• Announcements

• John

Community Guidelines   09/15/2015

A reminder that we have a general set of guidelines that are available at http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/guidelines/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may express them to me or a Community Leader directly. Thank you,
      John Callery
rosiebell

Recovery after sleeve

15 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm wondering how long your recovery was after the sleeve. I'm trying to plan my schedule for after surgery. When will I feel good enough to work, take kids to activities, go shopping, etc...

Thanks

For me I was pretty much "okay" within the first week, definitely off pain meds on day 7, but my seat belt rubbed against one of my incisions, so I didn't drive much at all until about day 10.

i am 6 days out and moving well. no real pain meds since the hospital. Tylenol if i really need something. i cant reach up too high in the kitchen yet or bend over to pick something up but i am up and moving. from reading most posts most people are pretty good between the week and two week mark and great between weeks 4 and 8. i know it varies between people but it seems pretty general from what i have read. best of luck to you and a speedy healthy recovery!

Ditto what everyone else has said. I'm 12 days out and I'll be returning to teaching tomorrow. I was NOT ready to chase after Kindergarteners last Wednesday when I was supposed to start.

The bad part right now is just building my endurance back up. I walked a mile today (yay me!) and will start back walking at the gym tomorrow after school.

Welcome to TT, Rosiebell. Most folks have a pretty easy recovery from the sleeve surgery. I am 18 mos. out. I did pain meds for just a few days but had a hard time getting my fluids and protein in (did not discover protein supplements for "clear" phase until a month or so out) so was fairly weak for a few weeks. I was driving comfortably at a week out and running errands, doing chores, but I couldnt have worked a full day until 3 weeks out just due to not having the energy.

It took me 3 weeks also. But I had a few complications and I needed a little extra time to heal.

My girl friend had her surgery on thursday and was back to work on Monday. I don't know what she was thinking but it worked for her. I had expected the same kind of recovery and was very surprised when it didn't happen.

So in other words, Just take it easy and give yourself more time if you need it.

Ditto to shiver.. I'd have to check my blog, but if memory serves me, I think 3 weeks was the point where I started to feel more functional. I went off pain meds by day 4, but felt starving for about a month & a half. I was crazy the first 2 weeks because the hunger pangs hurt. Not trying to scare you (sorry) just trying to explain that I didnt have complications, but I wasn't in my right mind for a couple weeks until I was able to get more fluids & cals in.

Welcome to TT, Rosiebell. Most folks have a pretty easy recovery from the sleeve surgery. I am 18 mos. out. I did pain meds for just a few days but had a hard time getting my fluids and protein in (did not discover protein supplements for "clear" phase until a month or so out) so was fairly weak for a few weeks. I was driving comfortably at a week out and running errands, doing chores, but I couldnt have worked a full day until 3 weeks out just due to not having the energy.

Can you give me tips on how to get protein in during the "clear phase"? Any help would be greatly appreciated! When I swallow it hurts like someone has punched me in the stomach and lasts a few seconds than gone. I have tried some protein shakes, can not choke them down at all!

Can you give me tips on how to get protein in during the "clear phase"? Any help would be greatly appreciated! When I swallow it hurts like someone has punched me in the stomach and lasts a few seconds than gone. I have tried some protein shakes, can not choke them down at all!

My DH is just getting out of his clear phase, but we both like the Nectar Fuzzy Navel protein powder. I've also been told the Roadside Lemonade flavor is tasty, too. We buy them at The Vitamin Shoppe. It's been pretty easy for him to get down since it's thin like water. We also like the Unjury chicken soup flavor powder.

The Roadside Lemonade is pretty decent, but I really like(d) the Twisted Cherry flavor of Syntrax Nectar. Not only did it taste like KoolAid, but it tastes phenomenal mixed in with sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding in the full liquid phase. ;)

I found that I have to take liquids at room temp -- otherwise I get that punched in the stomach feeling. Cold stuff HURTS BAD!!!!! Room temp is good, warm is heavenly! I have no trouble with shakes, but I do let them sit and warm up a bit before drinking.

I have found this is all trial and error. Let me know if warmer helps.

I was out 22 hours after surgery, 10 day out I went camping with my wife and family 200 miles north. For me it was a breeze (thank god).

I found that I have to take liquids at room temp -- otherwise I get that punched in the stomach feeling. Cold stuff HURTS BAD!!!!! Room temp is good, warm is heavenly! I have no trouble with shakes, but I do let them sit and warm up a bit before drinking.

I have found this is all trial and error. Let me know if warmer helps.

Seems no matter if cold, room temp, or warm...it hurts going down. It does not happen all the time, but most of the time. The nurse is calling tomorrow to get update and going to mention it to her. I notice I do have gas still rumbling in my stomach as I can hear it and feel it horribly throughout the day...maybe just the excess gas is doing it?!?!

Maalox really helped me with the gas pains.

Hi

I'm wondering how long your recovery was after the sleeve. I'm trying to plan my schedule for after surgery. When will I feel good enough to work, take kids to activities, go shopping, etc...

Thanks

I had surgery on the morning of 10/29 and was out of the hospital on 10/31. I then drove myself to a college advisory board meeting on 11/3 and then the doctor later that day to get my staples out. However, I didn't feel well enough to be really productive until about 10 days after surgery. I might have done better if I had been more into taking my pain meds, but I am not a fan of being out of it.