Photo
- - - - -

Bariatric Surgery: Statistics you should know...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eyesthatkissu

eyesthatkissu

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Callery
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Start Weight:315
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:165
  • Surgery Date:10/24/2005

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:37 AM

BARIATRIC SURGERY: STATISTICS YOU SHOULD KNOW

The numbers don't lie. America is getting fatter by the second. According to a study from the Center for Disease Control, nearly one-third of the adult population in the United States was clinically obese in 2000. That was a 200% increase over a 20 year span. Further, the organization states that there are more than 300,000 deaths caused each year that can directly be attributed to obesity and lack of physical activity. Yet, many people strive to do something about it, as recent weight loss surgery statistics claim that more than 100,000 people have undergone such a procedure in the past year.

What are the bariatric surgery success rates? Keeping in mind that weight loss surgery is a last resort for many people, most experts place the success rate at around 75%, meaning that three out of every four people will find that bariatric surgery succeeds where other diet methods fail. By 18-months after the surgery's completion date, the average patient loses at least half of his or her excess poundage, with some dropping as much as 80% of his or her bodyweight. When compared to dieting, in which individuals typically lose just one-tenth of their bodyweight, the gastric bypass and lap band statistics do make it seem as though it offers a much greater opportunity for success.

Yet, there are other bariatric surgery statistics that people considering undergoing this procedure must consider. Roughly 20% of those who undergo a gastric bypass or lap band procedure will require additional surgery to mend complications, ranging from hernias to abdominal abscesses to gastrointestinal leaks and beyond. Three out of every ten patients will ultimately develop nutritional deficiencies such as anemia and osteoporosis, as they may find that the operation makes them intolerant to red meat, milk products, and other food types.

Further, according to the statistics of gastric bypass surgery provided by most doctors, there is nearly a 1% mortality rate associated with the procedure. It is estimated that one in every 100 to 300 people will die as a result of bariatric surgery. Additionally, one out of every four weight reduction surgeries fail, meaning that either the patient is never able to each his or her target weight, or fails to maintain the prescribed diet, thus either undoing the procedure or stretching the gastric pouch to a much larger size than was intended. Recall all of this data when considering whether or not bariatric surgery is right for you.

BARIATRIC SURGERY: DOES THE RISK OUTWEIGH THE REWARD?

Many overweight and obese people -- especially those who for whom maintaining a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and using weight loss inducing medication are either impractical, ineffective, or difficult to maintain -- have been turning to Bariatic Surgery, hoping for a quick solution to a lifelong problem. However, there are numerous possible side effects of weight loss surgery that need to be considered individually before committing to the procedure.

In fact, one of the foremost complications of Bariatric Surgery is the possibility that it may result in death. According to most experts, fatalities occur in about one out of every 100 people that have the procedure, and is more likely among those with unusually high Body Mass Indexes (BMI) or other serious pre-existing medical conditions. In cases where patient death occurs, the cause can usually be tied to the occurrence of one or more additional complications after Bariatric Surgery, such as a pulmonary embolism or a leak from the gastrointestinal tract.

Gastrointestinal leaks are a major Bariatric Surgery risk. When a leak occurs, it means that the connection between the bowels and the stomach was not properly sealed or stapled. This may cause material from the bowels to seep back into the stomach or abdominal area, thus causing infection and major health complications. Bariatric Surgery results in this condition roughly 1% of the time, and while not common, it is most certainly a life-threatening condition. When doctors expect their may be a possible leak, or if the patient begins to feel symptoms that can be linked to such an infection, emergency surgery may be required.

In fact, complications to Bariatric Surgery result in the need for additional surgery in about one out of every five patients who undergo the procedure. Some of the other possible Bariatric Surgery complications include bowel obstruction, the formation of stricture, the formation of stomach ulcers, abdominal bleeding, pneumonia, the formation of gallstones and abdominal hernias. Individually, there is a 1% to 5% chance that any of these weight loss surgery complications will occur within a given patient, although as mentioned earlier, there is a 20% chance that at least one of these Bariatric Surgery risks will occur within a particular individual.

Should the procedure is a complete success; there is still another possible, long-term Bariatric Surgery complication that might arise over time -- malnutrition. If the patient fails to follow the dietary plan provided by his or her doctor, they could wind up deficient in protein, vitamins or minerals. In fact, according to information provided by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, as many as 30% of those who undergo Bariatric Surgery could wind up with serious nutritional deficiency disorders, including anemia and osteoporosis. Complicating matters it the fact that the body may develop and intolerance to certain foods, including milk and beef, following weight loss surgery.

~~Robin~~

~~Dr. C was impressed by me!~~
315/150/165 ..... -112 inches, From a size 32 to a size 10. Below Goal :P 165 pounds no longer linger on my @*#!
October, 24 2005

Sometimes I feel like all I am doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic :P
And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -Abraham Lincoln

#2 LizardQueen

LizardQueen

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:54 AM

Great info, Robin! I like the odds for success! We need to remember this thread for future reference!
Amber:)
Open RNY 2/22/05
278/103.5 way below goal

#3 phatgrl_08

phatgrl_08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

Hi guys, I'm new here and I just want you all to know about this amazing report I got from Julianne Kennedy's site. Well, It's for morbidly obese people considering bariatric surgery but
its really IN-YOUR-FACE to non-obese people.

She kind of attacks them or society at large for persecuting the obese. I'm 'big' so I really enjoyed it - LOL - she says all the things I want to say but don't have the nerve to.

I subscribed to her report and I was satisfied. That is why I am telling you this because I want you to learn from it too. If you want a free copy,get it here: http://www.weight-lo..._wls_report.htm

#4 marine

marine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:46 AM

Great facts, just to mention that what is sure now,
the rate of death, and some of the severe complications are definitely lower with very experienced surgeons. THerefore it is worth not jeopardizing with the costs, ensure to have the surgery and follow-up at the best possible centers.

It is still an experimental approach in a certain way, long term data meaning 20 years follow-up are not really available as the whole approach is not longer than 15 years, and the rate of procedures exploded the past years . Still a lot to learn.
Marine "the Sea Girl"

Lap RYGBP Sep 21 07

Preop / lowest /Now
Weight: 240 /130 /153 -
BMI: 41 /22.2 /26.1 (horrible)

#5 Tashini

Tashini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Surgeon:Mr Majid Hashemi

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:56 AM

Not a bad article but I do get so annoyed when surgery is referred to a quick fix - as all of us that have undertaken it, it is far from a quick fix - it is a lifelong change.

It is dangerous serious with some serious risks and complications but for those of us who have suffered from obesity and all that comes with it, we are prepared to take those risks in order to get some kind of normality into our lives.

T xxx :)
RNY 20 July 2006
Current Weight 10st 7lbs or 147lbs for my US cousins :D

#6 Dave T in SD

Dave T in SD

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Surgeon:The Great Dr. Callery
  • Start Weight:356
  • Current Weight:220
  • Goal Weight:175

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for posting this info...:)
BDW...Good to see you back & posting again!!:D

Dave T ;)
356/330/218/185
Highest/Pre-Op/Curr/Goal
138 lbs gone forever!!!:eek:
Dr. Charles Callery
OFFICIAL LOOSER -- April 7th, 2006 :D
Gym Rat #48
Jambabear...
http://www.myspace.com/davidtofte

"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 paige52

paige52

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr. Laura Machado

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

excellent information... thanks for sharing it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
213/110/130 Preop/Current/Goal

Open RNY 9/26/06 Height 5' 4"

#8 Cinerbelle

Cinerbelle

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for posting this info...:)
BDW...Good to see you back & posting again!!:D

FYI - She's not posting.... this is from Oct. 2005.;)

#9 Dave T in SD

Dave T in SD

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Surgeon:The Great Dr. Callery
  • Start Weight:356
  • Current Weight:220
  • Goal Weight:175

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

I just read the post, didn't see the date!:P