7 replies to this topic

#1 Mamacita

Mamacita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH...Just moved back from Panama
  • Surgeon:Dr. Trace Curry
  • Hospital:Jewish Hospital (Cincinnati, OH)
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:251
  • Current Weight:145
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):26.2
  • Surgery Date:09/14/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

Well, tonight is the first time since surgery I've been to Frischs.......and will probably be the last:(
I ordered the salad bar and all I could eat was cottage cheese with bacon bits and the broth from the chicken noodle soup. I ate all one serving spoon full of the cottage cheese, one slurp of the soup and that was it! I felt like I wasted my money...
Live and learn....you just don't know how things will go at a restaurant till you try, right?

Carmen's Cancer Crusade

HW/DOS/CUR/GOAL
251/223/135/140

BMI DOS: 41.1
BMI Today: 23.2

"A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step" Chinese philosopher Laozi

#2 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

You're barely a month out... you won't be able to tell how a restaurant will go long term till you're fully healed and eating real food.

I dunno what a frisch's is, so I looked.. it appears it's a big boy type restaurant. I looked at the menu and though not fabulous.. there are quite a few things I could eat now, that I couldn't even think of touching at 4 weeks out (I was just barely on mushies at that stage)

If I were eating there today I'd choose from any of the wraps- chicken or turkey... hot open faced roast beef or chicken minus the bread...burger, no bun..grilled chicken dinner.. (if you like fish- grilled salmon).. soup, chili...

(If I were you, I honestly would just stay away from the salad bar for now... raw veggies are really tough on a new pouch)

Just give yourself time..

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#3 Mamacita

Mamacita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

You're right, Frisch's is a Big Boy restaurant. I saw quite a few healthier choices in the menu, but like you said, I can't eat that just yet. I was cleared for semi-solid foods this week at my appt. even toasted bread! (the sticks and twigs type of bread). My NUT said I can venture out as long as I watch my sugars carbs and fats....and choose protein first.
I explained to the waitress my "special" diet circumstances, and asked if I could order a childs salad bar.....she said that she couldn't do that. But, come to my surprise when I got the bill, she charged me for the price of a salad bar when you add it to a meal (2.35), when the adult salad bar cost 6.99. I was relieved to see that my little scoop of cottage cheese didn't cost me 6.99.....although 2.35 is too much to pay too, especially whe I have a whole container at home in the fridge ;) she must have had a change of mind when she saw that I was not pulling her leg, and that I really ONLY could eat just a few oz. of food. I would have never thought of going to this restaurant during this stage of pre-op, but my kids very rarely eat there and wanted to go for a treat. My poor 11 year-old kept telling me that she was sorry.....she felt bad for me, and bad for talking me into taking them there. I reassured her that I was just fine, and sometimes walking into a restaurant post -op can be good or bad....you just don't know till you try :) I think that made her feel better.

Carmen's Cancer Crusade

HW/DOS/CUR/GOAL
251/223/135/140

"A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step" Chinese philosopher Laozi

#4 MaraJayne

MaraJayne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationWinchester, VA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Glembot
  • Hospital:Winchester Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:313
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):28.0
  • Surgery Date:09/09/2010

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:11 AM

My surgeon actually gave me a card that explains the procedure I had and requests that businesses allow me to eat off the childs menu. I have gone out a few times, but I either order something to share with my boyfriend, OR I order something and take the leftovers home. One meal generally feeds me for 3-4 meals!
Mara Jayne

Posted Image

313/288/166.6/160
High/Pre-S/Current/Goal

Posted Image

#5 goingtobethinin2010

goingtobethinin2010

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • Surgeon:dr chistian mann
  • Hospital:nash surgical center
  • Height (ft-in):5-07
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:147
  • Goal Weight:155
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):44
  • Surgery Date:04/28/2010

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

I also received a card from my surgeon's office and have used it to order off the kids meal. I usually split a meal with the hubby he has also had surgery so 1 regular meal feeds one of us 3 times and the other 2 times. Now thats a vallue. Michelle

#6 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:05 AM

The card brings up a lot of different opinions here on the forum....sometimes that topic gets........ boisterous to put it mildly.

My personal opinion is 1) it is none of any of their business my medical health and I'll be darned if I share it with just anyone and 2) I did not ask to pay more when I was scarfing down plates of food enough for two so I will not ask to pay less now. When I go to a buffet (we're going to one now for a going away party- a buffet brunch...) I go by the feeling I'm paying for a) the company and 2) the VARIETY and NOT the quantity.

Anyway.. that's my feeling..

Mamacita... just give yourself time and you'll eventually be able to try a bigger variety.. Its a rare one that does not.

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#7 Mamacita

Mamacita

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Thanks ;)...I know I need to take it easy, sometimes it can be quite the challenge when EVERYTHING looks so good :D

MaraJayne - that's part of the fun of being a "cheap" date. Although the big boy restaurant wasn't the best for this stage post-op. I can usually order menu items from other restaurants and eat off of it for 3 days B)

Carmen's Cancer Crusade

HW/DOS/CUR/GOAL
251/223/135/140

#8 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

We did our brunch buffet 'going away' party today.. I had a tablespoon of egg, 1/2 a piece of french toast (no butter and I put the syrup on the side and just lightly dipped my fork in it)... 2 strips bacon, 1 sausage (both set upon a paper napkin to absorb any possible grease)...and 1/2 a tablespoon of hash browns.

I was satisfied with that, but about an hour later- hungry- was wishing I'd taken more egg! I didn't like how they looked though.

AFTER I served my food I found out they made omelettes to order.. I was wishing I'd had them make me a fresh 1-egg omelette instead. If we go again, I'll do that. It was kind of pricey but included a tram ride to the top of the mountain... which was covered in snow and ice. BRRR lol.