flabrother

I'm tired of shopping at Casual Male/Big and Tall stores

58 posts in this topic

Keep up the great work, guys! I'm also down to XL or 2XL shirts from sizes I don't even want to remember. Can't even imagine where I'll be in six more months, but I'm anxious to get there! :)

Major (for me) NSV happened a few weeks ago: I was walking through Costco, and saw a sale on nice looking lightweight jackets. I haven't been able to buy more than socks at Costco in years, because their sizes were always too small. For the heck of it, I picked up a 2XL jacket and tried it on. Not only did it fit right, but I was able to zip it up easily, and without anything straining. I about did cartwheels! Needless to say, this jacket is now part of my daily wear. (As I said, a major NSV for me. LOL!)

Dave

Edited by Dave_NW

That is what I am looking forward to...more clothes in less luggage. Lower or no fees baggage on flights.

I can fit like 4 days of clothes plus a bathing suit and toiletries in a normal airline carry-on...looking forward to getting all week in there once this weight comes off!

It is addictive in the beginning, like many of us I have spent thousands in big and tall shops just to get clothing that fits.

Today I go to regular clothing stores and pick out of the regular sizes. I get to enjoy the selection and sales as well. From a 48 waist to a 32, from a 19 1/2 neck size to a 16. My closet is now filled with beautiful clothing at a fraction of the cost and the styles and colors are excellent. What a great feeling to look good all the time.

I love not having to buy men's clothes anymore! I used to regularly shop in the men's department for tshirts and sweaters. It's really satisfying to be able to fit into "normal" clothes in "normal" sizes (of course I know that with a 60% obesity rate in this county, those plus sizes are normal) and not have to be afraid to walk into certain stores.

On as side note, my husband is tall and very thin, and I have a really hard time finding clothes for him, too. Most labels/designers not make pants are more more narrow than they are long. I often have to buy his pants in the young mens section, so he's often dressed like a teenaged boy! I have to admit that it was easier for me to find plus sized clothes for myself than it is to find tall, skinny pants for him.

Ever try the Big & Tall section at JCPenney.com? I found they had a lot of unexpected sizes in things. Chances are good you could find him tall sizes in men's styles.

Dave

I have to admit, that I am looking forward to be in 46's. That would mean I could get my pants just about anywhere. As of right now I do not know that I will ever not be able to buy shirts at Casual Male. I am 6'4" tall and my legs are fairly short. I started in 6xlt shirts, now I am in 4xlt, but I think I may be able to move to 3xlt. If not I am at an in between size. My pants were at 56 or 58's and now I can fit a 48 pretty comfortably. I really like affliction, and MMA shirts (not just cause the brand but the style) so I will be excited when I can buy some of those.:)

congrats on your weight loss to date...I look forward to buying MMA Tapout and Affliction shirts too. Those, Ed Hardy and just normal sports shirts. With the 4 Aces we have in Philly, there are some great shirts out right now for the Phillies.

Once I hit my goal (I go for my final office appt before surgery Monday, YAY) I am going to the Men's Warehouse and spending a crapton of money. I haven't been able to go to a retail store and buy clothes in a LONG time.

I found that I only had to use the Casual male for pants, and I found a dickie store that had pants my size that were accaully a good price, around $24.00 but for shirts and other clothes I found Burlington Coat factories Big and tall had some great products and prices. I am only 3 weeks out and I can't wait till I can shop at regular clothes stores now.

I have to go buy pants. All my 42 jeans are too big. I want to see if I can get into 38's. I knd of doubt it but I am only a little more that two months out. I have lost 60 lbs since surgery and a little over 80 since the begining of the year. I really do not want to buy too much becuase I want to lose another 40 or so.

I still need the tall so I still may stay at the tall shops

Edited by gabedad

Hang tight guys. I am about 2 1/2 years out and am doing wonderful. I can go to Target and buy a full dress wardrobe (no suits) for under $200. At Casul Male it would have been over $$400. I had a penniculectomy this summer (skin removal from the lower abdomen) and can't wait until things settle and the swelling is completely gone. I will be hitting up the stores. I started at a 6XL shirt and 68" waist and now fit comfotably into an XL shirt and 42-44 pants.

Edited by Ag Man

I was able to buy size 38 jeans tonight . They'll probably last a month

Hit Walmart for the jeans...at under $20 a pair for Wranglers, it just makes sense (and they carry them in store up to 46")

Edited by PhillyDude

I can't wait to shop at regular stores. Casual Male has gotten way too much money from me over the years. Big and Tall stores are so expensive! I'm really looking forward to the day I will say goodbye and so long to the BIG MAN's store...

I know what your saying about Casual Male but soon you will be able to get $14.97 wranglers at Walmart and shop the clearance racks for $10 shirts everywhere. I love doing that these days, I have a bit more weight to lose before I get to my goal weight but it feels good to dress cheap and easy. My big goal right now is to have my waist measurement smaller than my length. I'm in 34x34's now but the next time I buy it will be 33 x 34's. Woohooooo....

On your way down in sizes you might want to shop ebay for clothes. A lot of them you will be giving away after a few months so why spend a ton.

I agree with everything said about those big and tall stores. Still pre-op but cant wait to strop shopping there. Being only 29 I find the style is either (Imo) old man or thuggish.

I agree with everything said about those big and tall stores. Still pre-op but cant wait to strop shopping there. Being only 29 I find the style is either (Imo) old man or thuggish.

Don't feel bad. I'm in my 40s and feel the exact same way. I look at some of their clothes and think "Who wears this stuff????"

As it is, since decent clothes were such a bother to find, my standard uniform is a pair of shorts and a knit polo. Can't way to have some real choice and real variety in clothes.

Getting out of Big & Tall/Casual Male was such a great feeling. Went from 46's and 4XL to 36/38 jeans/pants and XL/2XL shirts that I can buy anywhere. Never thought i'd enjoy going to the Mall to get clothes... but I do now..and choices. Cheap, expensive, doesn't matter. Jeans for 20 bucks at target, no more 55 "only" jeans. It's great.

OMG I just found this site tonight! It's got loads of Victorian and Cyberpunk fashions. I love some of these clothes. Even if I might not ever buy any of them, I'm chuffed that in about a year I COULD. Yeah!

This is definitely one of the things I'm looking forward to. I'm so sick of having only 1 place I can shop.. and having pretty much the same 4 or 5 shirts as every other fat guy in the country. I have even found myself doing some fantasy shopping lately.. browsing websites and thinking 'yeah Id wear that after I lose weight'.

Centech - saw your surgery is coming up in a couple of days. Best of luck.

Even though Big & Tall options have improved a little in my area over the past few years, Casuale Male & JCPenney are still the go-to places. As centech put it, I have the same 4 or 5 shirts as all of the other fat guys I know and work with.

I got a taste of regular shopping last year when I got down to 300lb on medifast and was able to buy from JCP's regular section. I absolutely cannot wait until the pounds start dropping and the options open up for what I can wear.

I'm most excited about walking into places like Gap/OldNavy and buying a comfortable sweatshirt that fits, or driving to Kohl's with the wife and picking up a dress shirt or a sweater, you know? And jeans... we pay SO much for B&T jeans... I basically wash the same 2-3 pair and wear them over and over again until they wear out. When I level out at goal, I'm going to have more jeans than I know what to do with.

Jeans for $13 at Costco absolutely rock.

Goodwill and Salvation Army for me! Can't wait. Had my gastric baypass monday and I am excited and pumped!

Bigbadcripple couldn't agree more about Goodwill. That's where my entire "new" wardrobe has come from. I needed to do something till my weight stabilizes. Not sure now if I will shop anywhere else in the future.

I think all of us agree on the Big and Tall store issue. Have you ever noticed that all of the major department stores carry large womens sizes....but not large men's sizes?

Yes sir! I have noticed that.

King size stuff is ok. They are pricey and some stuff doesn't fit right. Casual Male has some good stuff except for their jorts (no I'm not a FL fan. Go Dawgs) every pair I have split!

Edited by Bobert