John

Weight loss surgery comparison

36 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting that. It was very interesting. There is always such controversy over which surgery to choose and it is nice to see some scietific studies rather than advertisements for procedures.

If my insurance will pay for it, I want the vertical sleeve. I am a lifelong gastro patient, and I have a stomach full of scar tissue. The sleeve was originally developed for people like me, and if I can get both stomach relief and weight loss, then I am batting 100 or more:)

Pretty much no one does the Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD) alone any longer. Too many problems. It's generally only done only with the Duodenal Switch.

Thanks for the clarification, as a newbie it is all quite confusing and the first question is usually, what is available and what are the differences, this helped me tremendously.

Christmaspenquins likes this

Thanks for posting that. It was very interesting. There is always such controversy over which surgery to choose and it is nice to see some scietific studies rather than advertisements for procedures.

Sometimes what we want isn't the right choice for us, or the insurance companies dictate what will be.

We can plan and dream. at least.

Pretty much no one does the Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD) alone any longer. Too many problems. It's generally only done only with the Duodenal Switch.

A dear friend had those procedures in 1980 and went from 435 to 135. The only lingering bummer is diahrrea and a lot of gas. She feels great and looks marvelous. I have been wanting WLS since 1980.

Hene1971 and la.craig like this

Really good and interesting post to read. It is a study which is base on science and help to choose surgery for ourselves.

Thanks for sharing information that provides an overview of the differences between surgical weight loss options. I think the best way to learn about the differences between weight loss surgeries is to attend a weight loss surgery information seminar, hosted by a trained surgeon at a bariatric clinic.

Thanks for sharing information that provides an overview of the differences between surgical weight loss options. I think the best way to learn about the differences between weight loss surgeries is to attend a weight loss surgery information seminar, hosted by a trained surgeon at a bariatric clinic.

That and pulling up a chair and reading all you can on this forum.

Gina171 likes this

I am attending the seminar tomorrow. Why I had to wait a month just for this first appointment I have no idea, but it's torture to wait! I have also been scouring through these posts and feel pretty well informed already. I am leaning toward the GB, but will keep an open mind tomorrow. This topic was very helpful as well.

Overweight men and women who choose weight-loss surgery is often considered as best and safest option for long-term weight loss. More than 95 percent of patients undergo surgery for weight loss lose between 50 and 70 percent of their excess weight and many are able to obtain their ideal body weight, often for the first time in their lives.

la.craig likes this

I have my educational seminar on the 18th, and I am leaning towards the GB as well... I want the best results possible and that seems to be the one... I know none of it will be a walk in the park, but I am ready for the challenge!

amybeth911 likes this

Thx for the info

I have been looking for a side by side comparison, which is very hard to found on your mobile. Thank you!

This is an interesting post but I don't see why it does not list the gastric bypass under "malabsorption." Gastric By-pass RNY (which is what I had) also involves removal of a portion of the small intestine causing some malabsorption.

They don't remove any part of the intestine. They just re-route it, but it's re-routed in a different place than the duodenal switch, thus causing less malabsorptive problems. But yes, we still need to make sure we're getting enough vitamins absorbed.

My surgeon refuses to perform the duodenal switch surgery. He said it's a "slow death".

I'm still having a hard time finding straight forward comparisons of the pros/cons of the traditional gastric bypass and the sleeve.  It sounds like the sleeve is slightly less invasive but also may not be as effective.  Where can I find current information on this?  I've found a few threads, but they are a couple years old.

For the most current information I would call the hospital/bariatric center near you and see if you can attend an information session. This way you can ask questions too.

Are there specific criteria that doctors to look for to determine which procedure is best for different people? What are some of the determining factors?

Gina171 likes this

So I am going to have gastric bypass (RNY) surgery... but when you look at this chart it does not list it under Malabsorbtion, yet my surgeon talks about the Malabsorbtion portion of it all the time... What am I missing? Thanks!

Violetmortica likes this

I'm leaning towards sleeve, but still open to RNY. Just going to talk to my surgeon directly with all my different questions/concerns, to make the final choice.

Wow , this is another document stating that a Bypass works by simply reducing Ghrelin therefore quick saiety, and reduced food intake, and weight loss is achieved simply thus by reduced calorie intake, if this were the case, then why not just give a small pouch to everyone without a bypass if its is just bassed on intake. Its really a debatable topic, and if it were true, then I suggest every surgical advertisment/college and univeristy and hospital change there information as it is miss leading to all.

To my knowlege a Bypass of the small intestine will result in less calories absorbed ! please prove me wrong I would like more information , other wise everyone should just get a sleeve.......

Wow , this is another document stating that a Bypass works by simply reducing Ghrelin therefore quick saiety, and reduced food intake, and weight loss is achieved simply thus by reduced calorie intake, if this were the case, then why not just give a small pouch to everyone without a bypass if its is just bassed on intake. Its really a debatable topic, and if it were true, then I suggest every surgical advertisment/college and univeristy and hospital change there information as it is miss leading to all.

To my knowlege a Bypass of the small intestine will result in less calories absorbed ! please prove me wrong I would like more information , other wise everyone should just get a sleeve.......

(This taken from your own extract), so your information can be very confusing to people, The second step is the bypass. Your surgeon will connect a small part of your small intestine (the jejunum) to a small hole in your pouch. The food you eat will now travel from the pouch into this new opening into your small intestine. Because of this, your body will absorb fewer calories.