• 395 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Scott Watson
  • Start Weight:221
  • Current Weight:142
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.2
  • Surgery Date:03/01/2010

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

I've been having periods of dizziness and my head "swimming" off and on since my surgery and I've read here that alot of people do....so I haven't given it much thought. Lately, it has gotten worse. So I began checking my blood pressure off an on. It's been pretty low. Typically around 80/55 but going up to around 90/60 and as low as 75/50. I brought it up at my doctor's appointment a couple weeks ago and he assured me that was fine. He also told me that my hair shouldn't be falling out so early, unless my selenium level was very low and in all his 6000 patients he'd only had ONE that had low selenium. I was 6 months post op at that point and he said he usually doesn't see hair falling out until around 9-10 months post op...and that I probably wasn't getting enough protein. I told him I was getting the 70 g per day the nutritionist recommended.... so he told me to double it. Gah. Based on that, I don't know if I should just trust what he says (I know many here would say NO to that!)...and I tend to agree. Is low blood pressure common after WLS? How low is too low? Should I get a "second opinion"?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Highest Weight: 240 lbs.
Weight at initial consult appt. (Oct. 09): 221 lbs.
Surgery date: 3/01/10 - Weight 210 lbs.
2 months after 4/29/10 - 176 lbs.
4 months after 7/01/10 - 160 lbs.
6 months after 8/31/10 - 149 lbs.
8 months after 11/01/10 - 144 lbs.
Total lost 77 lbs. 9 to go!
Goal weight: 135 lbs.

NORMAL BMI AS OF 10/02/2010!!!!

#2 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

Low blood pressure is somewhat common... I know I have had a few occasions where that was a problem. There are others here with that problem..they were told to up their salt but I'd check with the doctor on that.. (if you're concerned, then it's always a good idea to get a second opinion)

As for the hair.. it is usually growing back by the 9th month or so..the loss appears to start around the 3 month mark for most people, if they're going to lose it.. This is what I was told by my surgeon, nut and from what I've seen in the 2.5+ years here.. seems pretty normal.

I wouldn't worry about the extra protein unless you tend towards kidney problems. I am not sure that doubling it is going to do much for the hairloss.. it takes about 3 months to affect changes at which point you should've seen your hair growth anyway.

What about dehydration? Did they check those levels? Dehydration causes the same types of symptoms. Also.. have you been checking your blood sugar when these spells happen? Hypoglycemia is being shown now to be a very common side effect of this surgery.. there is quite a bit of it written about how common it is and was unexpected. Do an advanced tag search for either dehydration and then hypoglycemia here on the forum for more info. I'd highly suggest you check both of those as well.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#3 miss_ingle

miss_ingle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Scott Watson
  • Start Weight:221
  • Current Weight:142
  • Goal Weight:135
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.2
  • Surgery Date:03/01/2010

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

My blood sugar has been pretty low as well, especially considering that before surgery it was usually around 300-400 even with 6 insulin injections daily. It's now around 80-90, which isn't TOO bad. The dehydration could be an issue - because I KNOW I haven't been getting in enough fluids - but I have been able to increase them some lately. He didn't check it though at the visit. Sounds like I should probably schedule an appointment with my PCP and get some things checked out. But I'm glad to know low blood pressures are fairly common. Even with all my other previous health issues my blood pressure was always right on spot "normal" around 120/80.

Also, from everything I'd read on here it seemed as though people's hair loss started between 3-6 months post op. Mine was about 4 mo. post op when it started. Hopefully, it won't all fall out before it starts to regrow! LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Highest Weight: 240 lbs.
Weight at initial consult appt. (Oct. 09): 221 lbs.
Surgery date: 3/01/10 - Weight 210 lbs.
2 months after 4/29/10 - 176 lbs.
4 months after 7/01/10 - 160 lbs.
6 months after 8/31/10 - 149 lbs.
8 months after 11/01/10 - 144 lbs.
Total lost 77 lbs. 9 to go!
Goal weight: 135 lbs.

NORMAL BMI AS OF 10/02/2010!!!!

#4 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

My blood sugar has been pretty low as well, especially considering that before surgery it was usually around 300-400 even with 6 insulin injections daily. It's now around 80-90, which isn't TOO bad. The dehydration could be an issue - because I KNOW I haven't been getting in enough fluids - but I have been able to increase them some lately. He didn't check it though at the visit. Sounds like I should probably schedule an appointment with my PCP and get some things checked out. But I'm glad to know low blood pressures are fairly common. Even with all my other previous health issues my blood pressure was always right on spot "normal" around 120/80.

Also, from everything I'd read on here it seemed as though people's hair loss started between 3-6 months post op. Mine was about 4 mo. post op when it started. Hopefully, it won't all fall out before it starts to regrow! LOL

I don't know anyone who became bald from this surgery, so I'm sure you'll be okay.

RE: the blood sugar thing.. I know that if mine was even slightly elevated, I'd FEEL the blood sugar dropping and it would cause my head to spin and I'd get slightly sweaty even when it drops but stays within a normal range.

I hope that isn't the case for you, but perhaps testing it throughout the day for a few days/week might tell you more?

Please do drink up that water, too.. and an appointment for a full checkup might be in order.

Good luck!

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#5 2010ChapieMovingAhead

2010ChapieMovingAhead

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Start Weight:269
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):50.3
  • Surgery Type:NA

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

I've been having periods of dizziness and my head "swimming" off and on since my surgery and I've read here that alot of people do....so I haven't given it much thought. Lately, it has gotten worse. So I began checking my blood pressure off an on. It's been pretty low. Typically around 80/55 but going up to around 90/60 and as low as 75/50. I brought it up at my doctor's appointment a couple weeks ago and he assured me that was fine. He also told me that my hair shouldn't be falling out so early, unless my selenium level was very low and in all his 6000 patients he'd only had ONE that had low selenium. I was 6 months post op at that point and he said he usually doesn't see hair falling out until around 9-10 months post op...and that I probably wasn't getting enough protein. I told him I was getting the 70 g per day the nutritionist recommended.... so he told me to double it. Gah. Based on that, I don't know if I should just trust what he says (I know many here would say NO to that!)...and I tend to agree. Is low blood pressure common after WLS? How low is too low? Should I get a "second opinion"?

Just jumping in here, but you are describing everything that I went through. When I went to the doctors my GP, he noted my low blood pressure and told me to come back in 4 days. I just weaker and weaker ended up in hospital 3 days later with kidney failure due to dehydration. Go and get yourself checked out. Don't assume as I did, I thought it was BP.
Height 5ft 2"
2004 Highest weight: 22 stones/308 lb
269 lb/123kg
BMI: 53.2 Current BMI:41.53
BMI Member No. 7

Weight Loss Surgery: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Added to waiting list: 23 January 2009
Pre-Assessment date: 3rd July 2009 (accomplished)
Assessment call back: 10 July 2009
Transvaginal Ultrasound: 7th August 2009
Surgery date: 2nd March 2010 YAY!
GYM RAT ♯145
The race is not for the swift but for he who can endure to the end.