#1 trinket

trinket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:00 AM

Hi all

I was 3 years out 3 days ago and am 3 lbs from my original goal. Not bad at all as I have lost 100lbs and am a thin person now (all that training at hiding the extra pounds was not wasted!).

Don't post here much but do keep an eye out for general support. I think those who post are doing us 'lurkers' a massive favour and I, for one, am really grateful. I would post more often but can't get into the 'praising' thing too much. I do understand the importance of encouragement but find the 'way to go' and 'you look fantastic' part a bit too much for me. I suspect might be due to being British and being a bit of a straight talker all rolled up...

Anyway, I do want to be as useful and as honest as I can be to help others so here's a quick summary of the past 3 years:

Year 1 - lost 89lbs and reached 154lbs
Year 2 - stayed more or less at 154lbs all year
Year 3 - March -June this year went up to 168lbs (due to chewy fruit sweet
addiction) but replaced with sugar free gum and have lost
25lbs hence at 143lbs now

I have seriously changed my relationship with crap food and nicotine over the past 3 years having given up both together since the op.

And...

I have never been to the gym and do not 'exercise'. I stick to a 1000 calories a day to sustain (and 750 calories a day when I want to lose)

The restriction is still working a bit & still dump if I really overdo bread or sugar

I have never taken vitamins or vitamin shots.

I have never had bloods done.

In fact I have never been to any Dr since my op back on 1st Oct 07. My local Dr doesn't even know about my surgery as I had it all done privately and abroad from start to finish...so not even on my records here in the UK.

No-one knows about my surgery except my hubby, my mother and anonymous person on phone when I updated my life insurance.

I do carry a 'RNY Gastric Bypass' card (with diagram etc) in my bag in case of emergencies...

Only side effects seem to be that I'm bloody freezing all the time, sometimes get cramp in my feet and still consider myself a fat person (but know that I'm not...weird)

I go to the 'toilet' (if you know what I mean...) regularly twice a week - sorry to raise but best to cover this..

Marriage great, Sex life great, Kids happy (and not fat), Career doing very well

Got used to the general bitchy 'looks' from some females (thin women tend to trust fat women more... I would conclude).

Next goal - get to 130 lbs by 2012 - year of my 'Olympic' tummy tuck, fingers crossed.

I am not encouraging my approach as I know I should probably go for a check up....but just letting you know my story.

I know I've done really well to sustain the weight loss and I that I look pretty amazing, he, he.;)

Thank you again for all those who contribute to the site: it has helped me and others like me tremendously.

See you next October!
Cheers!
Trinket

Lap RNY - 1st October 2007

Age-46
height-5ft 5"
Surgery/Current/Goal
243lbs/ 143lbs /140lbs - OMG REACHED GOAL!!!!!

#2 ncblueyes

ncblueyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:141
  • Goal Weight:137
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25
  • Surgery Date:09/13/2010

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

THANK YOU !!! Great post and great information......Love hearing about your experience! Congratulations on a job well done and done your way!

Best wishes !
Start/DOS/Current/Goal
270/242/146/137

*1 month - 10/13/10 - 14 pounds *2 months -11/13/10 - 18 pounds *3 months -12/13/10 - 12 pounds
*4 months - 1/13/11 - 9 pounds *5 months - 2/13/11 - 7 pounds *6 months - 3/13/11 - 8 pounds
*7 months - 4/13/11 - 8 pounds *8 months - 5/13/11 - 2 pounds *9 months - 6/13/11 - 2 pounds
*11 months - 8/13/11 - 4 pounds * 12 monyhs = 0!!
Total Lost = 126
I MADE MY GOAL ON 8.8.11! CENTURY CLUB on 4.10.11! REVISED GOAL - 137

#3 Pink Stella

Pink Stella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Start Weight:311
  • Current Weight:176
  • Goal Weight:159
  • Surgery Date:01/19/2010

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

Well, you're not going to get a "way to go" post from me. I think you're being horrifically careless with your life and health. My father had bypass and never took vitamins or did any after care. He's lost his eyesight to a severe vitamin deficiency, his liver and kidneys are failing, and his quality of life is poor, all due in large part to his unwillingness to take part in his own health care - check ups and supplements are not hard, I don't care what you say. Sorry, but I don't see that you've been success at all; it seems like you've just traded one version of self destruction for another. I cannot comprehend what value you think you're gaining by not telling your physician the true story of your health...you're only setting yourself up for disaster and, long-term, putting your family in a bad way, too.
Lap RNY - 1/19/10

Height - 5' 7"
highest - 345ish
start - 311
day of surgery - 288
current -176.8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Go Blue Gal

Go Blue Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Hospital:University of Micigan
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:251
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.8
  • Surgery Date:02/22/2010

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:32 AM

I have yet to post a negitative post here but I have to agree you will not get kudos from me. You are a bad example of a WLS patient.... I truly hope you realize how you are jepordizing your health, you may not notice your deficiences now...... what you do/don't do now will be a result of what happens to your health later in life...
~Debbie~

ONEDERLAND 5/31/2010 :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

100 Pounds lost as of 12/24/10

Size 22 to Size 6 pants.....

#5 trinket

trinket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Just being honest but thanks for the advice. Like I said I am grateful for anyone who posts about their experience....it'll all help someone, somewhere. But I seriously hope I'm not on the path of total self-obliteration due to some secret self-loathing though because I was actually planning on adding 20 years onto my life with this surgery! I want a refund - now!:)

Edited by trinket, 08 October 2010 - 11:16 PM.

Cheers!
Trinket

Age-46
height-5ft 5"
Surgery/Current/Goal

#6 ansley

ansley

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Surgeon:GOROSPE
  • Hospital:Muskogee
  • Start Weight:225
  • Current Weight:1
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):19
  • Surgery Date:03/02/2010

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

Sounds like you are really happy! I love hearing from people that are further out. You need to take your vitamins though! Its never to late! Start today! :)

#7 ardita

ardita

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Start Weight:217
  • Current Weight:161
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.4
  • Surgery Date:04/29/2009
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:27 AM

Is there a particular reason why you have not gone for any blood tests or follow up? While all seems to be going well, you do put yourself at risk of serious problems. I know you know that but am curious why, knowing that, you still don't do anything about it. I do appreciate you posting and sharing your story. Every story is one to learn from.

Inspiration from TT friends:

Alleusion: "YOUR best may not be MY best."

SweetP: "Be grateful for what you have; not ungrateful for what you don't have."

Kantonucci: "I refuse to dig my own grave with my knife and fork."

LisaM: "When I was sated emotionally, I was no longer starving physically.... Find out what you're really hungry for... It may not be food."

Cynthia:"There is never a mistake too big to change, never a misstep that cannot be corrected, and there is never a wrong time to start over."

(and someone had a great quote about not letting immediate gratification derail long term goals-but I cant remember who or exactly the wording. It was good, though...)

BMI=27.4. Just overweight. It's happening!

#8 kantonucci

kantonucci

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Kreitz
  • Hospital:University of Pennsylvania
  • Start Weight:289
  • Current Weight:180
  • Goal Weight:170
  • Surgery Date:12/15/2009

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:49 AM

The only thing I would ask is how do you know you are completely healthy if you're not being monitored? Do you know that your vitamin levels are normal? Even if you don't see your surgeon you should at least have your Primary Doctor keep an eye on it.

Congratulations to you for maintaining and best of luck to you in the future.

I refuse to dig my grave with my own knife and fork

Kelly

Surgery/Current/Goal

289/180/175 (May seem high, but I'm 5'10")

#9 Gina in NY

Gina in NY

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Height (ft-in):5-02
  • Start Weight:288
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Surgery Date:06/20/2006

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

I have yet to post a negitative post here but I have to agree you will not get kudos from me. You are a bad example of a WLS patient.... I truly hope you realize how you are jepordizing your health, you may not notice your deficiences now...... what you do/don't do now will be a result of what happens to your health later in life...

Eh - I take vitamins and check my iron when I give blood, but I too feel great, my surgeon dismissed me after my third annual visit and said - you're fine. Have a good life. Call if you need to.

I'm fine. If I have a cold, I go to the regular doctor - it isn't that pressing that I had this surgery 4 years ago. Life is pretty normal. No need to get dramatic. For that matter, my partner doesn't do any of the supplements etc. either and he's in perfect health. The surgery did it's work for us. We're perfectly well, absorbing nutrients, feeling great, running, biking etc. When I did get sick a while ago, since I live in a high Lyme disease area, they did a full blood work up, it was all perfect. (Apparently if you don't sleep for more than 3 hours a day for two weeks you feel bad...who'd have thought?)

My body doesn't seem to know I had the surgery. We all do what works for us.;) you will too - whatever that is.
TT Gym rat club member #5

#10 katzz87

katzz87

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Laura Machado
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:294
  • Current Weight:194
  • Surgery Date:01-14-2008

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

..... Life is pretty normal. No need to get dramatic. For that matter, my partner doesn't do any of the supplements etc. either and he's in perfect health. The surgery did it's work for us. We're perfectly well, absorbing nutrients, feeling great, running, biking etc....

My body doesn't seem to know I had the surgery. We all do what works for us.;) you will too - whatever that is.

My life is pretty normal...and normal for me is taking my vitamins and supplements as requested by my surgeon; so I totally disagree with the "no need to get dramatic" statement.

Cathy

#11 Gina in NY

Gina in NY

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

My life is pretty normal...and normal for me is taking my vitamins and supplements as requested by my surgeon; so I totally disagree with the "no need to get dramatic" statement.

You do what works for you - did I disagree with taking vitamins? I'm just saying that if you don't agree, it is a little more reasonable, not to mention charitable, to say, "Wow - I'd be way too worried to not get my blood monitored! Doesn't that make you nervous?" As opposed to "My way is right and your're a bad GBP patient."

Perhaps rather than dramatic it would have been more accurate to say "Judgemental." There is not right or wrong here, only right or wrong for you. Everyone is different and if someone is successful doing something different than what you do, it doesn't threaten your way. There is no need to condemn someone who is obviously successful because she found another way than yours. (And of course not everyone did) If she suffers a health set-back, she will have to deal with it.

Showing concern for the OP is one thing - but obviously, some have turned to attack - not helpful to anyone. I was just throwing my two cents in to defend the obviously very successful OP. Most GBP patients gain back a significant amount of their weight so clearly, she's doing something right.

Again - no worries here. We're all different.

#12 ardita

ardita

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Start Weight:217
  • Current Weight:161
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.4
  • Surgery Date:04/29/2009
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

Hey Trinket-you've created a stir here. Are you around...? Hope you are doing well. We'll hear from you in October if you don't chime in before.

Inspiration from TT friends:

Alleusion: "YOUR best may not be MY best."

SweetP: "Be grateful for what you have; not ungrateful for what you don't have."

Kantonucci: "I refuse to dig my own grave with my knife and fork."

LisaM: "When I was sated emotionally, I was no longer starving physically.... Find out what you're really hungry for... It may not be food."

Cynthia:"There is never a mistake too big to change, never a misstep that cannot be corrected, and there is never a wrong time to start over."

(and someone had a great quote about not letting immediate gratification derail long term goals-but I cant remember who or exactly the wording. It was good, though...)

BMI=27.4. Just overweight. It's happening!

#13 trinket

trinket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi all

Just let you know that I went to the doctors! I just had to find out about these cramps...

I didn't tell him that I had a bypass. Just told him that I had lost 100lbs since I last visited over 3 years ago (to get nicotine replacement patches when I gave up smoking which is true) and that I had been on a super uber diet since July this year and had lost a lot of weight and was getting cramps in my legs. I told him that I was taking in very few calories everyday and that I needed a full check up/blood tests to make sure I wasn't doing any damage to myself. He took my blood pressure - all normal. He signed a form for me to go to the hospital for a full blood test the following week - I made sure he ticked all the boxes on the form and that I was going to get checked for all deficiencies including diabetes/thyroid/liver function and vitamin deficiency etc. It was one of those tests where you have to fast from the evening before.

I fasted.
I went for the test.
I waited for the results.
They came.
All normal.

I knew it! Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. I've always been a healthy sort - hence not going to the doctors unless I'm having a baby, actually need help or am VERY ill. God knows what the bl**dy cramps are about?? Just one of those inexplicable ailments (getting old ;)). Anyway, who cares about cramps now!! I'm just soooo grateful to be slim and healthy. Roll on the rest of my life!:)

Hope this post helps someone, somewhere. x

Edited by trinket, 25 November 2010 - 07:22 AM.

Cheers!
Trinket

Age-46
height-5ft 5"
Surgery/Current/Goal

#14 Gina in NY

Gina in NY

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

Hi all

Just let you know that I went to the doctors! I just had to find out about these cramps...

I didn't tell him that I had a bypass. Just told him that I had lost 100lbs since I last visited over 3 years ago (to get nicotine replacement patches when I gave up smoking which is true) and that I had been on a super uber diet since July this year and had lost a lot of weight and was getting cramps in my legs. I told him that I was taking in very few calories everyday and that I needed a full check up/blood tests to make sure I wasn't doing any damage to myself. He took my blood pressure - all normal. He signed a form for me to go to the hospital for a full blood test the following week - I made sure he ticked all the boxes on the form and that I was going to get checked for all deficiencies including diabetes/thyroid/liver function and vitamin deficiency etc. It was one of those tests where you have to fast from the evening before.

I fasted.
I went for the test.
I waited for the results.
They came.
All normal.

I knew it! Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones. I've always been a healthy sort - hence not going to the doctors unless I'm having a baby, actually need help or am VERY ill. God knows what the bl**dy cramps are about?? Just one of those inexplicable ailments (getting old ;)). Anyway, who cares about cramps now!! I'm just soooo grateful to be slim and healthy. Roll on the rest of my life!:)

Hope this post helps someone, somewhere. x

Glad to hear all is well. We are the lucky ones I know. I really was hoping I had a deficiency when I went in and they tested me for lyme, but alas, it was just that not sleeping more than 3-4 hours a night that got me. Imagine! I suspect it is no longer being 20 that is really cramping my style.;)

Some of us incredibly blessed folks have the luxury of simply listening to our bodies to tell if something is wrong. Not for everyone (before anyone jumps down my throat) but many, many, many of the people who do not post anymore have found the same thing.

Do look for a bit more about the leg thing. Are you sitting in some weird position? New tighter pants? Too much sex? LOL!:eek:

All my best.
G

#15 trinket

trinket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:02 AM

Cheers! We are truly blessed and I thank my lucky stars every day (and 'touch wood' .....a lot!). Now I have to seriously rethink the 4" heels I am never out of. Back to 3" for me for a while as hardly any cramps when I was wearing those.....dilemmas, dilemmas:rolleyes:

Good luck to one and all! X
Cheers!
Trinket

Age-46
height-5ft 5"
Surgery/Current/Goal

#16 Fl Girl

Fl Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Kim
  • Hospital:Celebration
  • Start Weight:264
  • Current Weight:142
  • Surgery Date:07/27/2010

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thanks to all of you and your honest posts.....once again I'm here to learn and share....not to judge.

I just watched a "Dr Oz" show on TV and he mentioned the 4 vits all women should take....Multi, D, Calcium, and Fish Oil. Pre-op I knew I should take vits but didnt really pay attention to it, now 4 mos PO....I'm way more concerned.

What I dont fully understand (just one of the things, btw) is that if our bodies no longer malabsorb food a year or so PO, why would they malabsorb vits.....it doesnt make sense to me.....maybe this would be a good post to throw that it.

Good work Trinket and Gina for keeping your weight off.

Pre-op Weight 264

Date of Surgery 236

Over 100 lbs gone...cant believe it!

#17 Pink Stella

Pink Stella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Start Weight:311
  • Current Weight:176
  • Goal Weight:159
  • Surgery Date:01/19/2010

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

What I dont fully understand (just one of the things, btw) is that if our bodies no longer malabsorb food a year or so PO, why would they malabsorb vits.....it doesnt make sense to me.....maybe this would be a good post to throw that it.

My sister is a nurse and she said the same thing just the other day. Bariatrics is not her specialty, so she admits that perhaps there's something she doesn't know about, but she thought it odd as well. From what I understand, the little hairs that grow inside your intestines will eventually grow back, which is why we stop malabsorbing calories. I don't know how it works with the nutrients, though.
Lap RNY - 1/19/10

Height - 5' 7"
highest - 345ish
start - 311
day of surgery - 288
current -176.8
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 Fl Girl

Fl Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Kim
  • Hospital:Celebration
  • Start Weight:264
  • Current Weight:142
  • Surgery Date:07/27/2010

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

My sister is a nurse and she said the same thing just the other day. Bariatrics is not her specialty, so she admits that perhaps there's something she doesn't know about, but she thought it odd as well. From what I understand, the little hairs that grow inside your intestines will eventually grow back, which is why we stop malabsorbing calories. I don't know how it works with the nutrients, though.

I know, I cant understand how the body will absorb all of the calories from the food but not the nutrients?????? Just doesnt make sense. And even if the little hairs grow back, there is still a shorter lenght of intestines????

Just like drinking will flush the food out of the pouch. So if we are allowed to drink 1/2 to 1 hr after a meal, that means the food only stays in the pouch for 1 hr then.....so will we get hungry once the pouch empties????? Again, just doesnt seem to add up

I'm one of those people who always has to analyse everything.

Pre-op Weight 264

Date of Surgery 236

Over 100 lbs gone...cant believe it!

#19 Claire-in-Texas

Claire-in-Texas

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Central Texas
  • Height (ft-in):4-10
  • Start Weight:236
  • Current Weight:104
  • Goal Weight:126
  • Surgery Date:04/09/2007

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

I am always so glad when people get back normal blood work post op. I do believe that since gastric bypass is famous for vitamin deficiency, it's probably a good idea to keep up with blood work for several years. I take a multi vitamin, cranberry extract in capsule form (because of previous urinary tract infections, which I no longer get) and calcium, have my blood work done annually (along with mammogram, etc.), and just keep up on things. It is good to get to know your body, and we are all different and sometimes we just instinctively know what is best for us.

Trinket, I'm personally glad you got checked, and glad that your body is responding so well. Now you know! :)

#20 Xoch

Xoch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr.Pablo Zorrilla
  • Hospital:Hospital Universitario
  • Start Weight:330
  • Current Weight:218
  • Goal Weight:132
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):39
  • Surgery Date:02/25/2011

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hey, I asked my doctor about this (i'm preop, btw) and he told me that it's because the duodenum, that initial bit of the small intestine that is bypassed) is the one that does most of the vitamin absorption. HOwever, he says that some people don't really NEED extra vitamins two years after the surgery, but it never hurts.

Also, there was a recent article in the NY Times saying that the very high levels of Vit D and calcium recommended by docs and only acheivable with supplements are unnecessary and could even harm you. http://www.nytimes.c.../30vitamin.html

Of course, they're talking about people without GBS, but it is food for thought. I for one never worried about vitamin D since I get a lot of sun, and my doctor also told me that I don't need calcium right now (I'm 28). He did say women need to supplement more than men and that I would need iron, and I already do that since I get very heavy periods. Anyway, just my .02. Everyone's different

Posted Image