• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dee Dee

Dee Dee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:50 PM

Okay. First time logging on and my biggest issue for the past year has been chronic chest pain. I have had several EKGs all normal and have decided its gas. Any solutions from anyone going through the same? Gas EX does not seem to do the trick. Every doctor I see doesnt seem to take my surgery into consideration regarding any matter. Am I supposed to see my surgeon for everything from now on becuz he seems to be the only one who gets how much this surgery affects the rest of my body?
Anyway, looking for answers.

#2 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

Perhaps heartburn? Are you on an acid blocker? Maybe that will help.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#3 wlcasper

wlcasper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:23 AM

Marie speaks the truth. I was 9 months out when I noticed the same symptoms you are telling us about. I found out it was heartburn. I take an OTC Prilosec every other day and it keeps it in check. I asked Dr Potts about it and he told me that it just happens in some people, he doesn't know why. So try the Prilosec.

As another note I have tried other meds like Zantac, but I take more of the medication like two a day to get the same results as the every other day Prilosec.
Bill
Open RNY 03/24/2004
Dr. Potts
320/180/175 :D
Pre-op/goal/current
BMI 46/24.9/24

#4 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:31 AM

My theory is that in some people, the acid production is in overdrive because of the smaller space created. The acid has a more likely chance to bubble up into the esopahgus and cause discomfort. You don't have your whole, huge stomach to keep things in place.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
www.nochilddiesalone.org

#5 Dee Dee

Dee Dee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

I was wondering if that was the case, but I thought most people had less GERD after surgery so I sort of ruled it out. I am willing to try anything. Thank you for your reply.
Any thoughts about the doctor situation? Has anyone had trouble with family docs not knowing enough about Gastric bypass? Although I am so happy with the result of my surgery..111lbs wt loss over the last 3yrs..I am amazed at how I still respond so differently to everything from food to medication to vitamens.

#6 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:44 PM

FP have a hard time with anyone who've had any type of a specialty disease. That's wy they refer to someone else. However, it seems that inusrance don't want to pay for long term follow-up. Heart bypass people get to see a cardiologist for life. We don't get the same luxury. I'm fortunate that my doc likes to keep abreast with things and we share and discuss articles about WLS.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
www.nochilddiesalone.org

#7 annemarie

annemarie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

You may want to be checked for a hiatal hernia (phonic spelling) a lot of us people who are or have been obese have this tear and it feels like heartburn or chest pain and really is more difficult to diagnois than it would seem generally have to take a camera in there and look, I know I have one and it feels very much like chest pain or indigestion
Annemarie
Oct 18th the new lifestyle began
Dr Sergio Mejias
281/217/150
46 years old 5'5

Fear less, hope more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Hate less, love more; And all good things are yours.

- Swedish Proverb

#8 Banditmama

Banditmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

My dr did an endoscopy when I was having HORRIFIC chest pains. He dx'd me with spastic colin and gas problems because of surgery. He put me on Dicyclomine and it has helped tremendously. It might be worth looking into.
I had my surgery done 8/09/04, I weighed 362 lbs then....as of today I weigh in at 164 lbs( almost 200 lb weight loss in 1 year). If you have any more questions you can email me, unfortunately I am one of the 1 out of 100 that has had major complications (gall bladder removal, feeding tube, dehydration, ulcers, the works, etc).
my email is [email protected]
Best wishes, I hope this helps you.

#9 ceejay64

ceejay64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Man, I hear you! I started experiencing annoying to very painful chest pain about a month ago, and I've been freaked out about it. I couldn't find any specific links to what was causing it (full, empty, sitting up, lying down, etc.), so I couldn't figure out what was going on. I resigned to thinking it was stress-related because it calmed down while I was on vacation.
Reading this thread has helped me relax a little about it. I will still visit my doctor when I get a chance, however. I had really bad heartburn and GERD before the surgery, so it makes sense.
BTW, I'm a year and a quarter out and down 115 pounds (at 140 now), where I've pretty much been leveled out for a few months.
Thanks for the insight. I've got my TUMS handy now. :) The extra calcium probably wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. LOL!

#10 trickychick68

trickychick68

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

Yes, I dealt/am dealing with finding a GP that actually knows ANYTHING about GBS, and it's been a struggle... I think I FINALLY found a good one.

Chest pains - Could be hiatal hernia (I had mine fixed while GBS was performed).

Could be gallstone attacks, if you still have your gall bladder and notice the sharp pains, going through to your back. Have them do ultrasound.

Could be acid - I was on Prevacid, Prilosec and Aciphex, and NEVER had heartburn. I am off those meds now and still don't have any heartburn problems.

Check all three of those options, and don't stop til you get it resolved. SOMETHING is amiss, you just have to put your finger on it. :) GOOD LUCK!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Michelle
Start 252/Low 137/Goal142/Current 149 (gained twelve pounds since summer:()

LAP RNY 1-19-06

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
[/FONT]

#11 howertoncp

howertoncp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

Banded 4/16/2008, down 65 of 90 pounds and holding, current fill is 11 out of 14 ccs in an Allergen Band. I am 70 years old and had the band "installed: by M. Mounir Gazayerli, M.D. at Detroit's Harper University Hospital. I was an early Medicare funded recipient and Detroit was the closest place to home that I could find without a 8 month to 2 year wait.

For the past couple of monthsI have had severe chest pain that I initially thought was angina. Really strong pain that goes all the way up under my chin. But, I have had angina before and that feels as if your teeth are going t6o blow out of your head, and it almost always also goes down your left arm and you get cold swaets, grey coloring, etc., etc.
It is not angina! I have had a nuclear strees test and all the usual stuff and., I am told, my heart is just fine.

This pain has occurred about 5 or 6 times. It hits at random times and lasts from 10 to 20 minutes. It hurts like I swallowed a brick. No urge to upchuck, or any other symptom. I had a UGI last Wednesday and I could see theband for myself and it seemed to be very high on the stomach, th eradiologists report indicates the band is right at the junction of my esophagus and stomach and the bottom of the espohagis looks distended to me. I go for an endoscopic exam next week I hope and I hope that will settle where it is for sure and also rule out erosion, etc.

I suspect it is some form of stomach spasm, but have no idea why. Does anyone have any similar experiences? If so what is it?

Thanks,

Chuck Howerton
Sequim, Washington

#12 Bama

Bama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jon Hata
  • Hospital:Catawba Valley Medical Center, Hickory NC
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):42
  • Surgery Date:05/01/2009

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

This thread has helped me stop freaking out. I have had some chest pains the past week and they have radiated all over my chest. Mostly the left side but not always. I have had several ekg's the past 5 years as a result of this and they always diagnosis it as acid reflux.

So, I went and had my prilosec filled yesterday and I'm waiting for that to kick in to see if it helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Started Research Oct. 2008
Education Class Jan. 2009
PCP Referral and Physical Jan. 2009
Psych Eval. March 2009
Surgeon's Consult March 2009
Insurance Approval April 1st, 2009
Pre-op Visit April 20, 2009
High Protien and Liquids April 21, 2009
Lap RNY May 1, 2009

320/192/199
Highest/Current/Goal

#13 watfam4

watfam4

TT Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Robert Liem
  • Hospital:J.F.K. Medical Center
  • Start Weight:470
  • Current Weight:225
  • Goal Weight:225
  • Surgery Date:06/08/2005

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

A good Gastroenterologist might be your best bet.

I had GERD with Barrett's and I see my Gastro once a year for an upper endo follow-up. My issues appear to have gone away post-op. I do occasionally have heart burn, but nothing to make me think that an EKG might be needed.
Jim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 BlackButterfly

BlackButterfly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Chuck,
I have the lapband since 12-29-06 and have had the exact same type of pain you described. It's happened 4-5 times and your description of how it feels is perfect!!!.I almost went to the ER the last couple times but each time the pain finally passed after 20-25 minutes. I still don'tknow the cause of it but it's scary when it happens, even though I'm a nurse. (smile) But I'm now getting a revision to RNY in 2 weeks, maybe they'll see something once they get in there!!:confused:
Myrna

#15 Aurion07

Aurion07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

Hi, I'm new here. Been lurking for a while though. I had RNY in 2002, lost 100 lbs and am holding at goal +/- 5 lbs. I started lurking earlier this year when I started having episodes of horrible chest pain that would spread to my back. It was in combination with gas and heartburn so doc swore it wasn't my gall bladder. I had a small bowel series, an endoscopy and an ultrasound. Ultrasound showed gall bladder full to capacity with stones, although no infection or obstruction. Its coming out on Friday. And my heartburn is now under control with protonix. To OP as for the doctor issue, I suggest you find a gastroenterologist. That's who did all the tests to make sure everything was functioning properly (I think he was more curious than anything to see what an RNY looked like after 6 years) but he was thorough. My PCP tries to stay up on available info for gb patients, but I end up giving her info all the time. You have to be your own best advocate. I learned that the hard way when I was preggo and the gyn told me to stop my iron routine and take his recommended prenatal vits...I was severly anemic when I gave birth and had to have iron infusions...would have never happened had I stuck to what I had extensively researched and been doing for 5 years. If I hadn't caught it in month eight and gone back to my routine, hemotologist said I would've gone into cardiac arrest. Hope you find your answer.

#16 Bama

Bama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Jon Hata
  • Hospital:Catawba Valley Medical Center, Hickory NC
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:210
  • Goal Weight:199
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):42
  • Surgery Date:05/01/2009

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

I've been on prilosec for about 6 days now and I feel like a new man. No more chest pains and I can eat better. Before everything hurt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Started Research Oct. 2008
Education Class Jan. 2009
PCP Referral and Physical Jan. 2009
Psych Eval. March 2009
Surgeon's Consult March 2009
Insurance Approval April 1st, 2009
Pre-op Visit April 20, 2009
High Protien and Liquids April 21, 2009
Lap RNY May 1, 2009

320/192/199
Highest/Current/Goal

#17 Tootsie

Tootsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hello everyone.
I have been a member here for a while and just now had a problem, so did a search for chest pains and it brought me here to this thread.

I am 4 months into my surgery and have lost 75 lbs. But sometimes I eat too fast and food gets stuck in the chest area, I vomit it out at times. but for the past 5 days I have sharp shooting pains in the upper right chest, into the neck and into my right ear. I am trying to call the Dr's office, of course they are closed right now. lol. Anyway I didnt see anyone else describe exactly what I am having. Mine does not feel like reflux, which I have had before. It is downright sharpshooting pain. However, when I don't eat as much, the pain settles down, so Im wondering if I should just go liquids for a while.

I do have prilosec but have had ulcer type problems too altho they say it is not an ulcer. I was worried because I read that chest pain can mean a leak.

Anyone else have this problem? Id appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

-------------------------------------
ETA: Dr. just called back and said he doesnt care what the tests say, this sounds like an ulcer.

Edited by Tootsie, 04 December 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#18 ShrinkingViolet

ShrinkingViolet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Start Weight:340
  • Current Weight:214
  • Surgery Date:08/27/2009

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:03 AM

I got chest pains and discomfort a couple months out of surgery. Eating or drinking anything hurt so bad and made me feel soooo sick! I went in to my surgeon for my 2 month follow up about five days after that started, and he immediately put me on the list for an endoscopy the next morning. Because I hadn't been able to eat or drink properly for over a week he also gave me a "rally pack" IV of vitamins prior to the endoscopy, and yep, when he went in to look, I had developed an ulcer. He put me on Zegerid, a powder form of prilosec and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, an antacid) and with the first drink of that, I got immediate relief! I have to be on it for three months and then he'll check things out and evaluate whether I need to be on it longer. I've been on it two months now and no more chest pain at all.

Ulcers are a higher risk for us bypass patients long-term, so especially if you have had heart tests and your heart is fine, get a look-see for an ulcer. Over the counter prilosec is also not a good choice as it doesn't process in our pouch as well, which is why my doc puts his patients on the powder form when they need it.

My surgeon is also insistent that we keep in touch with him for any sort of issues which might in any way be related to the surgery. There are a lot of issues which can come up that only those really informed about the surgery are going to know, a regular doc isn't.

Hope you all get the pain fixed.

#19 pizzicato66

pizzicato66

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Wetherille
  • Hospital:Methodist, Minneapolis
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):33

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:11 AM

I'm having the same experience with my band. I feel great most of the time, but get pain in the chest and neck area. However, I find it happens when i've been grazing or putting too much in. No acid issues, as far as I can tell (I dealth with major reflux preop and haven't had a problem since).

Any time I overeat, I get bloating and chest pains, so I'm pretty convinced it's gas and my own fault for overfilling. I find getting out for some good exercise helps work the gas out, and then I feel better. That, and cutting back on portions to let my tummy settle down.

I think my bigger issue is getting my head to stop fighting the smaller portions. I have a doc's appointment on Thursday and will ask her about it, just in case it's my gall bladder, but I have a sneaking suspicion that more careful eating will fix the issue (and get my weight loss to kick in - I've been hovering at 90 lbs lost for a couple years).