mistymee

To those of you freaked out about Stalls-UPDATED

EDITED AGAIN. Tag Search is no longer a function of the new forum we have now, sadly.

But if you go to the advanced search and search on the word 'stall' and click 'search titles only, you'll find many. One that many have said has helped them was my first (or second?) post here titled "Frustrated and depressed"

Sorry that the tags are gone, we've lost a huge, valuable resource by not having all those tagged posts (on all types of topics- various vitamin issues, complications, being cold all the time, etc... and stalls are a big concern.. :/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've tagged a boat load of posts regarding stalling.. there is a lot of reading available here and really, honestly and truly, there is no need to freak out..

Remember that weight loss will be fairly 'steady' the first 8 to 10 months and then slow down. However it is NOT going to be as continuous later as it is the first few weeks/months. You could equate the loss with a long staircase with multiple platforms that you'll be stopping and resting on along the way.

Anyway, for further reading for those of you that are worried about the stalls, here is a link with all the discussions that've been tagged "Stall". I hope these help alleviate your fears that something is wrong.

EDITED...I dunno what's going on with that? I tested it both times.. but link won't seem to work,

.... SO.. never mind my link.. here is what you can do to find them:

Go to the ADVANCED search function at the upper right hand side of the screen and in the right hand side of that page, second box down it says to search for tags.. do a search on the tag "STALL" and any post that has been tagged with that word will show up in a list.

I'm really sorry I don't know why that link won't work but it worked this morning!... that is how you can find the stall posts.

Edited by mistymee
add tags

thanks for the support on the stalls.. iam doin what i am supposed to except the excercise iam still so tired... i am not even 3 weeks post op vertical sleeve so i wil try harder

thanks for the support on the stalls.. iam doin what i am supposed to except the excercise iam still so tired... i am not even 3 weeks post op vertical sleeve so i wil try harder

So early out, probably all the exercise you need to worry about is walking. I was told nothing more strenuous than walking for six weeks.

Kelly

:( Your link didnt work for me

You're welcome hon... honest to pete.. I see how upset and frustrated people are and I remember being there myself (see "Frustrated and Depressed) and early out there is no reason to stress over this at all..

I mentioned in another thread that look at weight loss early out as a long spiral staircase with multiple platforms along the way where your body is resting and recovering from the previous drops.. and that the trip down that staircase will be faster in some spots and slower in others and when you get to that resting platform know that your body is gearing up for the next trip down. This is all such a huge shock to our bodies and there is little reason to get stressed mentally about it.

I know it's normal, but I wish people wouldn't put themselves through it... I also wish the medical team was more clear about how this journey works, too. I feel they don't really prepare people as well as they should :(

Oops.. that first link didn't work, but it does now, sorry! It's here too:

ThinnerTimes - Gastric Bypass Forum, Lap Band Forum, and Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum - Search Results

I checked it, it does work, but if for some reason, it stops working and you find out, please let me know and I'll update it okay? Thanks!

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Bummer - I was looking forward to some reading! :D

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Bummer - I was looking forward to some reading! :D

I dunno what's going on with that? I tested it both times..

OKAY- SO.. never mind my link.. here is what you can do to find them:

Go to the ADVANCED search function at the upper right hand side of the screen and in the right hand side of that page, second box down it says to search for tags.. do a search on the tag "STALL" and any post that has been tagged with that word will show up in a list.

I'm really sorry I don't know why that link won't work but it worked this morning!... that is how you can find the stall posts.

mistymee.. that is so very kind of you.. thanks...i feel better knowing there so much support!

mistymee.. that is so very kind of you.. thanks...i feel better knowing there so much support!

You're welcome hon... I do hope those threads help alleviate people's fears... I remember how frustrated I felt when I made my orig. post that is tagged..

Thanks again your staircase example made all the sense in the world I feel great now honestly....I :cool:am resting right now on a platform getting ready to start going down those stairs again... whooo hooo

Thanks again your staircase example made all the sense in the world I feel great now honestly....I :cool:am resting right now on a platform getting ready to start going down those stairs again... whooo hooo

You got it hon! Rest away.. the trip is a real wild ride!! :)

Removed the link but the 1st post has how to find the 'stall' posts. I do hope that more people will find these reassuring.

I LOVE the concept of "resting" on the landing in between bursts of stair-climbing. For some reason, that's such a reassuring idea. Stalls are frustrating, but it totally makes sense to me that it's just my body recovering from fits of rapid weight loss. Thanks, Kel!

Ok...my question is..how long does a stall last until you know there is a problem you need to see your doctor about or that you've stopped losing all together. I have been the EXACT weight since July 12th. I get my protein in, Im active and drink tons of WATER...I mean tons. Yesterday I had 120 oz.

Ok...my question is..how long does a stall last until you know there is a problem you need to see your doctor about or that you've stopped losing all together. I have been the EXACT weight since July 12th. I get my protein in, Im active and drink tons of WATER...I mean tons. Yesterday I had 120 oz.

My first stall lasted almost six weeks, and I was only two weeks out when that started so I wouldn't worry yet. But you know.. you could be done.. time will tell. I stopped losing at a higher weight than you are now... your body might like where you are, you know? I would just stick with the program, make sure you're not eating junky type of carbs, grazing or drinking with meals..., etc..

My first stall lasted almost six weeks, and I was only two weeks out when that started so I wouldn't worry yet. But you know.. you could be done.. time will tell. I stopped losing at a higher weight than you are now... your body might like where you are, you know? I would just stick with the program, make sure you're not eating junky type of carbs, grazing or drinking with meals..., etc..

If Im done losing....I will be a very unhappy camper. :mad:

U were right I lost 3 lbs in the last 3 days after a 10 day stall.......weird but cool Ok i am happy now....

If Im done losing....I will be a very unhappy camper. :mad:

tell me about it. But make sure you're following the rules.. have your labwork checked out too. I found out that my so called 'stall' really IS a thyroid issue.. which- cool, perhaps there is a solution.. but.... then.. what if there isn't? My sister's thyroid meds have caused her to GAIN even more weight, scares me to be honest.. I have a lot of 'what ifs'? You know? So I get where you're coming from!

Edited by mistymee

I did have my thyroid checked so i am good so far

Ansley- my surgeon told me that based on my preop #s.. 272lbs & 5'5... I should expect by following all the rules & doing what i'm told will get me to 170lbs. If i want to make it to my 140 goal it wil be all me.. (diet & exercise.) I think 170 will feel great but I plan to work hard to get to 140. You look great btw!

Ansley- my surgeon told me that based on my preop #s.. 272lbs & 5'5... I should expect by following all the rules & doing what i'm told will get me to 170lbs. If i want to make it to my 140 goal it wil be all me.. (diet & exercise.) I think 170 will feel great but I plan to work hard to get to 140. You look great btw!

Well, yes and no... diet and exercise *should* work, yes. However, if you find that you are doing all that your medical team tells you to be doing and the weight still is stuck after a few months then you need to get them to investigate further. It's what I ended up needing to do. I don't think my situation is too common but it's not exactly freakishly rare either, I don't think (I hope, anyway! LOL)

I had the surgery on Nov. 12th and have not lost more than about 2 lbs since I checked in to the hospital. I am terrified that this surgery is not working for me.

I am not having more than 500 calories a day and am SO upset. I am 2 weeks out and just not seeing anything happening even though I am not even eating. Trying to drink the required water and protein shakes as well as the vitamins. I am just so frustrated.

I cannot believe it. My doctor said that the body is going through all kinds of water retension etc from the IV's in the hospital putting so much fluid in you. I am just worried. Any advice? I lost more than this on Jenny Craig!!!

Stay off the scale for a few weeks to let your body heal.

You are swollen and pumped full of fluids and your system is in shock. After 4-6 weeks you should get back to a semblance of normal and start to eat some solid foods and then you can worry about the scale.

Right now concentrate on healing, sleeping, drinking as much water as you can possibly force down your gullet and in a few weeks start to push your protein and vits and minerals. The rest will take care of itself!

I'm glad I saw this post. I haven't been necessarily freaking out about my stall, but I have been frustrated because I want so badly to be in the 100s by my birthday next Tuesday.

It seems I have developed a case of tunnel vision. I can only see the number on the scale, not the big picture -- the fact that I HAVE lost 7.5 pounds over the past three weeks, the fact that I HAVE lost 49 pounds since mid-July, and the fact that I haven't been this weight in close to 10 years!

Yesterday, I decided to put my daily weights that I have been recording randomly on a piece of paper into a calendar (I can't seem to break this addiction!). It helped tremendously for me to see the big picture. I've made some drastic changes in my life, and I feel great. I'm headed in the right direction, which is something I couldn't have said five months ago. I've never felt so powerful in my life! I expect good things to come my way!