• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Frank Chae
  • Hospital:St Joseph's
  • Current Weight:264
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Surgery Date:09/14/2010

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

I am Private Pay and it is a lot different then I thought it would be. I don't have to take all the steps insurance patients do. I met with the Surgeon, then the Nutritionalist and now I'm scheduled. I have 1 pre-op apt and then it's surgery time. I know all the basics, what to expect, etc. But I feel like there is something missing - something I need to know. I'm not worried, or think it's something that would prevent this surgery, I just feel like "wow, that was fast." Has anyone else out there been private pay and it was this easy??

Thanks!

Amanda :D

#2 elongreach

elongreach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Surgeon:Dr Moeinolmolki
  • Hospital:Greater Baltimore Medical Center
  • Start Weight:278
  • Current Weight:165
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):29.2
  • Surgery Date:07/21/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Since you are using your own money, you don't have to go through the hoops that most of us do since you don't have to go through the insurance company. So of course it's easy for them to pick a date for you and it to be really around the corner. The question is are you prepared for the surgery? Do you have enough time to make sure all of your vitamins and protein is available for the first few weeks? Did you do enough research? Do you need to see the nutritionist again before surgery?

Those are really the things that I would be thinking if I was getting my surgery a month or so after starting the process. Maybe some of that could be the worry in the back of your head? I'm sure you'll do fine though. Even if you had to wait three months, like myself, you would still think your date came up really quick. That's just how it is.

#3 mjune

mjune

TT Premium Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Height (ft-in):5-01
  • Start Weight:246
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:136
  • Surgery Date:06/21/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

I was self pay and did every test imaginable. Just make sure your surgeon has Blis insurance. My first surgeon did not and I ended up switching and having to do some testing over with the second.

I would not call my process easy. I did not have to get approval for everything which is much easier on the one hand, but the process still took several months. In part it was due to a false positive on a nuclear stress test that led to a cardiac cath. and a long delay. The process of paying of this stinking loan over the next 15 years will also be difficult. :eek:
June

Posted Image

#4 ajempson

ajempson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

WOW, three months is not long! Mine took longer, but because of me. I had to save some more money to be able to do this (and it's going to be tight because of that for a long time) I met with my surgeon in Janurary, but knew i couldn't get the money until August. He just tole me to meet with the nutritionalist when I was ready, so I called and made an apt for the end of July with her and then scheduled my surgery for Sept 14 (only because that works best for my job.) So I guess mine wasn't as quick as I thought, it just seemed so easy......... :) I'm so nervous and excited all in one. I wish it was tomorrow.

#5 ajempson

ajempson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

@ mjune. I don't have to have stress tests, etc. Maybe it's because of my age and that I am in fairly good health? I don't know, but even my pcp and endocrinologist don't think I need to go through all those tests. And thankfully, the hospital I'm having it at will set up payment arrangements, so I don't have to pay any interest, etc. You have to put $5000 down toward the hospital portion of the bill (plus pay the $5000 for the surgeon, $1300 for anastegiologist, $500 for surgical assist all up front) and then they set it up for you to make the remaining $10,000 in payments. You have 18 months to pay it off, if it takes longer, then they start charging interest. I am very fortunate for this. I will just be dirt broke for 18 more months. :(

#6 Cyndee

Cyndee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Start Weight:288
  • Current Weight:139
  • Goal Weight:???
  • Surgery Date:01/06/2010

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

I was private pay and did not have to jump through many hoops. Psych eval and History and Physical from my primary care physician. If I had health issues I would have needed more testing. It was relatively quick in the scheme of things. But I had to pay in full up front :(
GBS 1/6/10
High/Day of surgery/current/goal
288/279/148/thinner me!

Onederland (and 89lbs lost!) 7/8/10 (6 months 2 days post op)

100lbs down 8/5/10 (1 day shy of 7 months)

Scale finally moving after nearly 2 month stall! 9/29/10 175lbs

140lbs down Dec 27, 2010. Merry Christmas!

Lost half of me! 144 1/12/11

#7 ajempson

ajempson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:29 PM