• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SakuraKat

SakuraKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:15 AM

I've just started on the pill. I did them many years ago in college and then did Depo for many years. I've been just relying on condoms for many years since.

I decided I wanted to start the pill again. Well actually I wanted to do Depo again, but my dr. is dead set against it because of my age and the issues with stroke, weight gain, etc. that comes with it.

My question is about absorption and effectiveness after wls. I'm post op 1 1/2 years. I'm down 183 pounds with about 40 more to go or so. I have been reading and I see warnings about it not being effective possibly after wls because of diarreha or vomiting. I don't have probs with those at all. I just was wondering if y'all have any knowledge about how the pill absorbs. I know some meds./vitamins don't absorb well. I assume my dr. would have thought of that, but maybe he didn't.

What experience have y'all had or what information do you have regarding BC Pills being effective based on absorption or if that is a factor at all. Are the odds the same for us as for anyone that has not had wls?

Thanks for your help.
Kathy
Open 4/21/04
350/167/125
5'4" (-183)

#2 lealphachienne

lealphachienne

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Surgeon:Dr. Potts
  • Hospital:Pomerado
  • Height (ft-in):5-03
  • Start Weight:235
  • Current Weight:150
  • Goal Weight:125
  • Body Mass Index (BMI):27
  • Surgery Date:05/28/2004
  • Surgery Type:Gastric Bypass

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:54 AM

I am not aware of any stasitics regarding BCP after WLS. However, women seem to become more fertile. I doubt that fertility is more from attaining better health than because of BCP failure. Have you considered non-hormonal methods? What about an IUD or a tubal? Hormones play havoc on your body and may put you at greater risk for all sorts of nasty things.
Marie
TT Gym Rat #25
A single bracelet does not jingle
www.nochilddiesalone.org
http://www.facebook.com/NCDAInc

#3 Dyann

Dyann

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:33 AM

I am sure that it is going to be variable absorption from person to person. You may have to seek out a reproductive endocrinologist and start the hormonal birth control, continue to use a barrier method (condom) and get blood levels of your fsh, estrogen, progesterone...etc to make sure they are having the proper effect.

You may want to have the levels checked before starting because you could be perimenopausal and may be able to use a lower dose contraceptive. Levels can start falling in your late 30's. That may lower your risks with the medication. Do you smoke?? If you do I can understand your MD's hesitancy about using it. The stroke rate is much higher over 40 years old in women who smoke.

Have you thought of an IUD??
Happy Relations!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]DYANN

Lap RNY 1/4/06....
46/19.8/23.5 BMI's 167.9 pounds gone forever as of 9/12/07 116.3%to goal

294.4/126.5/150
5' 7''
Jupiter, Florida
Dr. Jefferson Vaughan: GBP
Dr. P Duddly Giles: Plastic surgeon TT/BL 03.20.2007

#4 SakuraKat

SakuraKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:33 AM

I have a friend that just got preg using an IUD. Though I'm sure people also do with the pill. Somehow having something foreign inside my body like that has always put me off. I'm monitored by my dr. frequently for various things since my surgery. I have thyroid issues so take those meds and he monitors my blood. I had diabetes type II but that is about gone now thanks to the weight loss. I don't smoke. The pills he has put me on are Loestrin.
Kathy
Open 4/21/04
350/167/125
5'4" (-183)

#5 Christina

Christina

TT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:00 AM

My OBGYN put me on the pill in order to help curve my endometriosis so that when I was ready to have a baby it would be easier for me. However, she said to not use that as a form of birth control at all as she has seen many people get prego on the pill afterwards due to malabsorption issues.. however, that was MY Doctor who said that and you should consult your own physician for advice I think?

Anyway I think this is my last month taking the pill and by January we'll be ready to start trying.. hehehehe :)
Christina
Open RNY 03/31/2004
274/128/137 (131 Per Dr. C)
BMI: 47 / 22 :eek:

"There's nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility is being superior to your former self." - Ernest Miller Hemingway

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." - Henry Ford

#6 SakuraKat

SakuraKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

Awwww Christina that is exciting! Best wishes on all that! Jan. isn't too far away now! I will ask my doctor for sure. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me when he put me on them. My real prob. is that my dr. is just doing follow up for me after the surgery for the surgeon. The surgeon who is great at that didn't have a lot of helpful info. for after the surgery itself. I've been pretty much on my own with all that. I was never given any plan for eating or any guidelines at all of that sort. So while I"m thankful for the surgery, I'm on my own in finding out this other stuff. I do get my B12 shot once a month and did do the extra iron to help with the anemia that came. I'm not sure my doctor is well versed on the issue of the effectiveness of things based on absorption after a bypass. He does look things up, but it would be very helpful if I had a dr. that specialized in this sort of thing. I've read a few articles in pharmacy journals about meds post bypass. I need to just persue getting my tubes tied I know. In the meantime I don't want to get preg. I've got three great kids already and am quite done!
Kathy
Open 4/21/04
350/167/125
5'4" (-183)