mistymee

To those of you freaked out about Stalls-UPDATED

I'm almost 5 months out and I've noticed I consistently lose for 3 weeks then semi stall for 3 weeks. It's bizarre. I don't change my eating habits during either phase so I tend to believe everyone who says stalls are just your body adjusting. And I notice during stalls my body shape changes, like my face will look thinner. That being said, even though I know what's going on I still freak out/cry/get angry/yell at the scale/call my sister everytime it happens. "This is it, I'm not going to lose anymore, I'm stuck this way forever, it didn't work" And my sister always says, that's what you said 100 pounds ago, stop whining.

I'm almost 5 months out and I've noticed I consistently lose for 3 weeks then semi stall for 3 weeks. It's bizarre. I don't change my eating habits during either phase so I tend to believe everyone who says stalls are just your body adjusting. And I notice during stalls my body shape changes, like my face will look thinner. That being said, even though I know what's going on I still freak out/cry/get angry/yell at the scale/call my sister everytime it happens. "This is it, I'm not going to lose anymore, I'm stuck this way forever, it didn't work" And my sister always says, that's what you said 100 pounds ago, stop whining.

This is pretty much the way it's gone for me. I'm 10 months out now, and the losses are smaller, but the pattern is still the same - lose, lose, lose, stall, stall, stall. And I, too, notice my body changes a lot during those stalls. Just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean nothing's happening!

That's me too - I lose for a couple of weeks and then I see-saw up and down (as much as 3 lbs) for a couple of weeks and then down I go again. I'm resigned to it now - especially as I've now lost more than I thought I would in the timeframe. But I know how frustrating it is.

My NUT was just telling me that if i get a stall i need to have 'one off day' where i have 'real food' maybe even pizza, real pizza...... because my body is stabilizing to what i eat and if i eat something very off the routine it will give it a shock.. but to be careful not to do more than one off day per week because i'm just going the wrong way.. i havent tried pizza or anything but it made me smile that she said that, because i love the idea of omg the scale is not moving, let me get some pizza.... lol it seems wrong but yeah

I think at 3 weeks post-surgery I still weighed more than when I checked into the hospital :rolleyes: Then it started :) And I'm sure it will for you too :)

I'm getting so depressed that I could just sit down and cry. Even my doctor said I should have lost more weight than I have since my surgery on Oct. 18th. I'm doing everything I'm told, eating what I'm told, counting calories and counting protein... And over the last week I've increased my walking and GAINED 2 pounds! I lost more during my 10 day liquid diet before surgery than I have since surgery. Something's not right...

Okay- so lets look at a few things and see whats what.

How much are you drinking? And does what you drink have calories? Are you getting the MINIMUM of 64oz of non-caloric fluid (the calorie thing may not be a huge issue for some but for others it can be)

How much are you eating? What is the breakdown of protein.. complex carbs, simple carbs?

And more likely than not, you may not be getting ENOUGH in at this stage of the game, not that you're getting TOO much. So.. this is why I'm asking these questions..

What is your activity level?

And lastly, some studies have shown that those who take probiotics daily lose more after WLS than those that do not.

I remember how frustrating those 5 weeks of no loss were for me, so early out..(easy to remember since I'm still annoyed and frustrated by my 'process')..

But it is so very, very rare for one to not lose weight after WLS and I'm sure that if you can get things sorted out it will move.

If you don't know the numbers of what you're getting in, try logging your intake on a site like any of these:

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

Burn Fat, Lose Weight, and Gain Muscle - DailyBurn

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

Good luck.

I'm now 6 weeks post-op.... The week before surgery I lost 5 pounds..... then I lost another 14 lbs during the first 2 weeks..... BUT, for the last 4 weeks I've not lost 1 lb, in fact some days I'm up 3 lbs. I've been doing my treadmill every day working off at least 150 - 250 cals/day and I'm drinking at least 64 oz water daily.... As far as I can tell I'm getting in close to 60g protein every day. To say I'm highly discouraged at this point would be putting it lightly :( I've been a Diet-er most my life, this certainly isn't the first time I've eaten 'so little' I'm assuming at this point that my body has a 'unique' metabolism... That, just as when I starved myself in the past and had not lost weight then, that the same will happen for me after this surgery as well, that I won't loose weight as I'm 'suppose' to... My family had all wondered about me having this surgery bec' they had always seen me on diets and watching what I eat, and I had been worried about this myself, but felt it was my last option to get the weight off..... I'm okay, I'm sticking with the diet no matter what, nothing to change my will to work with this surgery, but it is starting to really have an affect on me emotionally... SURELY, there must be some people out there who have had this done and followed the diet and have only lost minimal weight...

:confused: Would my mensies have anything to do with it ? I'm going through menopause... I've had my cycle now for the last 21 days, and before that much the same.....

Any advice, wisdom would be greatly appreciated ! ! !

SageBrush,

Welcome to my world! I've gone through the exact thing, only I had a hysterectomy more than 20 years ago, so that's not my issue! LOL

My doc said to make sure I drink my water, eat between 800-1000 calories and 80g protein. It's difficult to do, and yet that stupid scale is still not moving. I am walking 20+ minutes per day, and visiting the gym to work on the weight machines 3 days each week. It DOES get depressing, doesn't it!!!

I'm now 6 weeks post-op.... The week before surgery I lost 5 pounds..... then I lost another 14 lbs during the first 2 weeks..... BUT, for the last 4 weeks I've not lost 1 lb, in fact some days I'm up 3 lbs. I've been doing my treadmill every day working off at least 150 - 250 cals/day and I'm drinking at least 64 oz water daily.... As far as I can tell I'm getting in close to 60g protein every day. To say I'm highly discouraged at this point would be putting it lightly :( I've been a Diet-er most my life, this certainly isn't the first time I've eaten 'so little' I'm assuming at this point that my body has a 'unique' metabolism... That, just as when I starved myself in the past and had not lost weight then, that the same will happen for me after this surgery as well, that I won't loose weight as I'm 'suppose' to... My family had all wondered about me having this surgery bec' they had always seen me on diets and watching what I eat, and I had been worried about this myself, but felt it was my last option to get the weight off..... I'm okay, I'm sticking with the diet no matter what, nothing to change my will to work with this surgery, but it is starting to really have an affect on me emotionally... SURELY, there must be some people out there who have had this done and followed the diet and have only lost minimal weight...

Any advice, wisdom would be greatly appreciated ! ! !

My advice: quit weighing yourself everyday. Give up on the numbers on the scale and focus your attention on living a healthly lifestyle. Stalls are a totally normal part of the process and if you put too much foscus on the scale, you'll lose sight of what's really important. Spend time making sure you're getting your daily protein, water, etc (remember, you're not supposed to be "starving" yourself). Spend time focusing on all the goals you've set for yourself that are not weight-related. Work on increasing your endurance, trying new exercises besides the treadmill, or finding new hobbies or anything that keeps your mind off the scale. Embrace this time when your appetite is low to learn new, healthy habits that you take carry with you the rest of your life.

Stalls are frustrating, but to be expected and you can expect to have a lot more of them over the next year. Our bodies fluctuate from day to day, so there's really no point in weighing more than once a week - it's not an accurate depiction of what's going on. Relax about it, stress only makes it worse.

Mistymee,

You are everywhere on this forum and I love to read your post's your a Book Of Knowledge!

Thank You for all your support!

Mistymee,

You are everywhere on this forum and I love to read your post's your a Book Of Knowledge!

Thank You for all your support!

You're welcome hon.

I'm not sure if the tag searches work with this new forum or not.. I haven't heard back yet.

I had gastric bypass surgery on September 23, 2010. I was 338 the day of surgery and now I weigh 251 and can't seem to lose anymore weight. I am frustrated because I was losing before 2-4 pounds a week before I had my gallbladder removed. I had a gallbladder attack towards the beginning of February and minor pain during the night but nothing major. I had to go to my surgeon and followup after ER visit and she suggested I have my gallbladder removed. I had it removed on 02/23/2011 and after I had it removed I am not losing weight anymore. The actual day of surgery I was 252 and I actually gained three pounds after surgery and weighed 255. I don't know why I am not losing weight. I am still eating the same foods I used to and I still go to the gym about 3-5 times a week. Did anyone go through this before? I had heard from co-workers and friends that never had WLS but had their gallbladder removed that they gained weight after surgery. I am frustrated because my weight loss has stalled and it seems like other people have lost ALOT more weight than I have in fewer time as well.

i had surgey on dec 23 2010 i lost 25p before surgery and i have lost 60 p since but in the last week i have not lost any i do walk but that is all of the excerise i get i know that i need to step it up but my knees hurt alot is this normal to be stalled with being only 3 months out

Do an advanced forum search on the word stall and you'll see it's perfectly normal. Just keep following the program and you'll be fine.

It's so funny how things work out sometimes. I was feeling the same way many of the posters stated.........freaked because my weight is up then down. Before my WLS (3/2/11) I did not own a scale (too depressing), but of course I broke down and purchased a really good one, and now it's like an addiction. I will do exactly what was suggested. Weigh once a week and be done with it. I have lost 20lbs since surgery date, so I am not complaining, but was concerned about this new stall. I'm going to stay focused, relax and enjoy the new ride. I'm right on track with water/protein/cals & exercise, so I just have to let my body catch up to my mind !!!

It's so wonderful to read that others have the same fears and frustrations and yet others who can ease those with their encourage words.

THANK YOU TT MEMBERS !!!

Thanks so much for this post!

I agree that not all doctors who perform WLS prepare their patients well.

I was sent home with instructions to eat mashed potatoes with dry milk powder and ground meat mixed in with no vegetables for 3 months, take two flintstone vitamins a day, and told that I needed to lose 75% of my excess weight in the first 6 months. I had been reading multiple books regarding nutrition after WLS and revised the center's diet plan and brought my Celebrate vitamins to my first post surgical visit - the (very trim) doctor approved it but rolled his eyes at the vitamins saying that someone was making a lot of money off foolish WLS patients (I ignored this, still take Celebrate - I can tell the difference!) but he okayed my diet plan and the vitamins.

I am so grateful to have found this site and read all of the books I could lay my hands on before the surgery, but when I hit my first stall (weeks 8-12 post surgery) I really started to panic. I read some more (Kaye Bailey's books) and realized that I had been avoiding anything that made my pouch feel tight because the discomfort made me feel like something was wrong - when it was really the reason we all have the surgery to begin with: to feel fuller with a smaller amount of food.

I'm thankfull for you and all of the other "seasoned vets" of WLS for giving us all access to your knowledge and compassion as we work through this.

Thanks again

Ahh....in my first stall since surgery. I've lost 30 lbs, so no complaints here! And I know that this is part of the journey....well at least now I know from the great advice from all the TT Zen Masters!!

I'm so happy I made this decision. I'm feeling great, exercising, handling my food and fluids well for a change. And I've lost inches like crazy.

So....I need to put my talking scale away for a bit, and concentrate on how I feel and keep doing all the right things.

Thanks again Kel and all the veterans out there....you are a godsend to us newbies!! :P:D

Edited by redsoxgoddess

Thanks again Kel and all the veterans out there....you are a godsend to us newbies!! :P:D

You're welcome, sweetie.. I appreciate it!

FINALLY lost 1 pound after a 3+ week stall....I did change one thing; I ate totally differently for a couple of days. I stayed on program but I have a tendency to eat the same thing for days or weeks (I think I feel more in control). Here's what I mean...

I usually have cottage cheese for breakfast - I change to scrambled egg

I usually have tuna salad for lunch - I changed to chili

I usually have baked chicken for dinner - I changed to very lean ground beef

I also added about 100 calories a day (I have been walking a lot) and some folks suggested I am not eating enough.

SO - just a thought. When I am in a stall I am open to new ideas.....maybe this will help someone.

Hoping tomorrow the scales say ANOTHER -1 :)

Robin

Edited by ncblueyes

I'm about 9 weeks out and I've stalled in the last 10-14 days. I go up a pound or down a pound but nothing like before. I'm back to work now and getting more water in, moving a little more, and starting to eat a little more thankfully. I could barely get in 300 calories before I came back to work. I'm also like another poster that mentioned she eats the same thing. Greek Yogurt for breakfast, lunchmeat & string cheese for lunch and beans & chicken (or fish) for dinner.

I'm trying to keep the big picture in focus...53 pounds lost...22 inches gone...dropping 2 clothing sizes...but I didn't think it would all come to a screeching halt so soon.

I'm about 9 weeks out and I've stalled in the last 10-14 days. I go up a pound or down a pound but nothing like before. I'm back to work now and getting more water in, moving a little more, and starting to eat a little more thankfully. I could barely get in 300 calories before I came back to work. I'm also like another poster that mentioned she eats the same thing. Greek Yogurt for breakfast, lunchmeat & string cheese for lunch and beans & chicken (or fish) for dinner.

I'm trying to keep the big picture in focus...53 pounds lost...22 inches gone...dropping 2 clothing sizes...but I didn't think it would all come to a screeching halt so soon.

Be patient, your body is recovering from major surgery and it needs to rest along the weight loss journey. You'll be losing again before you know it.

I know it's normal and I know everyone posts about it, but I am freaked out anyways! 9 weeks out and hitting a stall. I am thrilled to have lost 50 lbs, but am in no way done. The ironic thing is that I just started excersizing in earnest and then the stall hit. Any advice to get the scale moving again? :blink:

I know it's normal and I know everyone posts about it, but I am freaked out anyways! 9 weeks out and hitting a stall. I am thrilled to have lost 50 lbs, but am in no way done. The ironic thing is that I just started excersizing in earnest and then the stall hit. Any advice to get the scale moving again? :blink:

Exactly what happened to me..started working out with weights and paying close attention to how many cals burned on treadmill...then stall. I know I am toning...size 16's getting looser..it's just mind game. I want the scale to move as well.

After stalling, I spoke with a nurse that runs a support group and she advised me to mix up my routine. Just like you use muscle confusion during gym work outs, do the same with your eating. Try to keep your body off balance. Don't eat the samethings everyday and try to vary your calorie intake. For example, try a little bit higher calorie intake for a few days, then go back to your normal calorie intake, this is supposed to confuse your metabolism and helps take it out of "survival mode". I tried it and it my scale started to move again (downward!). Good luck!