Photo
- - - - -

Abdominal pain/between bottom of rib cage.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 michiganangel1972

michiganangel1972

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Byrne
  • Hospital:MUSC
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:174
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:03/19/2010

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Forgive me if I have not posted this in the correct place. I had GBP on March 19, 2010 and around a week ago, I began to have moderate pain in between my rib cage near my sternum. I went to the ER and spent 5 hours there. They took urine, blood and did a CT scan and could not find anything. They sent me home with nothing. I then scheduled an appointment with my family doctor's after clinic staff that same day and could not find the cause of my pain. I do not suffer from heartburn and my bowels are moving fine. I can eat and drink normally; however, my appetite has decreased due to the pain. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what else to do or what it could be. I have mild nausea but no vomiting or diarrahea. Any sugguestions on what could be causing me so much pain?

Highest/280
Pre-surgery/256
Current/220
Goal/135

#2 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 29,162 posts
  • LocationWA
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

I'm not a doctor but did they check your gallbladder?

My weight loss surgery got me to my goal weight and I'm proud to share my story.

It's the only way I know of eliminating the prejudice that surrounds bariatric surgery.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#3 michiganangel1972

michiganangel1972

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Byrne
  • Hospital:MUSC
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:174
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Surgery Date:03/19/2010

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

I had my gall bladder removed in 1993. I'm just at a lose of what could be causing this pain. I'm frustated, as well, because I'm in pain.

Highest/280
Pre-surgery/256
Current/220
Goal/135

#4 cinwa

cinwa

Senior Community Leader

• Community Leader
  • 29,162 posts
  • LocationWA
  • Height (ft-in):5-05
  • Current Weight:125
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.8
  • Surgery Date:09/24/2007

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

If the pain continues or gets worse, you have to go back to ER sweetheart.

My weight loss surgery got me to my goal weight and I'm proud to share my story.

It's the only way I know of eliminating the prejudice that surrounds bariatric surgery.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up".

~*♥*~ Thomas Edison ~*♥*~

#5 LadyMantha

LadyMantha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. White
  • Hospital:Alegent Health
  • Current Weight:238
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):46.3
  • Surgery Date:09/08/2010

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

Forgive me if I have not posted this in the correct place. I had GBP on March 19, 2010 and around a week ago, I began to have moderate pain in between my rib cage near my sternum. I went to the ER and spent 5 hours there. They took urine, blood and did a CT scan and could not find anything. They sent me home with nothing. I then scheduled an appointment with my family doctor's after clinic staff that same day and could not find the cause of my pain. I do not suffer from heartburn and my bowels are moving fine. I can eat and drink normally; however, my appetite has decreased due to the pain. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what else to do or what it could be. I have mild nausea but no vomiting or diarrahea. Any sugguestions on what could be causing me so much pain?

I would actually go to your surgeons office, or call your surgeons PA and ask them about it. Possibly a hernia near your esophagus. Thats what I had and it was similar to what you are explaining. It wouldnt show in blood results and urine and ct scans. Good luck and keep us posted!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man--but coaxed downstairs a step at a time. ~ Mark Twain*

#6 Pookie89

Pookie89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationPhoenix
  • Surgeon:Fang
  • Hospital:St. Lukes
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:282
  • Current Weight:198
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33
  • Surgery Date:12/14/2010

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

I have heard that a CT is not necessarily enough to detect a problem and you should request an Upper GI. I also agree that you should contact your surgeon.

#7 LadyMantha

LadyMantha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. White
  • Hospital:Alegent Health
  • Current Weight:238
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):46.3
  • Surgery Date:09/08/2010

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

I just had a thought, however, im sure if it concerns you with this specific thing....but could it just be air? i still had horrible pain a week afterwards, it was more near my shoulder, but they told me it was air from the surgery that usually goes away after a while but also helps if you put warm towels on the area. It helped a lot!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man--but coaxed downstairs a step at a time. ~ Mark Twain*