14 replies to this topic

#1 rosiebell

rosiebell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hi
I'm wondering how long your recovery was after the sleeve. I'm trying to plan my schedule for after surgery. When will I feel good enough to work, take kids to activities, go shopping, etc...
Thanks

#2 gooberific

gooberific

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Podkameni
  • Hospital:Banner Gateway
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:148
  • Goal Weight:160
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.4
  • Surgery Date:09/21/2009
  • Surgery Type:Vertical Sleeve

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

For me I was pretty much "okay" within the first week, definitely off pain meds on day 7, but my seat belt rubbed against one of my incisions, so I didn't drive much at all until about day 10.

Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/Surgeon's Goal
342/286/150 +/- 2/160

Info Seminar: 02/09 317 lbs.

VSG: 9/21/09

ONEderland 4/26/10

I DID IT! Goal reached some time in December, 2010

#3 lhitt3813

lhitt3813

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Lin
  • Hospital:NNMC - Bethesda Naval Hospital
  • Start Weight:260
  • Current Weight:183
  • Goal Weight:120
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):32
  • Surgery Date:08/16/2010

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

i am 6 days out and moving well. no real pain meds since the hospital. Tylenol if i really need something. i cant reach up too high in the kitchen yet or bend over to pick something up but i am up and moving. from reading most posts most people are pretty good between the week and two week mark and great between weeks 4 and 8. i know it varies between people but it seems pretty general from what i have read. best of luck to you and a speedy healthy recovery!

#4 bzmom3

bzmom3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNW Ohio
  • Surgeon:Peter Lalor, MD
  • Hospital:Wood County Hospital
  • Start Weight:322
  • Current Weight:225
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Surgery Date:08/10/2010

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

Ditto what everyone else has said. I'm 12 days out and I'll be returning to teaching tomorrow. I was NOT ready to chase after Kindergarteners last Wednesday when I was supposed to start.

The bad part right now is just building my endurance back up. I walked a mile today (yay me!) and will start back walking at the gym tomorrow after school.
bzmom3 :D

TT Gym rat club member #159

Posted Image

#5 ardita

ardita

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Start Weight:217
  • Current Weight:161
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27.4
  • Surgery Date:04/29/2009

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to TT, Rosiebell. Most folks have a pretty easy recovery from the sleeve surgery. I am 18 mos. out. I did pain meds for just a few days but had a hard time getting my fluids and protein in (did not discover protein supplements for "clear" phase until a month or so out) so was fairly weak for a few weeks. I was driving comfortably at a week out and running errands, doing chores, but I couldnt have worked a full day until 3 weeks out just due to not having the energy.

Inspiration from TT friends:

Alleusion: "YOUR best may not be MY best."

SweetP: "Be grateful for what you have; not ungrateful for what you don't have."

Kantonucci: "I refuse to dig my own grave with my knife and fork."

LisaM: "When I was sated emotionally, I was no longer starving physically.... Find out what you're really hungry for... It may not be food."

Cynthia:"There is never a mistake too big to change, never a misstep that cannot be corrected, and there is never a wrong time to start over."

(and someone had a great quote about not letting immediate gratification derail long term goals-but I cant remember who or exactly the wording. It was good, though...)

BMI=27.4. Just overweight. It's happening!

#6 shiver

shiver

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationSomewhere out there
  • Start Weight:229
  • Current Weight:127
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):24.5
  • Surgery Date:05/17/2010

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

It took me 3 weeks also. But I had a few complications and I needed a little extra time to heal.

My girl friend had her surgery on thursday and was back to work on Monday. I don't know what she was thinking but it worked for her. I had expected the same kind of recovery and was very surprised when it didn't happen.

So in other words, Just take it easy and give yourself more time if you need it.
Height: 5' 1/2"
Start weight: 229
Day of surgery: 214
Current weight: 127.8
My Goal: 135 made on 2/8/11
On to: Dr. Goal: 120
Normal BMI 4/19/11

#7 everleigh

everleigh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Hospital:Woodlands
  • Start Weight:280
  • Current Weight:212
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):35
  • Surgery Date:03/31/2010

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Ditto to shiver.. I'd have to check my blog, but if memory serves me, I think 3 weeks was the point where I started to feel more functional. I went off pain meds by day 4, but felt starving for about a month & a half. I was crazy the first 2 weeks because the hunger pangs hurt. Not trying to scare you (sorry) just trying to explain that I didnt have complications, but I wasn't in my right mind for a couple weeks until I was able to get more fluids & cals in.
everleigh "I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday."
highest/surgery day/lowest/current/goal
280/272/179/212/140
The Glorious first 9mos post op VSG in 2010:
MONTH 1: -26lbs APRIL* MONTH 2: -17 lbs (-43 lbs) MAY* MONTH 3: -12 lbs (-55 lbs) JUNE* MONTH 4: -13 lbs (-68 lbs) JULY* MONTH 5: -11 lbs (-77 lbs) AUG* MONTH 6: -3 lbs (-80 lbs) SEPT.*
MONTH 7: -3 lbs (-83 lbs) OCT.* MONTH 8: -7 lbs (-90 lbs) NOV.* MONTH 9: -3 lbs (-93 lbs) DEC.

ONEDERLAND: 8.23.2010-5.11.2011 :(Recovering from major depression from infertility that was discovered a year post wls.
Still trying to tap into my wls tool and get my life back.

#8 tchristiansen

tchristiansen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Raymond Drew
  • Hospital:Abbott Northwestern
  • Start Weight:246
  • Current Weight:177
  • Surgery Date:11/03/2010

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Welcome to TT, Rosiebell. Most folks have a pretty easy recovery from the sleeve surgery. I am 18 mos. out. I did pain meds for just a few days but had a hard time getting my fluids and protein in (did not discover protein supplements for "clear" phase until a month or so out) so was fairly weak for a few weeks. I was driving comfortably at a week out and running errands, doing chores, but I couldnt have worked a full day until 3 weeks out just due to not having the energy.

Can you give me tips on how to get protein in during the "clear phase"? Any help would be greatly appreciated! When I swallow it hurts like someone has punched me in the stomach and lasts a few seconds than gone. I have tried some protein shakes, can not choke them down at all!
Starting Weight: 246
Weight Day of Surgery: 230
Current Weight: 177
My Goal Weight: 160

#9 Pokey

Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas
  • Height (ft-in):5-06
  • Start Weight:248
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.6
  • Surgery Date:08/20/2010

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

Can you give me tips on how to get protein in during the "clear phase"? Any help would be greatly appreciated! When I swallow it hurts like someone has punched me in the stomach and lasts a few seconds than gone. I have tried some protein shakes, can not choke them down at all!

My DH is just getting out of his clear phase, but we both like the Nectar Fuzzy Navel protein powder. I've also been told the Roadside Lemonade flavor is tasty, too. We buy them at The Vitamin Shoppe. It's been pretty easy for him to get down since it's thin like water. We also like the Unjury chicken soup flavor powder.

#10 gooberific

gooberific

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Podkameni
  • Hospital:Banner Gateway
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:148
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):25.4
  • Surgery Date:09/21/2009

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

The Roadside Lemonade is pretty decent, but I really like(d) the Twisted Cherry flavor of Syntrax Nectar. Not only did it taste like KoolAid, but it tastes phenomenal mixed in with sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding in the full liquid phase. ;)

Highest/Day of Surgery/Current/Surgeon's Goal
342/286/150 +/- 2/160

Info Seminar: 02/09 317 lbs.

VSG: 9/21/09

ONEderland 4/26/10

I DID IT! Goal reached some time in December, 2010

#11 Becky3695

Becky3695

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Surgeon:Kelly
  • Start Weight:234
  • Current Weight:193
  • Goal Weight:145
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):34
  • Surgery Date:10/15/2010

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

I found that I have to take liquids at room temp -- otherwise I get that punched in the stomach feeling. Cold stuff HURTS BAD!!!!! Room temp is good, warm is heavenly! I have no trouble with shakes, but I do let them sit and warm up a bit before drinking.

I have found this is all trial and error. Let me know if warmer helps.

Becky
DOS 10/15/10
Vertical Sleeve
Age 34
Highest/Current/Goal
234/193/145

Onederland reached -12/11/10
Overweight BMI reached - 196lbs 12/24/2010
Normal BMI reached 164 lbs ?????
Average body fat percentage (31%) ????

ALL EYES ON THE RED DRESS!
Rocked the RED DRESS 12-31-10!!!

#12 FLHTC

FLHTC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore MA
  • Surgeon:Dr. Julie Kim
  • Hospital:Tufts Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):5-08
  • Start Weight:337
  • Current Weight:219
  • Goal Weight:200
  • Surgery Date:09/29/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:33 AM

I was out 22 hours after surgery, 10 day out I went camping with my wife and family 200 miles north. For me it was a breeze (thank god).
Oh Lord if you can't make me skinny please make my friends fat, thank you lord.

#13 tchristiansen

tchristiansen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Raymond Drew
  • Hospital:Abbott Northwestern
  • Start Weight:246
  • Current Weight:177
  • Surgery Date:11/03/2010

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:01 AM

I found that I have to take liquids at room temp -- otherwise I get that punched in the stomach feeling. Cold stuff HURTS BAD!!!!! Room temp is good, warm is heavenly! I have no trouble with shakes, but I do let them sit and warm up a bit before drinking.

I have found this is all trial and error. Let me know if warmer helps.

Seems no matter if cold, room temp, or warm...it hurts going down. It does not happen all the time, but most of the time. The nurse is calling tomorrow to get update and going to mention it to her. I notice I do have gas still rumbling in my stomach as I can hear it and feel it horribly throughout the day...maybe just the excess gas is doing it?!?!
Starting Weight: 246
Weight Day of Surgery: 230
Current Weight: 177
My Goal Weight: 160

#14 LowCHO

LowCHO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Surgery Date:11/02/2010

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:04 AM

Maalox really helped me with the gas pains.
LowCHO

Sleeve Gastrectomy 11/02/10
First 20 lb. loss was pre-op

Posted Image

Stop Diabetes!

#15 SilverBack

SilverBack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX
  • Surgeon:Dr. Barker
  • Hospital:Forest Park Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in):6-03
  • Start Weight:375
  • Current Weight:248
  • Goal Weight:220
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):31
  • Surgery Date:10/29/2010

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:40 AM

Hi
I'm wondering how long your recovery was after the sleeve. I'm trying to plan my schedule for after surgery. When will I feel good enough to work, take kids to activities, go shopping, etc...
Thanks

I had surgery on the morning of 10/29 and was out of the hospital on 10/31. I then drove myself to a college advisory board meeting on 11/3 and then the doctor later that day to get my staples out. However, I didn't feel well enough to be really productive until about 10 days after surgery. I might have done better if I had been more into taking my pain meds, but I am not a fan of being out of it.