason at this time to get a lap band as weight loss surgery; indeed most surgeons no longer perform the lap band surgery).

I chose gastric bypass for the following reasons (and have never regretted this choice;

1.  Gastric bypass surgery has a higher success rate than the vertical sleeve.  Quite frankly, if I am going to have weight loss surgery, then I want the most effective surgery.

2.  Gastric bypass has been performed for much longer than the vertical sleeve - so the side effects for gastric bypass are better known.

3.  Gastric bypass combines two separate weight loss methods into one surgery (small stomach pouch and malabsorption of calories), while the vertical sleeve has just one (small stomach pouch).  To me, more is better.

4.  Nothing is taken out of your body with the gastric bypass surgery, so that it can (in theory) be reversed - this is not true for the vertical sleeve.  More importantly, with gastric bypass (unlike with the vertical sleeve) you retain the rest of your stomach (besides your small pouch) in your body, so that in case of an ulcer or some other problem with your small pouch many years from now (which is not unusual) you will have spare and healthy stomach tissue inside you for a surgeon to use to make a new pouch.

5.  The people that I knew who had the gastric bypass lost all the weight that they needed to lose and got to their goal - not so with the vertical sleeve people that I know.

6.  The major downsides of gastric bypass - having to take vitamins the rest of my life, a longer surgical procedure, and facing the possibility of dumping - were acceptable risks to me.  Taking vitamins is no big deal (and since I buy them at CVS on sale, it is not a major expense), since I was knocked out for my surgery I did not care that it took longer to perform the surgery, and I only dump about once every six months.

I fully respect people who get the vertical sleeve, but I love my life with gastric bypass :)).

In some ways it is simple - both the vertical sleeve and RNY gastric bypass have their own advantages and disadvantages.  Each of them can help you lose weight and get to your goal weight, and then maintain at your goal weight.  As an informed consumer you need to make the weight loss surgery choice that is best for you and your needs.  Note that sometimes this choice is mandated by your health insurance company or by your choice of surgeon (not in my case - BCBS of MA let me chose my surgery type, and my surgeon had lots of experience with both procedures).  Also, some people should only have one of these surgeries due to other medical conditions.

I will leave it to others to explain why they chose the vertical sleeve.  (I cannot image a good reason at this time to get a lap band as weight loss surgery; indeed most surgeons no longer perform the lap band surgery).

I chose gastric bypass for the following reasons (and have never regretted this choice;

1.  Gastric bypass surgery has a higher success rate than the vertical sleeve.  Quite frankly, if I am going to have weight loss surgery, then I want the most effective surgery.

2.  Gastric bypass has been performed for much longer than the vertical sleeve - so the side effects for gastric bypass are better known.

3.  Gastric bypass combines two separate weight loss methods into one surgery (small stomach pouch and malabsorption of calories), while the vertical sleeve has just one (small stomach pouch).  To me, more is better.

4.  Nothing is taken out of your body with the gastric bypass surgery, so that it can (in theory) be reversed - this is not true for the vertical sleeve.  More importantly, with gastric bypass (unlike with the vertical sleeve) you retain the rest of your stomach (besides your small pouch) in your body, so that in case of an ulcer or some other problem with your small pouch many years from now (which is not unusual) you will have spare and healthy stomach tissue inside you for a surgeon to use to make a new pouch.

5.  The people that I knew who had the gastric bypass lost all the weight that they needed to lose and got to their goal - not so with the vertical sleeve people that I know.

6.  The major downsides of gastric bypass - having to take vitamins the rest of my life, a longer surgical procedure, and facing the possibility of dumping - were acceptable risks to me.  Taking vitamins is no big deal (and since I buy them at CVS on sale, it is not a major expense), since I was knocked out for my surgery I did not care that it took longer to perform the surgery, and I only dump about once every six months.

I fully respect people who get the vertical sleeve, but I love my life with gastric bypass :)).

extremely well put.