• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Start Weight:281
  • Current Weight:178
  • Goal Weight:140
  • Surgery Date:12/28/2010
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

So I've been reading up on all the pre-op/post-op drinks, mixes, powders, etc.

My question is this, how much would you say you spend on these sorts of things? Will i need 4 drinks a day, 2 lbs of powder a week, etc. It looks like it's going to be expensive the first few weeks. Does insurance cover any of it?

TIA!
And the journey begins ...
Began research: 6/2010
Seminar: 7/16/2010
1st Consult: 8/5/2010
Diet Monitoring #1: 8/24/2010
Psych Eval: 9/3/2010
Diet Monitoring #2: 9/21/2010
Diet Monitoring #3: 10/21/2010
Diet Monitoring #4: 11/23/2010
Submitted to Insurance: 11/23/2010
Approval: 12/08/2010
2nd Consult: 12/16/2010
Surgery: Hopefully before 12/31!!

#2 Summerjean

Summerjean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Surgeon:Brennan Carmody
  • Hospital:St. Mary's
  • Start Weight:267
  • Current Weight:194
  • Goal Weight:155
  • Surgery Date:04/09/2010

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

In my post op diet I drank two shakes a day. Now I drink one shake that has 30 grams of protein in it. I pay about $24 for 18 shakes at costco. It can get expensive. It will take a while for you to figure out how to get all of your protein in.

#3 JudyB

JudyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

My question is this, how much would you say you spend on these sorts of things? Will i need 4 drinks a day, 2 lbs of powder a week, etc. It looks like it's going to be expensive the first few weeks. Does insurance cover any of it?

My husband and I are currently RNY pre-op and have tried a couple of different protein powders. Please keep in mind this is our personal opinion about the specific protein powders that we have already tried. First one tried was Designer Whey in Vanilla and Chocolate flavors, purchased at Walmart for 24.99 each. I'm sorry to say that I cannot tell you how many servings or the size of the container because neither one of us could stomach the taste and this product promptly found it's way into the garbage can (and my husband will eat/drink just about anything).

Next we tried Syntrax Nectar in Strawberry (tastes like Nestle Strawberry Quick), Chocolate Truffle and Pina Colada. We both LOVE this brand and was purchased at The Vitamin Shoppe for 34.99 per 2lb container that has 36- 1 scoop servings. Each scoop can be mixed in 8oz of water or skim milk. I find I can drink these either way & choose to drink w/milk in the morning for breakfast and water in the evening for my evening snack.

We were running low on our protein powder and on our next trip to The Vitamin Shoppe we saw there was a sale on the 3lb container of Isopure (all flavors. Original cost was $43.99 on sale for 34.99. The serving size is 44 scoops. I chose Cookies and Cream and Carribean Cooler (or something like that); well I was not at all pleased with the taste or the gritty texture. I tried it because people at our local support group was buying the 7lb bucket and loving it. Again, I was not impressed and I went back the next week to get my Syntrax Strawberry and Pina Colada. My husband who eats/drinks everything has volunteered to finish off the Isopure brand.

Unfortunately, I cannot say how much we use but using 2 scoops per day (23 gms protein in Syntrax Nectar per scoop) divided by 36 = 18 days. Now keep in mind we are pre-op and I'm not sure how much you drink when post-op (can't wait to be there).

Sorry to be so winded.......and it all comes down to a personal preference. I figure I won't be eating much so I may as well put my food money into my protein shakes and vitamins.

PS. Regarding insurance covering it; I would say most insurance companies will not cover it, but you should call and check with your insurance customer service department regarding your benefits.

Edited by JudyB, 23 July 2010 - 12:56 PM.
forgot something

#4 mistymee

mistymee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,040 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Hospital:Brigham & Woman's
  • Height (ft-in):5-04
  • Start Weight:317
  • Current Weight:182
  • Surgery Date:01/29/2008

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Please note that you should never stock up on powders prior to surgery.. so many times we tell people and they don't believe us but your tastes almost always change post-op... sometimes that change is temporary and sometimes- not. So, your best bet is to order samples from various companies to have on hand after surgery and try them then.

And though protein powders are expensive, most of us consider that we're not eating as much food so we save money there.. and we certainly aren't spending $$$ on eating out (fast food is not really all that cheap and how many of us ate far too much FF in our lives??)

And to be honest, unless you're having some health issues, there is almost no reason to continue to drink protein shakes after the first few months, unless it's just an quick and easy meal cuz you're in a hurry.

Freaked out about Stalls? READ This Thread!
You'll feel better, promise!

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily.”- Zig Zigler

#5 wijtman

wijtman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA
  • Surgeon:Dr. James Lau
  • Hospital:Stanford University Hospital
  • Start Weight:222
  • Current Weight:140
  • Goal Weight:150
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):22.9
  • Surgery Date:03/08/2010

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

I doubt any insurance would cover protein. Do you have a medical spending account - usually through your work - that takes pre-tax dollars and saves it for your medical expenses? If so, you probably can get reimbursed. It is your own money but since that money is not taxed you are saving some.
MaryAnn

http://life-after-wls.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook....maryann.wijtman

surgery / current / goal
222 / 140 / 150

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 adgttu

adgttu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Start Weight:281
  • Current Weight:178
  • Surgery Date:12/28/2010

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

I doubt any insurance would cover protein. Do you have a medical spending account - usually through your work - that takes pre-tax dollars and saves it for your medical expenses? If so, you probably can get reimbursed. It is your own money but since that money is not taxed you are saving some.

I was just thinking about this on the way home. I know it will be covered until the end of the year as all OTC vitamins, meds are. However, I think something has recently been passed that effective January 1, 2011 this is no longer applicable due legislation changes.

I appreciate all the feedback. I was just trying to figure out all the "hidden" expenses. I assumed the doctor would give a prescriptive type thing and I would have my co-pay and be done. Then, when I started reading about Isopure and its $4 a bottle cost at GNC, I got to thinking this must be a little pricey. I of course don't mind at all .. small price to pay to get rid of all this weight IMO.
And the journey begins ...
Began research: 6/2010
Seminar: 7/16/2010
1st Consult: 8/5/2010
Diet Monitoring #1: 8/24/2010
Psych Eval: 9/3/2010
Diet Monitoring #2: 9/21/2010
Diet Monitoring #3: 10/21/2010
Diet Monitoring #4: 11/23/2010
Submitted to Insurance: 11/23/2010
Approval: 12/08/2010
2nd Consult: 12/16/2010
Surgery: Hopefully before 12/31!!

#7 Cindy's Mom

Cindy's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Surgeon:John Yadegar MD
  • Hospital:Lancaster Medical Center
  • Start Weight:247
  • Current Weight:168
  • Goal Weight:130
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):40
  • Surgery Date:06/29/2010

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I totally agree with Mystemee.. I went out and bought 2 big jugs of Body Fortress Protein powder they sell it at Walmart 32 scoops per jug @ 17.00 dollars a jug.. I cant stand the "Strawberry" one any more when I really liked it pre-op.. As suggested try smples first since your taste buds will change..

Samples can be purchased at Vitalady.com or right now Chikes.com has 5 samples for free you just pay for shipping 6.95.

Loved the Cappucino from Syntrax "Nectar" to me it tastes like a Caramel Frapuccino from Starbucks and has 32 grams of Protein. It can get expensive but I have to tell you that the samples have helped tremendously with that since I dont have to toss out anything I dont like! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cindy's Mom :P

#8 poet_kelly

poet_kelly

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts
  • Surgeon:Dirk Rodrigez
  • Hospital:Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati
  • Start Weight:270
  • Current Weight:122
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):20.9
  • Surgery Date:11/04/2008

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Insurance won't cover protein supplements because they are not a prescription drug. They are an over the counter item, like most vitamins. Your flexible spending account may pay for it, though, with a letter from your doctor.

I spend about $100 a month on vitamins, minerals and protein. It's expensive. Yeah, I eat less food. But the food I buy is better stuff. I don't live on Rice a Roni and Mac n Cheese anymore. So I do not spend any less at the grocery store.

I was not prepared for the cost of supplements after surgery. My doctor told me to take Centrum vitamins (which are pretty cheap, but I later learned are not really adequate for us), Caltrate (which is pretty cheap too, but unfortunately is the wrong kind of calcium for us, and calcium citrate costs more) and B12. He said I didn't need iron. If I took what he recommended, it would not cost me nearly so much. Of course, I'd have osteoporosis and a serious iron deficiency and who know what other problems by now.

Kelly
RNY 11/4/08

surgery/current/goal
270/122/140