mistymee

To those of you freaked out about Stalls-UPDATED

I just came across this information and thought, "Wow...it has a name!" I just had to share...

After Gastric Bypass: Possible Problems (scroll down to Hibernation Syndrome)

Hibernation syndrome

Two to four weeks after surgery, your body reacts to the smaller amount of food you are eating. You feel tired, lethargic and often depressed. Your body wants to slow down until the old food supply returns.

The best way to deal with this is to know the symptoms and know they are normal. Start to exercise so your body gets used to using body fat as a source of energy. Call your program staff if your symptoms last longer than six to eight weeks.

I just came across this information and thought, "Wow...it has a name!" I just had to share...

After Gastric Bypass: Possible Problems (scroll down to Hibernation Syndrome)

That was an excellent article thanks for posting it!

I love this thread! I've not lost any weight this past week and tomorrow I'll be 6 weeks out. I know I have to trust the process and my body but this is HARD. This thread helps, though, because when I read all the threads from frustrated people and then see their stats and that the stall didn't last forever I'm hopeful!

You're welcome hon... honest to pete.. I see how upset and frustrated people are and I remember being there myself (see "Frustrated and Depressed) and early out there is no reason to stress over this at all..

I mentioned in another thread that look at weight loss early out as a long spiral staircase with multiple platforms along the way where your body is resting and recovering from the previous drops.. and that the trip down that staircase will be faster in some spots and slower in others and when you get to that resting platform know that your body is gearing up for the next trip down. This is all such a huge shock to our bodies and there is little reason to get stressed mentally about it.

I know it's normal, but I wish people wouldn't put themselves through it... I also wish the medical team was more clear about how this journey works, too. I feel they don't really prepare people as well as they should :(

I LOVE this analogy. <3

Is it possible to to stall after 2wks?

Is it possible to to stall after 2wks?

Yes, read the first few posts in this thread for more! :) completely normal.

I LOVE this analogy. <3

Thanks...I think it's a good one :)

I'm right there with everyone else... my DH actually had to HIDE the scale from me! I am only 3.5 weeks out, but I've lost 17lbs since my surgery date. I had my two week check up and have lost 2lbs in the week since, but it seems like this whole week I haven't dropped a pound. I'm on full liquids for 4 weeks so its hard to get that much protien in if we're only "allowed" 1 protien drink a day. And I've never been good about drinking water. I noticed that it makes my stomache gurgle and I get like a bubble stuck in my upper pouch, even though I'm taking tiny sips and trying to make sure i'm not swallowing air.

We used to weigh in on Saturdays, my husband and I, but I started an every morning routine cause it was moving and I wanted to feel proud! Well... every morning turned into morning... aaaaaand right before bed... I have been freaked out this week that this wont work for me and that I'm going to be "the only one this surgery doens't work for" like one of the other posters said. This is because of our struggles with other diets that our expectations are such that we're doomed to be obese forever.

Reading this thread has REALLY helped me see that I'm not 1) alone, 2) CRAZY, or 3) a failure.

As Dori from Nemo says "just keep swimming" right?

I am almost nine months out and I am having my first stall. I haven't lost anything in the past week but I haven't gainned either. I know its my fault because I didn't work out last week nor have I been eating awesomely. The carb monster has gotten me and starting tomorrow im running away from it.

I am 5 weeks post op have been doing everything im suppose to be doing and have been at the same weight for almost a couple weeks. Really frustrating, i really need to seperate myself from the scale but its kinda like a obsessive thing for me. Ive got it in my mind if i try to do something differently that maybe i will lose a pound or two but thats not working either. I guess i just have to be patient but its just so hard when your trying and have changed so much about your life and your not getting anywhere.

I am on a stall but no biggie, I read it's very common...... But I did try going up n down 2 flights of stairs and I feel worse than I ever did being 30 lbs heavier... :blink:

I view my stalls as my body adjusting to the changes it is going through.

Thanks everyone for this thread! It helps a lot to know I'm not alone and that it is actually a common occurance for some of us.

Hi all, so good to read what you're all going through or have gone through. I'm 12 days out from surgery and I haven't lost a thing for a week now. I am sticking to the rules 100% but I hadn't realised the significance of drinking water until finding this forum. I thought that because I wasn't thirsty I didn't need to drink it all, but no, apparently I need to get about 2 litres a day - I've managed a litre so far this morning which leaves me a litre for the rest of the day and evening / night (I really don't like water, even flavoured, but i'm getting it down me with no physical problems at all)

Didn't really think I COULD drink so much so easily, here's hoping the scales reward me at some point soon, i've only just begun and am worried :(

Thanks all again,

Layla.

Me again.

Haven't lost an ounce since the first week after surgery. Now i'm in week 3 about to start week 4.

I am doing good with the drinking water. No constipation, strange because I am putting barely any food in for it to come out lol.

I discovered refried beans which have more carbohydrate in them than the thing I was eating before (chicken / tuna)

And I had them for lunch and will have them for supper with a little bit of grated Monterey Jack.

They are basically the best things I have ever tasted, I saw that many of you in here like them too - I would NEVER have eaten them before surgery but now they are like manna from heaven to me.

I still didn't lose weight though. I feel like giving up because it's been such a massive change and I haven't cheated once. I am about 600 calories per day at the moment.

Surely I am missing something, this is soul destroying at this point.

:(

How is it going now, Layla? Lose anything yet?

Hiya!

Thanks so much for asking. Actually I have still lost not even one gram yet. I think I will be in this stall for a few more weeks, I simply can't see how this process works. I'm still smiling though. I think by September I will get an appointment with the surgeon, because something won't be right if I am still not losing anything!

xx

Hi Layla,

I'm 6 weeks out today, and had a stall at around 3 weeks. It just seems to be a really common thing at that particular time. The great thing about this thread is reading the old posts (say from a year or two ago) and reading the current weights on the member profile info and realizing that it's only temporary. Good luck, and I'll be cheering for you!

Thank you. Coming up to 5 weeks and have been stalling for 4 of them. It's gotta break soon hasn't it. Despairing but carrying on with the plan and the good dietary advice here. Pretty emotional all the time and feel lonely which I hadn't felt before. Not so nice really.

Hi Layla

I know this is very hard to go through and is frustrating. Early out when I was in this stage I found what kick started me was when my surgeon ordered me to the gym to use the treadmill. It helped a lot. Every time I get in a tough place like this I do think pushing myself harder in the exercise dept. helps get things moving again. I wonder if you're losing inches. Do your clothes feel loser? If you can take measurements so that you can check this area during stalls. Write them down. You may also be putting on muscle as you are losing fat. Another thing that will affect the weight loss is too low protein intake. How much do you get a day? Are you drinking a lot of water? That helps too.

Good news finally, I feel like a different woman, the last 4 weeks were just so difficult. Complete stall. And today I wake up and I have lost 4 pounds overnight, so something is working! Can't believe it, so happy to have got those awful weeks out of the way. I nearly fell into a depression because of it, the only thing that helped me keep sane was reading all your advice and dietary / exercise tips and wisdom.

I was wondering if weight loss is always followed by a stall, or if you end up losing a few pounds a week quite steadily. These stalls, well it made me dig so deep to keep on going - I can't face another one yet!

THANK YOU ALL! x

My dietitian says weight loss is often in steps... hang in there!!

My dr. explained wls as a flight of stairs. You are going down the stairs losing and then you come to a plateau, which is ur body adjusting to the extreme change of the lbs of weightloss. Then you lose again, then another plateau.

Although knowing this information is great so we know what is going on it does not help me in the emotional department.

I am currently in my 2nd stall ever at 7mo. post op and I am on day 20 of gaining and losing the same 3lbs. I know it is a stall but I always wonder if this is the end of losing weight for me.

Not to mention I am afraid I stretched my pouch out b/c I had to drink a bunch of liquids for a CAT scan 2 weeks ago and my belly has felt funny ever since.

Does anyone know if you can stretch your pouch just over one incident?

Extremely emotional right now in pa....:(

:unsure: So darn frustrated, almost a 2 month stall, was this surgery really worth it I wonder. Not losing, not gaining with in a 5 pound range. Can't exercise due to physical health problems, guess I will just have to starve once again, or perhaps go back to liquids????????? Wondering if Hyper-parathyroid is the problem?

Edited by Mamabearljk

I wish this thread was "required reading" for everyone on this board before they even post the first time LOL

I am living proof that YES, you most likely WILL stall just after surgery. I entered into a FIVE WEEK STALL just three weeks post op. It was extremely frustrating, I thought for sure the surgery wasn't going to work, but IT DOES. Your body goes into 'freak out mode' because of the VERY VERY drastic changes in diet, in your system, everything.

It WILL be ok!!!