mistymee

To those of you freaked out about Stalls-UPDATED

SageBrush,

Welcome to my world! I've gone through the exact thing, only I had a hysterectomy more than 20 years ago, so that's not my issue! LOL

My doc said to make sure I drink my water, eat between 800-1000 calories and 80g protein. It's difficult to do, and yet that stupid scale is still not moving. I am walking 20+ minutes per day, and visiting the gym to work on the weight machines 3 days each week. It DOES get depressing, doesn't it!!!

I know you aren't going to like this answer but I think you need to add more to your cardio work now. At 200 pounds you should be able to intensify this and should really be doing a minimum of hard 30-40 mins a day of cardio. I try to do 3 miles but I make sure to do at least 2 hard miles with either speed of hill work or both on my treadmill each day, in addition to tennis or mucking stalls or walking or swimming at the beach.

I think you should bump up your exercise and really push your self right now-at your stage, you should be losing-your body really has not had time to adjust. I was doing two to three hours most days of hard exercise and although excessive-you will find that most people who are successful are always moving, moving, moving. And many post op people become personal trainers because we must be total gym rats to keep the weight off. I am not suggesting that you do that but for the next six months I think you need to ramp it up and you should also find you can eat more then. I am usually very hungry after exercising so I drink a protein shake and then after if I am still hungry I can have some good food.

800 Calories is too little and your body may be stalled due to this as well. 800 calories for the first few months is fine but after about 6 months, you need more fuel.

I would suggest you eat -drink 1200-1400 calories and at least five days a week do 45 minutes of hard cardio. I think you will find the scale sliding south a bit more.

Weight training is fabulous for toning but at this point, cardio is the thing that will take the weight off and keep your metabolism working for you.

By the way, not to sound like a voice of doom because so many people here are totally successful in getting off every extra ounce of weight but the surgeons consider it a success if we get 60% of our excess weight off and keep it off and for some of us that still has us in the obese category! Unfortunately not all of us get to be thin due to the surgery...

By the way, not to sound like a voice of doom because so many people here are totally successful in getting off every extra ounce of weight but the surgeons consider it a success if we get 60% of our excess weight off and keep it off and for some of us that still has us in the obese category! Unfortunately not all of us get to be thin due to the surgery...

Unfortunately, this is just too true. My doc considered me a raging success when I got down to about 220.. I was not too happy about that, I tell ya. :/

STALLS. Oh how I hate thee.

First off, let me say, I stalled at like 4 weeks out from surgery. That stall lasted 25 days. 25 days of pure hell, wondering if I was doomed to fail at this yada yada yada. I have hit MANY stalls since that one. Thankfully none of them have been that long. I have deduced this....After hitting a pretty hefty stall EVERY month since surgery, I say this:

I fully believe it has everything to do with our bodies having to 'catch up' with the weight loss. When we are losing weight, by the methods we are given (much reduced calorie intake, high protein, low carb, etc) it is unconventional. Our bodies don't know how to react because it's not "normal". Hence the stalls. I'm sure there are many different factors that can play into a stall, no matter how long or short. Eating too few calories. Eating too many calories. Eating too many carbs. Not exercising enough. Then just plain old "my body has to catch up with itself".

I try not to stress my stalls these days. So far, I've continued losing after each one. I just ended a 2+ week stall this week, and continued losing at a pretty decent pace. Just keep following our plans....the weight will come off!!!

While I am really really really wanting to make it to (or at least very close to) goal weight, I told my mom the other day that even if I didn't lose another pound, that the surgery was worth it. I am still obese, yes. But my diabetes is gone. I can walk from the car to the entrance of the store without feeling like I'm going to die. I can play with my family. I can run errands and not be totally exhausted by 2pm. I can bend up and down and pick things up off the floor without feeling like my head is going to explode. I can buy cute clothes in a decent size from pretty much anywhere. THOSE things all make it worth it!!!

So for those of you freaked out about stalls. Try not to stress it too much. That in itself can trigger or prolong a stall!!!! Just track your weigh ins and look for the downward trends. That's what we all hope for and strive for :)

ONWARD AND DOWNWARD!!!

Hearing everybody else saying they had stall s dpes not make me feel any better. I keep thinking I will not continue to lose and that I will be the one that the surgery does not work.. I gained and loss the same 3 lbs for 2 weeks. It made me very upset. I finally loss 2 lbs. We are suppose to loss the most of our weight durnig the first 6 months following surgery. I have loss 35 lbs. and it has been 9 weeks. My nurse practitioner said the more you weigh the faster you will lose. She said this was normal for someone in my weight category. I just wish I could lose faster.

This is all very interesting to me. I have been in a stall for two weeks. The first one I've experienced and I am 3months out.I haven't lost nearly as much as I wanted (I am 7lbs over my goal) but I am on target with the surgeon (he does know best). It seemed like when I increased my cardio here came the stall. When I wasn't working out at all I was losing rapidly, now that I am doing more, I am not losing at all. I have to attribute it to gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. I am an inch loser. I will lose inches and not lose one lb. Two weeks ago i lost 3lbs and 5.5inches. I am down 35lbs since surgery but I have lost 45 inches across my entire body. I guess the good thing about not losing as rapidly is that I have absolutely NO access, hanging skin. I have no jiggle at all. Its all tight. Since this journey began, I went from a size 22 to a size 16 in 3 months. I haven't been a 16 since before I turned 30. I am not winded when I walk or always tired. My diabetes, while not completely gone (which is why I had the surgery) its better than its been in 10 years and I am off all meds. I am getting married in exactly one year and if I can lose just 2 more dress sizes and have my A1C in normal range, I will be happy. I am learning not to get discouraged but to count my blessings. I am here to spend another day with my family!!! :D

Ahhh.....welcome to my 3 week stall phase. I'm on a losing run for 3 weeks, stall for 3 weeks pattern! Doing tons of cardio, eating well, taking vitamins....getting fluid in. Everyone says its better to lose at a slower pace in the long run. It will help you to keep it off. But gosh, you get awfully spoiled when you have a run where you lose 15 lbs in two weeks! Lol.....

So happy to be feeling better and looking better. But I've still got 100 lbs to go til I reach my goal weight, so I'm keeping off the scale (really, I am) and keeping up with my program.

Good luck to all the pokey losers out there! I know how you feel, and I know it doesn't last forever! So hang in there :P

I've hit my first stall :\ I've been the same weight for the past week. I have started doing a lot more at the gym, with both weights and cardio, and I'm close to ~that time of the month~ so I am really hoping it is just that. It gets a little discouraging though, but I'm not going to let myself react to it the way I did before I had the surgery.

I've hit my first stall :\ I've been the same weight for the past week. I have started doing a lot more at the gym, with both weights and cardio, and I'm close to ~that time of the month~ so I am really hoping it is just that. It gets a little discouraging though, but I'm not going to let myself react to it the way I did before I had the surgery.

Me too. Hoping it's also related to the time of the month.

I've been on a 3-week stall myself.....I'm frustrated but like a previous poster stated, I too lose more inches than weight. I'm happy with the inches but I still want the scale to move. I'm staying off the scale for awhile because the lack of movement bothers me! :(

I just wanted to add my voice to the stall dilemma :)

I had my first stall in the hospital :blink: Since then I've been the queen of plateaux. Of course, for the first few months I would lose 10 lbs in a week and then nothing for 2 weeks, etc., etc. My first long stall of over a month was at about 10 weeks. It's hard to accept it, I know. But now - 11 months out - I'm used to it. I hadn't lost any weight for 6 weeks, in fact I'd gone up a pound for most of that time, although I was good with diet and exercise. Then, in the last week, I've lost 4 lbs. YAY!

FTR, my nutritionist says that she deems surgery a success as soon as the patient/client goes below BMI 30. She says that takes away so many co-morbidities that BMI 25 would be wonderful, but BMI 30 is healthy :)

As of today, I'm BMI 26 :) I'm going for 25 before I see my surgeon at my year's check-up (4 weeks away). At surgery, my BMI was 49.5.

However, I now know how my own body works, and I can continue being well-behaved with exercise and food and it is entirely possible that I won't lose another pound *sigh* I'm giving myself until Christmas to be at my goal (self-imposed goal of 146 lbs).

Edited by Juno

Yup, the stalls suck! I'm starting week 4 of one this week and I'm only 5 weeks post-op! Yes, it's frustrating but what's even more frustrating is the scale has gone up by 3 lbs. I have to get even better with the protein (I'm averaging around 60-70 gms/day) and I know my calories are fine (700-800/day) but I think I need to start doing what another poster said which is change things up a bit. I think changing some exercise and what I eat can only help. I take my measurements but was only doing it once per month since I started my pre-op diet in Feb 2011. I think I'll ditch the scale and start doing the measurements once per week. Of course it will be hard to give up the scale (talk about addiction transference!) but I'll try.

Good luck to all the stallers out there. I right there with ya!

What I like about this thread is looking at the older posts and where they were late last year, and then at the current weights. Eases my mind to know that when the dreaded stalls hit, it IS temporary for the most part.

Well, I think I may have hit my first "stall". I'm not sure if it is even a stall or not. I gained two pounds over the course of four days. I haven't done anything different, I've been keeping with the same diet. I haven't done much exercise since my surgery (bad I know, but I have had some medical issues that have prevented it). The only thing I can wonder is possibly I have a kidney infection and I am possibly retaining water or something from that and the antibiotics. I am still freaked out! I have steadily been losing weight since my surgery. It's definitely kicked my butt into working out, despite the fact that I am supposed to be taking it easy according to my rheumatologist and pcp (I'm having some flares and other issues like I said) so I got on my WiiFit Plus today for a very short time and now I'm sore as all get out. I wish I had the money to get a gym membership because the weather has been terrible for walking and if I am paying for something it would be more incentive to go. Has anyone else had weight gain during a stall? Should I be worried about it? I am panicking that I stretched my pouch or that I am going to keep gaining weight! I see my surgeon next week and I don't want her to say anything negative to me like she always does.

Loved reading through all of this info...I'm pushing through this no matter what!!!

EDITED AGAIN. Tag Search is no longer a function of the new forum we have now, sadly.

But if you go to the advanced search and search on the word 'stall' and click 'search titles only, you'll find many. One that many have said has helped them was my first (or second?) post here titled "Frustrated and depressed"

Sorry that the tags are gone, we've lost a huge, valuable resource by not having all those tagged posts (on all types of topics- various vitamin issues, complications, being cold all the time, etc... and stalls are a big concern.. :/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've tagged a boat load of posts regarding stalling.. there is a lot of reading available here and really, honestly and truly, there is no need to freak out..

Remember that weight loss will be fairly 'steady' the first 8 to 10 months and then slow down. However it is NOT going to be as continuous later as it is the first few weeks/months. You could equate the loss with a long staircase with multiple platforms that you'll be stopping and resting on along the way.

Anyway, for further reading for those of you that are worried about the stalls, here is a link with all the discussions that've been tagged "Stall". I hope these help alleviate your fears that something is wrong.

EDITED...I dunno what's going on with that? I tested it both times.. but link won't seem to work,

.... SO.. never mind my link.. here is what you can do to find them:

Go to the ADVANCED search function at the upper right hand side of the screen and in the right hand side of that page, second box down it says to search for tags.. do a search on the tag "STALL" and any post that has been tagged with that word will show up in a list.

I'm really sorry I don't know why that link won't work but it worked this morning!... that is how you can find the stall posts.

LOVE IT!! I think we should all take the time to look back at this thread a year from now.... This is how my first 15 weeks has gone...

week 1: I was in the hospital the entire week, when I got home, I was 1 lb heavier than when I checked in

7 days later I had lost *about* 7-8 lbs...

then from week 2 through week 3.5 I lost 26 lbs...

thus ending my loss at 33 lbs for month 1...

from week 3.5 through week 6.5/7 I went UP 2-3lbs... didn't lose a dang pound for OVER 3 weeks and I was only 3.5 wks out!!

then week 6.5-8.5 I lost approx 20ish lbs... so I got to lose pretty fast for about 2 weeks...

then another stall, week 8.5-11.5 UP another 2-3lbs no loss

then DOWN I went again... I am not sure exactly since I finally realized about stalls so didn't pay that much attention, but it was about another 10 lbs

then another 10day-2 week stall,

and I have lost 10 lbs in another week, and

now I am up 1-2 lbs again... taking a day or so to breath easy, and then back at it!...

I have found that upping my water intake, protein intake and exercise "shortens" the stalls from 3+ weeks to 1.5-2 weeks... but they don't go away all together, they still happen... but guess what?

At 15 weeks out I am down 66lbs with an average of about 4.4lbs of loss per week (by math not by actually losing each week) which is AMAZING and on regular diets they say 1-2 lbs a week is great... 4.4 is more than double!!... I love seeing starting weights when everyone was worried about stalls and then weights now... Hang in there!!

If you want to change something, you have to be the change you want to see.

When you are in a stall your body believes 1 of 2 things, there is a famine or there is a drought. It's all science people.

Therefor you must do 2 things;

1. Increase non caloric, non sugar fluid intake from your usual norms

2. Increase your calories per meal by 100

Do this for 3-5 days and your stall will break. When your stall breaks go back to your normal earting/drinking patterns. If your stall should occur again, repeat the above instructions.

I did not experience many stalls, if at all. Why? Because I ate 5-6 times a day and sip, sip, sipped in between those times. I hit 100 weight loss goal by month 4. Just some tips from someone who walked the walk.

Good luck y'all!

Edited by bridgetgirl

Wow, finding these posts even though they are old is so encouraging. I thought it was just me. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It's a huge help and gives me hope that I will start losing again.

I know you aren't going to like this answer but I think you need to add more to your cardio work now. At 200 pounds you should be able to intensify this and should really be doing a minimum of hard 30-40 mins a day of cardio. I try to do 3 miles but I make sure to do at least 2 hard miles with either speed of hill work or both on my treadmill each day, in addition to tennis or mucking stalls or walking or swimming at the beach.

I think you should bump up your exercise and really push your self right now-at your stage, you should be losing-your body really has not had time to adjust. I was doing two to three hours most days of hard exercise and although excessive-you will find that most people who are successful are always moving, moving, moving. And many post op people become personal trainers because we must be total gym rats to keep the weight off. I am not suggesting that you do that but for the next six months I think you need to ramp it up and you should also find you can eat more then. I am usually very hungry after exercising so I drink a protein shake and then after if I am still hungry I can have some good food.

800 Calories is too little and your body may be stalled due to this as well. 800 calories for the first few months is fine but after about 6 months, you need more fuel.

I would suggest you eat -drink 1200-1400 calories and at least five days a week do 45 minutes of hard cardio. I think you will find the scale sliding south a bit more.

Weight training is fabulous for toning but at this point, cardio is the thing that will take the weight off and keep your metabolism working for you.

I never imagined 800 could be considered low for a bypass person. Encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

I have found that upping my water intake, protein intake and exercise "shortens" the stalls from 3+ weeks to 1.5-2 weeks... but they don't go away all together, they still happen... but guess what?

Great strategy. I'm going to try this and see if it helps. I have a hard time getting in 60 grams of protein a day. I have to eat a banana because my potassium is way low. And I'm searching for more than benefiber because (TMI) my bum is killing me! Lol. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, Post-op -after about 6-8 months your body normalizes quite a bit and you should be increasing your exercise and increasing your caloric intake as the amount of food you are able and wanting to eat will also unfortunately increase.

Most people have a honeymoon period after surgery where your body is losing weight at a considerable speed. Take full advantage of this time period. Mine only lasted about 12 months and not the usual 18 months. At 12 months I had to start dieting and working out like a manic and that is just to maintain.

It is a double edged sword-you can eat more food but you can also regain weight!

Yes, Post-op -after about 6-8 months your body normalizes quite a bit and you should be increasing your exercise and increasing your caloric intake as the amount of food you are able and wanting to eat will also unfortunately increase.

Most people have a honeymoon period after surgery where your body is losing weight at a considerable speed. Take full advantage of this time period. Mine only lasted about 12 months and not the usual 18 months. At 12 months I had to start dieting and working out like a manic and that is just to maintain.

It is a double edged sword-you can eat more food but you can also regain weight!

Just got off a 3 week stall and ya know what stopped it? Upping my calories, can you believe it? I was eating 900-950 a day at 9 months out and my doc said that was way too low....to increase to 1200, so I did and lost 2 pounds that next week! WOW!

Nancy :D

What I like about this thread is looking at the older posts and where they were late last year, and then at the current weights. Eases my mind to know that when the dreaded stalls hit, it IS temporary for the most part.

I was just reading through and thinking the exact same thing. People who were freaking out about only losing 30lbs. or being stalled for 6 weeks are now over 100lbs. down or have met or surpassed their goal six months later!

It's reassuring and I haven't even had surgery yet!

I see all the stalls from a year ago and see where those people are now and see that they do overcome the stalls so this post is for my future self. I lost 15 pounds the 1st week out of the hospital and now for the last 2 weeks absolutely nothing. I am a bit frustrated but hope to look back on this post and laugh!