eyesthatkissu

Gastric Bypass Diet Guidelines

24 posts in this topic

Each surgeon has a specific diet he or she asks that you follow, but here are some general diet tips and information I thought might be pertinent.

Gastric Bypass Diet

The following are diet guidelines to follow after gastric bypass surgery. You will go home on a liquid diet for 3 weeks. You will then progress to soft foods and gradually add regular consistency foods over the next 1-3 months. Included here are suggestions for making this a safe and smooth transition as you learn to eat differently with your new gastric pouch. You will also receive further instructions when you come to your clinic appointments after surgery.

STAGE 1: LIQUID DIET

IN THE HOSPITAL:

On the day after surgery, if your swallow study is OK, you will start on sips of clear liquids (1 oz. per hour of water, diluted juice, tea, coffee, broth). Please do not use straws or drink carbonated beverages, as these will cause gas. You will start with small amounts of these liquids because you will feel full quickly and you don

I cut and pasted that entire entry into my computer for future reference. I really appreciate it.

Dyann

jackies likes this

hi its kpleasure again i like this information you just gave i will use it and i have been Experimenting on diffrent drinks i have 69 days and counting to go

Robin, you are an angel! Thanks for posting that. No matter how much we read and try to learn it's always great to see supportive articles and suggestions here. Thanks... going to print that out and put in my book!

You are welcome my lil podmate!

I know its a sticky, but there hasnt been a comment about it since 2005. So here it goes!

wow, mine is so different.

Stage I: Clear liquids 5 days! (water, crystal lite, broth)

Stage II: Full liquids 2 weeks ( yogurt, puddings, strained soup, protien drinks)

Stage III: Puree 2 weeks (pureed foods in the blender NO FOOD CHINKS)

Stage IV: Soft foods

Regular diet of small bites and lots of protien

Stage I was too hard, there was no nutrients and I felt malnurished. one of the things I have to bring up with the program director

mbmapp likes this

My diet after surgery is different too:

Day 1 - 1 oz of liquid per hour

Day 2 - 2 oz of liquid per hour

Day 3 - 3-4 oz of liquid per hour (if still in hospital)

Post-op week 1 - full liquid diet

• broth
  • sugar-free fruit drinks
  • sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free italian ice
  • water, decaffeinated tea/coffee
  • diluted fruit juce (max 4 oz per day diluted with 4 oz of water)
  • 1% or skim milk
  • protein supplements
  • sugar-free sherbet
  • low-fat/light yogurt
  • fat-free cottage cheese (no fruit added)
  • fat-free ricotta cheese
  • sugar-free jello/low fat pudding

Post-op weeks 2-4 - Bariatric pureed diet

• 2 tbsp - beef, pork, poultry, scrambled eggs, etc.
  • cottage/ricotta cheese (fat-free or 1%)
  • greek-style yogurt
  • baby meat
  • tofu
  • cheese - fat-free or low fat
  • vegetables - soft, tender varieties (pureed)
  • mashed banana/unsweetened applesauce
  • hot cereal (oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat)
  • mashed white or sweet potatoes
  • broth/bouillon
  • reduceed fat cream soups
  • water, crystal light, fruit 2O, true lemon/orange/lime
  • light yogurt, sugar-free jello/popsicles/pudding/custard, sugar-free, low-fat ice cream and sherbert

AVOID:

• peanut butter/nut butters, potted meats, raw veggies/fruits, fibrous stalks, seeds, skins, hulls, pasta, noodles, rice, bread, additional starchy foods, soda, caffeinated drinks, fizzy drinks, chocolate milks, condensed milk, 2% or whole milk

Post-op weeks 4-8 - Soft Diet

Pretty much the same as with pureed except that it only has to be soft

Post-op week 9 - Regular diet

laynie31, mbmapp and Juicy J like this

I am new here l get my op on April 27 the information on diet after op is great to know. I am from Australia and a lot of what you mention is not here

Hi Aussie,

I too am from Oz'....you are quite right when you mentioned that the information here in Australia is very different to what you see here, i don't know what part of oz you are in, I am in Adelaide, I went through the public health system, which I can't tell you how greatful I have been.

I am 1 week off my first anniversary I have lost 70% of my projected weight loss, which according to a "private" dietician, is on parr where I should be, until speaking with her at length via email as we are in different states, I had become very disalusioned, she has been able to renew my confidence.

In the public health system here in Adelaide, there are no support groups that you can go to, only if you have had your surgery in the "Private Health Care". I have a wonderful surgeon, he was/has been so good to me, as I have had re-addmisions due to dehydration levels.Unfortunately, once again, due to the public health system, I am yet to have 'a' "Official Visit" with my surgeon, which I find very disappointing.

The amounts that I eat are very little, and what I can eat one day, doesnt always occur the next time I choose to eat that particular

food.

I take a great deal of medication also in the AM and PM which makes it difficult to eat breakfast straight away. I usually have to wait around an hour, it isn't that bad in the evening as I take it at a later time.

I dont know what a regular diet is supposed to be now, or in terms of quantity exactly how much it is supposed to be or exactly how much I should actually be consuming, eg breakfast, lunch and dinner... is it eg; 1 slice of toast, tea/coffee/juice for breakfast, lunch 1 cup veg/salad and 30g protein, dinner 1cup of veg/salad incl a starch in that 1 cup and 30g of protein, because that's pretty much what I am consuming, at mid morning I have a small piece of fruit or 1/2 cup of fruit salad or 1/4 cup muiesli with 1/4 cup homemade greek yoghurt the same mid afternoon and sometimes after tea i have the same as mid morning.

It's a huge long blurrrr I know, but yeh things are so very different in Australia.

If anyone in Australia or the rest of the world can enlighten me on any of the above, I sincerely welcome your in-put.

Good luck everyone!!

Thank you, Robin and others!

Great info, im in my 1st week.

Edited by TWH31

Great post.

I have copied to word and will use this info very soon.

I am going to keep this post in my folder so I can use it as a refer:)

Thank you SOOOOO Much! I have printed this and will keep it on my fridge. I know I have been given guidelines but this seriously is so helpful! Surgery is next Tuesday!! 

Thanks again!

This is great post, esp my surgeon said after 3 weeks eat what ever you like ...........

It's great info!  The main difference is the timing of the changeovers.  Seems all surgeons have different ideas of when to notch it up.  Mine was one week in each stage.  I've seen less than that and I've seen up to 3 weeks in each stage.  Not sure why that is.

Edited by Happy-Camper
JenJamZ likes this

Hi Robin thanks for this information very helpful.

Thank you for the info!

Thanks for the info :), had surgery 10 days ago, see doc tomorrow...see how things are going!!  :D

Congratulations, you will have to be sure and check-in and tell us how your appointment went.

WOW! Thanks for info Robin, I will print and save :)

Here is a useful guide to diet after gastric bypass surgery that is used at Tufts Medical Center, one of the best hospitals in Boston.

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/-/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient%20Care%20Services/Departments%20and%20Services/Weight%20and%20Wellness%20Center/GBP%20Diet%20Manual12611.ashx

Raeme likes this

On 10/12/2005 at 7:41 AM, eyesthatkissu said:

Each surgeon has a specific diet he or she asks that you follow, but here are some general diet tips and information I thought might be pertinent.

Gastric Bypass Diet

The following are diet guidelines to follow after gastric bypass surgery. You will go home on a liquid diet for 3 weeks. You will then progress to soft foods and gradually add regular consistency foods over the next 1-3 months. Included here are suggestions for making this a safe and smooth transition as you learn to eat differently with your new gastric pouch. You will also receive further instructions when you come to your clinic appointments after surgery.

STAGE 1: LIQUID DIET

IN THE HOSPITAL:

On the day after surgery, if your swallow study is OK, you will start on sips of clear liquids (1 oz. per hour of water, diluted juice, tea, coffee, broth). Please do not use straws or drink carbonated beverages, as these will cause gas. You will start with small amounts of these liquids because you will feel full quickly and you don

I am so excited and looking forward to my gastric bypass. Any tips are always welcome and needed