Cali Sal

Concerned....

29 posts in this topic

I wanted to give an update. I've called various doctors and found more of these "program fees" which I find to be ridiculous seeing that i'm already going to have to pay about $3000 out of pocket in deductible/co-pays. So, I contacted my insurance and they gave me the name of a couple of doctors which I have reserved spots in their seminars. Come to find out, that even though I have a PPO, I'm limited to the doctors/hospitals I can use for bariatric surgery since I live in LA county. Therefore I'm meeting with Dr. Katkhouda from USC University Hospital & Dr. Perhsson from Methodist Hospital (Pasadena). I've heard great things about both doctors, I'm just hoping I don't get denied since I don't know what requirements I need to meet. My BMI is about 46 but I don't have documented weight history past 2 years since I didn't have insurance for a few years while in college.

CaliSal.. I dont know if your open to a clinical trial and possibly being banded.. I work in clinical research trials.. and I was browsing some of the open trials and found this one that will be started in Dec... I have to tell you that the care you get as a clinical trial patient is exceptional!.. At least were I work... but the best thing is you dont pay a dime! for the surgery.. and/or follow up care.. instead "most" clinical trials pay you to complete all your study visits and procedures.. so its a positive thing!

The only thing about clinical trials is things do go by a lot faster than most surgeons offices.. but you get a lot thrown at you.. Below I have posted the link to the trial that will be available... if you want to consider looking into this type of surgery. As you will be able to see in the posting.. the trial is for 5 years.. so you will be receiving care at no cost for 5 years.. but its a limited study so you would need to pursue this really fast...

EasyBand GOAL Trial - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Good luck! :)

I have an HMO, so my co-pays were minimal.

Dr. LaPorte's offices are in Fountain Valley and they also are a Center of Excellence. They do not push any products...they simply reccomend Opti-fast for the proteim replacements and the use Bariatric Advantage supplements. Never did they actually try selling them to me. In fact, I ordered what I wanted through the internet.

You should look into them.

Surgical Weight Loss?Los Angeles and Orange County?Lite & Smart DIMENSIONS

I just wanted to point out that many surgeons have stringent requirements because it is their practice and their numbers (complication/mortality rates). They're only willing to operate under certain conditions. I don't have a problem with an MD only using specific products or only products through their office but I do have a problem with non-disclosure up front. The rules of the game should be clearly discussed up front.