Cali Sal

Concerned....

29 posts in this topic

I'm just starting my WSL journey and I came across these remarks from another post:

I was told I HAD to use THEIR programs protein powder (2 types), protein bars, vitamins, (2 types) Iron, B1, Calcium, etc. A six weeks supply. I nearly barfed my lunch when I was told the price. $450.00! I complained and was told if I didn't purchase it, surgery would be delayed until I did. In other words if I want surgery, I had to fork out the money! It made me so damn mad that none of this was mentioned before. I only have 3 more weeks until surgery and had I known about this earlier when I was first starting this journey I would have looked elsewhere! Damn!

$450.00 food pack

$3500.00 aftercare program (ins. won't cover)

$1700.00 surgeon fees insurance doesn't cover (20% of $8500.)

$140.00 for prescriptions @ insurance rate

$1387.00 I pay after ins. paid for pre-op tests

This is the same surgery center that i talked to today....should I contact another office or go through with the orientation next week? I didn't anticipate the cost to be over $7000 since my insurance covers the proceedure. Is this normal? I live in the Los Angeles area, can anyone recommend another doctor?

That seems excessive.

I thought so too, to be honest, I only expected to pay my $2200 deductible and once I hit my Co-Pay max of $3000 the rest should be covered by my insurance. Is it normal to have to pay such high fees to the surgery center itself?

My post of fee was $600.00

It really depends on which insurance you have. I have bcbs of NC I had to pay my deductible then my 20% up to 3000.00 after that the insurance paid in full. I would contact my insurance and see what they say. Best of luck. Michelle

It really depends on which insurance you have. I have bcbs of NC I had to pay my deductible then my 20% up to 3000.00 after that the insurance paid in full. I would contact my insurance and see what they say. Best of luck. Michelle

You're insurance sounds very similar to mine, Deductible of $2250 then 20% up to $3000. I'm worried the surgery will include additional fees that my insurance will not cover. Thanks for your reply.

The whole "HAVE TO" use their products seems shady to me. I'd look for another place.

Well Isn't Dr. C in San Diego? Everyone seems to adore him! He is the creator of this site. And in my OP San Deigo isn't that far to travel from LA for a great doc.

I personally think it is excessive to MAKE someone take the supplements that you are selling. There are other equally great products out there. And what ever happened to learning how to eat real food.

Have you done all your pre-op testing? If so, get another opinion. That is a huge chunk of change for self-pay. My doc. required I buy his protein shakes, but it was $75 for two weeks.

Have you done all your pre-op testing? If so, get another opinion. That is a huge chunk of change for self-pay. My doc. required I buy his protein shakes, but it was $75 for two weeks.

I haven't done any pro-op testing. I talked to my PCP today and he gave the phone number to this place. In all fareness, I haven't even met with them yet. I found this info on this forum and the post was from 2007. I'm looking at other surgeons as we speak, I guess I'm just going to have to attend more than one seminar?

I haven't done any pro-op testing. I talked to my PCP today and he gave the phone number to this place. In all fareness, I haven't even met with them yet. I found this info on this forum and the post was from 2007. I'm looking at other surgeons as we speak, I guess I'm just going to have to attend more than one seminar?

I think attending more than one seminar is a great idea. They are free right?? (I'm military, sorry I didn't have to do that.)

I think attending more than one seminar is a great idea. They are free right?? (I'm military, sorry I didn't have to do that.)

Yes the ones I've found are in fact free. What branch of Military are you in? I was in the Army but I've been out since 2002 (82nd Airborne)

I'd sure go elsewhere.

They should not require you to use their protein powder (or any other product). They should advise on what to look for in a protein powder, like how many calories, how many grams of protein, what type of protein, etc. Any brand that meets the criteria should be fine.

Many docs have a "program fee" that covers stuff not covered by insurance, like visits with the dietician, support groups, pre-op classes, educational materials, etc. The surgeon that did my RNY charged $150 for that. I had to switch surgeons and my current surgeon charges $200 - and I had to pay that when I switched. $3500 is ridiculous.

As far as prescription costs, well, you're gonna have co-pays or whatever depending on your insurance. And most insurance companies don't cover everything. Like, I have Medicare and they only cover 80% of most stuff. I also have Medicaid and they covered most of what Medicare did not cover but if I'd only had Medicare, I would have owed a few thousand dollars.

Kelly

Yes the ones I've found are in fact free. What branch of Military are you in? I was in the Army but I've been out since 2002 (82nd Airborne)

My huband is in the Army. He started as a medic and changed his MOS to Pharm. tech.

Did you retire? If so you can go through the base for free.

My huband is in the Army. He started as a medic and changed his MOS to Pharm. tech.

Did you retire? If so you can go through the base for free.

No didn't retire, just served 2 yrs on active duty and once my time was up I got out to finish school.

The whole "HAVE TO" use their products seems shady to me. I'd look for another place.

I completely agree.

2007- so three years ago. I would be calling and asking if this is still in force or not (or see if that doctor/clinic has a website). This seems extremely excessive. In the 2+ years I've been here I've never seen that amount mentioned. And I would NOT be buying any crap they sell.. I am sorry but any doctor that forces you to buy his products from his center out of line, IMHO. He should make recommendations but you should be able to look for and see if you can find cheaper products (and often the ones you can find elsewhere are of better quality - like celebrate vitamins or BA...)

I mean.. it's fine if he wants to OFFER them for your convenience but to basically hold your surgery hostage to your purchasing products at a most likely inflated price smacks of something skeevy (is it even legal?? maybe.. maybe not?)

I live in Orange County and there are 3 programs very close together. The protien powder was something that I had to purchase too. To tell you the truth, I didn't use it as directed in the beginning, but love it now as a meal replacement. None of it went to waste. It seems to me that all the COE (centers of excellence) have the same requirements of a psych eval, nutritional consult, and pre-op testing for stress test. Co-pays are co-pays and you can't do much about that. If you like your center and the doctor, then relax and go with it. There are many many more changes coming your way. I am 8 months post-op and so very happy I did it. I have a friend going through a program in LA county and her requirements were a little different from mine. Back to the protein powder, it's worth it. The stuff i purchased from the doctor has 30grams of pro per serving and it's actually good. I love it in place of breakfast. Don't let these temporary changes derail your plan. k

Hi, there I hear WONDERFUL things about Dr. C... like Shiver said.. but another option if you want to look into my Surgeon. He is a professor at USC in Bariatric Surgery... excellent bedside manner... and he has 2 offices... His name is John Yadegar. He was sooooo AWESOME!.. I cant speak highly enough about him.. If you google him you can see what his patients say about him. Just my opinion. :)

Back to the protein powder, it's worth it. The stuff i purchased from the doctor has 30grams of pro per serving and it's actually good. I love it in place of breakfast.

But there are many brands out that that have that much protein - or even more. Why should you be required to purchase one particular brand? Maybe you like the taste of it but someone else might have different tastes. Or you might find the very same brand elsewhere for a better price, or a different brand with as much or more protein for a better price. Why should someone have to purchase a protein they don't like or a more expensive one just because their doc wants to sell it and make money on it?

Kelly

I strongly recommend talking with your doctor to ascertain why certain protein products are recommended and if any substitutions are allowed. Sometimes it's all about your health issues.

Edited by GloryRN

OMG!!!! If I wasn't already thankful to be living in the UK (as I already was!) I would be after reading these posts!!!

First of all - I was amazed at how much you all have spent on your ops - even with insurance! The NHS (National Health Service) paid for my op and I paid

I strongly recommend talking with your doctor to ascertain why certain protein products are recommended and if any substitutions are allowed. Sometimes it's all about your health issues.

There is absolutely nothing that doctor could sell someone that you cannot find cheaper and often of higher quality out on the open market... NOTHING. Vitamins, protein, etc etc.. it is a way to force his patients to line his pockets with EASY money that the insurance company can't cut him back on, plain and simple. NOTHING.

And additionally- we are not encouraged to buy products provided by them - and which are only another money making scheme!! I personally would walk away from ANY surgeon who tried to pawn things off on me like that! NO WAY would I trust that they had my interests at heart - just their own!!!

EXACTLY. Completely correct. I would as well

There is absolutely nothing that doctor could sell someone that you cannot find cheaper and often of higher quality out on the open market... NOTHING. Vitamins, protein, etc etc.. it is a way to force his patients to line his pockets with EASY money that the insurance company can't cut him back on, plain and simple. NOTHING.

I agree with Kel. There may be health reasons why you need a protein powder that is low in sugar or low in carbs or whatever. But I do not believe anyone has a health condition that means only one brand of protein powder (the brand the doctor happens to sell) is suitable for them. There are dozens and dozens of brands of protein powders out there and while they are not all created equal, I don't think any of them is terribly unique, either. There are many brands with 30 grams of protein, for instance, that are low in sugar and carbs and fat.

A good doctor should advise his patients about what kinds of protein supplements would be suitable - how much protein, how many calories, what type of protein to look for. It's fine for him to suggest some possible brands. And it's fine for him to sell some products if he wants to make it convenient for patients - many surgeons sell some products. Mine sells Bariatric Advantage vitamins. But she did not try to talk me into buying them from her or even into buying that brand at all. She said the vitamins I use are just fine. I just have the option of buying them from her if I want to. That's different that trying to insist I buy hers.

Kelly

Hi, there I hear WONDERFUL things about Dr. C... like Shiver said.. but another option if you want to look into my Surgeon. He is a professor at USC in Bariatric Surgery... excellent bedside manner... and he has 2 offices... His name is John Yadegar. He was sooooo AWESOME!.. I cant speak highly enough about him.. If you google him you can see what his patients say about him. Just my opinion. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm only 20minutes from USC so I will definitely look your doctor up. Also, I'd like to thank everyone for the input you've given me. I'm definitely doing my due diligence now and I've found a couple more seminars I'm going to attend.

Wow! Thats expensive!